Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to walk a 10K hour?

I think I just walked between 6-7K in like 45-50 minutes.

What's the fastest you've done a goal? Or how much can you get done in certain amount of time?

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

OK. I was wrong. I walked 6,471 in one hour. oh well. that's still a good jaunt.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fastest 3 miles (Almost a 5k) walking is 47:32.  15:42 pace.  6104 steps

My fastest 5 miles walking is 1:25:18. 16.45 pace. 10,708 steps

My fastest 6 miles (Almost a 10k) walking is 1:41:23 16:49 pace. 15,529 steps

My goal has been to hit 15 minute miles, or 4 mph.  During my faster 3 mile I had one mile at 14:26.  So I did it for one of the three miles!  I'd like to be able to walk 6 miles in 1:30 or less, and 4 miles in 60:00 or less.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

@JohnRi - It sounds like you're on your way to getting there. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

it is good! now take care of those feet!

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anything is possible.I walk 10K in 70 Minutes. Would like to  make it shorter.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can't walk 10k in a hour but you can run and get it.

David Major
Best Answer

Depends on your speed. Are you walking or jogging or running? Are you outside or inside? When I walk outside, I'm probably about the same pace as you, but if I'm jogging in place, I can do 10,000 steps in an hour.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm pretty sure Olympic style speed walkers can log 10,000 steps in an hour, and then some.  🙂

Edit: I just looked it up, it's called "Racewalking".  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racewalking

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRSunrise wrote:

@JohnRi - It sounds like you're on your way to getting there. 

Yesterday's walk. 

4.08 miles 1:05:16 15:59 pace.  At 4 miles my pace was 15:52.

Total steps 8518. 

I was walking a little under 4 mph.    There are people that can walk a 13 minute mile which is 4.5 mph, and a 12 minute mile is 5 mph.

So 10,000 steps in an hour is possible.  I don't know if I'll ever do it.  But it is possible.

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@CRSunrise wrote:

I think I just walked between 6-7K in like 45-50 minutes.

What's the fastest you've done a goal? Or how much can you get done in certain amount of time?

That is a good pace.

Here is a walk i did today...

Capture.PNG

I would have to dig through my records, but I think I did this walk at close to a 4.5 mph pace once. Not sure though.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I watched the beginning of a youtube video on racewalking so I could see what these people's form looks like ... it just looks like an awkward jog. Personally I find it extremely uncomfortable to try to walk really fast. If you just want to get more steps per hour why not choose a slow jog ... it seems much less awkward ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

I watched the beginning of a youtube video on racewalking so I could see what these people's form looks like ... it just looks like an awkward jog. Personally I find it extremely uncomfortable to try to walk really fast. If you just want to get more steps per hour why not choose a slow jog ... it seems much less awkward ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese wrote:

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

I keep trying a slow jog and seem to keep hurting myself. I try and do it smoothly and with as little impact as I can, and it feels pretty good while I am doing it. But the next day I notice that my knee or my groin muscles are killing me to the point that I have a hard time just walking for a while.

I think the difference is that walking there is always one foot on the ground so you are only impacting with your weight, while running there is a point where both your feet are off the ground and you land on one foot with up to seven times your body weight (depending on how you run).
I am going to keep trying to jog because I am having a hard time keeping my heart rate in the cardio zone (unless I am on verry hilly terrain) just walking, even at 4+ mph paces.
I'm going to be 59 in less than 2 months so I guess I just have to work on stregthening my legs and working on a better style.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese, have you tried the C25K (Couch to 5k) program ? It is a slow progression of jog/walk intervals that progresses you slowly up to the point of running a 5K. You might just be trying to do too much at once. The C25K program is designed to help you avoid overdoing it at first.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

@bcalvanese, have you tried the C25K (Couch to 5k) program ? It is a slow progression of jog/walk intervals that progresses you slowly up to the point of running a 5K. You might just be trying to do too much at once. The C25K program is designed to help you avoid overdoing it at first.

I heard something about that and will look into it. Thanks.

I recently started a walk/jog kinda thing on my own and just did 3 miles about half and half. I am also working on developing a midfoot strike and bought a good pair of running shoes (Brooks Transcend 3's).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese, that sounds like a good progression. If you can build up to running without injury, you will not be disappointed. Running burns more calories per minute than just about any other exercise. There is no way I would have gotten to my current fitness, weight and body fat percentage without running. I simply don't have enough free time to burn that many calories walking. I'm not trying to be critical of walking because it's definitely good for you and it's something everyone (disabled individuals excluded of course) can and should do. It's just not as efficient at burning calories as other exercises. In fact, now that I have a fitbit I definitely walk more than I used to and I think overall that's a great addition to my activity profile.

Best Answer

I finally hit 4 miles in under 1 hour yesterday.  My pace was 14:20 for the 4 miles. 

It was only 7,747 steps in 57:20.  4.18 MPH.

To do 10K, 6.2 miles in one hour.  Wow that's fast.  That would be over 6 mph.  Under 10 minute miles.

My fastest mile is only in the 13:35.

There are world class speed walkers than can walk a miles in 10:00  So it is possible. Is it likely that you or I will ever do it?  No, probably not a chance.

Best Answer

@JohnRi wrote:

I finally hit 4 miles in under 1 hour yesterday.  My pace was 14:20 for the 4 miles. 

It was only 7,747 steps in 57:20.  4.18 MPH.

Thats AWESOME man!!!

Good job.

Feels good to break that 4 mph barrier doesn't it?

Best Answer

I crunched the numbers and you'd have to walk approximately 167 steps each minute for an hour duration to hit 10,000 steps. Diving deeper into these numbers, that's approximately 2.78 steps per second for an hour duration.

Is this do-able?

Spoiler
I think so.

Am I able to do it?

Spoiler
NOPE!
Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes