Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it cheating to walk in place while watching TV?

Walking in place seems to be my preferred way of exercising. It's painless and keeps me moving instead of sitting. But it seems lots easier than actually walking or running. Do the steps still count?

Best Answer
123 REPLIES 123

I don't think it is cheating but if you feel like you are cheating, pick up the pace. Try jogging in place for a few minutes and see how you feel. 🙂

Best Answer

Definitely not cheating. I used to do it all the time. Now I have a mini-trampoline I use while watching TV! I walk or jump on there. It's a great workout. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I walk5 mile a day for 5 day just by standing in one spot is that still considered  walking

Best Answer
0 Votes
If people are tap dancing doing baby steps they are cheating themselves. If
they are lifting their knees high or jogging in place it isn't cheating.
Make sense?
Best Answer
0 Votes

It would cheat yourself if you are tap dancing little baby steps. Lift the knees high and break a sweat to do yourself justice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

no is it cheating if you are sitting and you tie your fitbit to your shoe and start steping NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm definitely not sitting down, jiggling my foot. Right now, I'm stepping in front of my computer, while I'm attempting to do a survey, and I'm also watching an episode of NCIS New Orleans.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My opinion is that MOVING is MOVING.  ANY moving is better than NOT moving.  Walking in place can be very exhilarating.  But what I choose, when I can't walk outside is my rebounder.  You can get a cheap but effective one on Amazon for $30.  I put THAT in front of the TV and can get a great core workout.  It strengthens legs, butt and core AND it's aerobic if you want it to be.  Next to ZERO impact and it feels like more of a workout that just walking in place.

So, move however you want to move and don't worry about "cheating".  It's your life, your body.  Move it or lose it...but that moving is however YOU want it. 

Best Answer

One has to come up with their own definition of cheating in order to answer the question. I'll say it's not cheating and it is cheating.

It's not cheating because walking in place does burn calories, certainly more than standing or sitting. So in terms of weight management, it's a good thing.

Where it can be considered cheating is that raising a foot while walking in place is far different than walking. Walking in place is raising each leg, walking on the ground is also having to push off your back foot to move forward. It involves a lot more muscles movement and effort. Try 15 minute of walking in place vs. 15 minutes of regular walking and compare the active minutes. Standard walking generates more active minutes, at least for me.

A good compromise is to turn walking in place into knee raises. Each step, raise your knee to waist height or higher. That will get the heart rate going, and if you sustain it, active minutes will accrue.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep. If they have to ask then they are cheating. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you aren't sweating, you are cheating yourself

Best Answer
0 Votes

your crule 

@Mukluk4 wrote:

If you aren't sweating, you are cheating yourself

Best Answer
0 Votes

I assume you meant to spell cruel. Truth hurts? My opinion about is that this is a discussion. Please don't verbally attack me again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

All sweating means is that you are pushing your body above what it is used to and means you are burning more calories

For some people that would be impossible, like those with a heart condition or a physical condition like an injury etc

Do whatever is comfortable for you and as time goes by pick up the pace/intensity

if you can run for hours, great, if you can only walk for 10 mins at a time, so be it, it is your body, losing weight etc takes time, but to damage it only takes one mistake

Best Answer

I think i get more out of walking in 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's better to do steps that moves you forward or backward. Walking in place isn't cheating exactly, but, your calorie burn will be off a bit as walking in place burns less calories than walking forward. 

I walk in front of the TV. But, I walk forward and backward or in a small loop in my livingroom. I want my calorie count to be close enough to be usable for weight loss. 

I don't think sweating is a good guide. I live in Florida and I'm sweating sitting perfectly still in the shade. I have a heart rate enabled fitbit, when I'm walking around in my livingroom I'm getting around 1000 steps every 10 minutes, so a decent pace. My heart rate is usually around 135 or so, so definitely not taking it particularly easy. But, I'm not sweating because I'm walking around in the air conditioned house. I can do that a lot longer than I could do the same activity outside in 90+ temperatures. 

Now, is it a cardiovascular activity? No. But, it can easily be if you switch to jogging forward and backward. I've gotten my heart rate up to 160+ or so jogging in the house, in the air conditioning in front of my TV with no treadmill. 

I'm doing extra walking to have more calories to eat, that's my goal. So, walking around in my livingroom works perfectly fine for that, I just don't recommend walking in place. Move forwards and you're fine. 

People have this hangup that you have to do exercise outside or in a gym or on a piece of equipment. None of that is necessary. If you are walking to have more calories to eat, you can do that anywhere. If you are trying to improve your heart health, you may be able to get your heart rate high enough jogging in front of your TV without leaving the house; I know I can. But, people who are in much better condition may not be able to jog fast enough in the house to improve their heart health. I still can just fine. 🙂

Best Answer

Not at all.  I do this a lot of the time and I find it easier to adjust my pace and therefore my pulse this way rather than bumping into people on the pavement or tripping over tree roots.  I regularly get into PEAK and can hold it there until I have my 10 minutes exercise done and then I can slow down through Cardio etc until I'm ready to stop and then use the Relax feature for full recovery to rezting bpm.Screenshot_20170627-083701.pngScreenshot_20170627-093702.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

I disagree with your comment about people with a heart condition.  We are just the type that need to strengthen our heart muscles.  I had a double by-pass in 2010 and I used to think just like you do but I was wrong.  I can now get to 185 bpm (and hold it there) and it's great to get a bit sweaty for that satisfaction factor.  Be careful though.  Start gradually and don't do it for prolonged or extended periods.  I max out at 15 mins plus cool down time.  I already posted a couple of screenshots of my exercise page.  It can be done.  Just to echo the FitBit mantra - before embarking on any exercise programme consult with your doctor or other health professional - and not just the receptionist at the local gym.

Best Answer
0 Votes

WOW!  I just returned to fit bit after more than two years and I actually do remember this topic and I am impressed that people are still responding.

And I still do the same thing.  Until the dogs start barking because they think if I'm standing I should take them out.

Best Answer
Welcome back. Love rhe dogs attitudes. I only have one but she looks at
me as if I'm stupid. I started walking round the house and she followed
me; now if she wants a walk she will follow my route and rattle the food
dish. All on her own. Clever girl. Only 15 this autumn. John
Best Answer