Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it worth it to buy a treadmill, or will it become an expensive clothes hanger?

ANSWERED

I go to the gym and I use their treadmill, but I think to myself that I would use it more frequently if it was sitting in my living room.  I could walk/run while watching TV, listening to my tunes, whatever.  But I also see friends who use theirs as lawn art, a place to hang clothes, or inevitably, on Craigslist.  What do you think?

Best Answer
0 Votes
61 REPLIES 61

I bought a used treadmill off of craigslist and use it a lot.  Find a good used one and then if you don't use it you're not out that much.  I bought a Nordictrack A2350 for $200.  Also if you wear it out in year or two you can get another used one and still be under the cost of new.  Just make sure you do some research on the used models you find before buying.  A search on the model number should get you lots of info if you're willing to dig a little.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

we're not all blessed with nice climates.... some places rain all the time and at the moment it's dark and cold too.

What would you say about this Smiley Happy :

2014-01-24_1822.png

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I own a treadmill and an elliptical, both are excellent. But the elliptical is better for my knees, and if I just want to run indoors, that's where the treadmill comes in, but if you have sore knees, or want a safe whole body workout, an elliptical is the way to go. Heart

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@WendyB wrote:

One I had one I used it daily. I loved it

May I ask why you had to stop using it, then?

Because I had to go for non weight bearing exercise due to injury. So I got a Stationary bike to replace it and I go swimming now.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Dominique,

I give you a lot of credit. You prove it can be done!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kapalua wrote:

Dominique,

I give you a lot of credit. You prove it can be done!

It may very well have been the coldest day of the winter! Temperatures today were up to -5°C (+23°F😞

26-Jan-2014 -5C

Where I am, I can really work out in any weather, it's just a question of having the right gear. It's much easier to work out in extremely cold and dry conditions than if it is extremely hot and humid.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dominique that is impressive. you are either very dedicated or perhaps a bit mad! Its the rain and the wind that get me, just horrible and uncomfortable. I guess you soon warm up running (or even walking)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dominique Brrrrr........ But I would be out there as well. Only thing that stops me from my walk is injury.

I Just bundle up more when its colder. But it doesnt get that cold here.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I just got a Landice 7 and I love it. I decided to get a treadmill because I get about 300 emails daily and I thought it would be better for my health to go through them while walking than sitting on the couch. I got a 27" monitor and an Apple TV and now I'm good to go. I either read my email using my iPad and the Apple TV or watch TV. The Landice is fantastic. It is extremely quiet and has a great deck. It comes with a lifetime warranty on all parts and I would definitely buy it again. It actually feels more stable than many gym treadmills I've used. Prior to getting the Landice, I tried buying two different NordicTracks, but the company kept messing up my orders. I figured that if I was successful in purchasing one and it went bad, I would have no one to blame but myself. As a result, I went to multiple fitness stores where I could test the treadmills and buy the one that fit me best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@humanista  - how do you like your Apple TV - I 

@humanista wrote:

I just got a Landice 7 and I love it. I decided to get a treadmill because I get about 300 emails daily and I thought it would be better for my health to go through them while walking than sitting on the couch. I got a 27" monitor and an Apple TV and now I'm good to go. I either read my email using my iPad and the Apple TV or watch TV. The Landice is fantastic. It is extremely quiet and has a great deck. It comes with a lifetime warranty on all parts and I would definitely buy it again. It actually feels more stable than many gym treadmills I've used. Prior to getting the Landice, I tried buying two different NordicTracks, but the company kept messing up my orders. I figured that if I was successful in purchasing one and it went bad, I would have no one to blame but myself. As a result, I went to multiple fitness stores where I could test the treadmills and buy the one that fit me best.

I walk on my Precor Treadmill (which I love) in the morning for two hours before work and read on my iPad - I was thinking of getting Apple TV - I'm not sure if I can run my internet through my old projection tv - which was one of the earlier hdtv projection big screens.  How do you like the Apple TV and what exactly do you use it for?  For streaming? 

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

I love the Apple TV. I actually have two - one for my living room TV and one for my treadmill. On the treadmill, I use my Apple TV to mirror my iPad to my 27" monitor where I spend the bulk of my time going through my 300+ emails daily. I find a few benefits 1. There is less strain on my neck reading on the monitor which is at eye level versus looking down to read on my iPad (although the Landice's book rack is pretty high, I would still have to look down). 2. There is less bounce or vibration when reading on the monitor. In the past when I used treadmills at the gym, I had to train myself to ignore the bounce. Now I feel I read more efficiently because the magazine isn't moving. 3. The print is much bigger when mirrored on the 27" monitor and I think that also allows me to read faster.

I did use the Apple TV to stream Amazon Prime today and it was great too. I am actually looking forward to catching up on Downton Abbey while on my treadmill using my Apple TV and closed captioning. The two hours flew by.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have a treadmill in front of a TV that has earphones. It's great for overcoming the treadmill noise. If I don't channel surf during the ads I get bored. I need to walk at 2.7 mph or faster for the minutes to count as active.
Best Answer
0 Votes

We've had one for several years, and we love it.  Of course, when the weather is nice I walk outside, but here in Houston, the summers are hot and sweltering, and this winter has been cold and wet.  Ours in in a spare room with a TV, and I frequenty have my IPad handy as well to browse or read (lightly) while I walk.  (Ours is a Landice, too--it's awesome.)

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, these days, it is -5 and dropping here in the US!!  Up to this point, I have been using the treadmill at the gym.  I decided that having one in the house will just take up space.. I need the excuse to leave and focus on my fitness.. I don't mind doing that at a gymnasium.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used to love the weather in Minnesota, even when it was zero degrees. But then I regained my sensibilities and I just don't want to be out running when it is bitterly cold anymore.  Minnesota is funny that way with its four seasons:  Winter, Still Winter, Road Construction Season, and Winter is Near.  

All of that cold weather is the reason why I bought a NordicTrack Elite 9700 Pro treadmill and it has iFit integrated into it. Totally worth it. TOTALLY. I love it and it is worth every penny. NordicTrack has expensive treadmills, but in the long run, NOT REALLY. Why? Because you can expect a NordicTrack treadmill to last a long, long time. I bought a top of the line model because it has a big motor that doesnt work as hard and lasts much longer.  There are several other manufacturers that offer treadmills, ellipticals, and incline trainers with iFit integration.  It isn't the cheaptest option but it does keep your exercise interesting. Highly recommended. But that is just me. 

If you join iFit, feel free to look for me there under the username Farmboyphotography.  🙂    If you want to share iFit routes, feel free to hit me up! I have created lots and lots of them all over the world. Keep stepping!!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me, I have arthritis and wet, cold weather causes me pain.  Having a treadmill has been great.  I still walk outside whenever I can but on days when it would be painful, I walk indoors. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I LOVE my treadmill, I have a very sedentary 10 hour a day job and I live in a very rural area with no safe sidewalks or trails. If it weren't for my treadmill I would never get my goal miles in each work day.  I am on it 90mins before work and I have a TV on usually. Also it's right next to a window in my office with a beautiful view of the mountain and our pond w/ducks/birds/otter to watch play.  So easy to hop on and get an extra 10-15 mins here and there in the evening when I've nothing else to do.  Got mine at Costco and it's a pretty decent model w/the IFIT compatibility.  (So fun because you can do 5k races each day with other runners/walkers and get your results!)  Anyways, love mine, and TOTALLY think they are worth it.

Best Answer

I got my treadmill in 2001!  I love it so much 🙂  I watch all my TV on it - DVR or Netflix an something I can't wait to watch the next episode of and I'm hooked 🙂  I generally just do about 50-60 minutes on it every day walking at full incline (12% on my treadmill) at about 3.6mph or so.  It's enough to be in calorie burning mode but I'm not so tired that I can't focus on the show.  

Anyway, I have put on literally thousands of miles on my treadmill and it's the one thing I would NEVER want to live without.  Even when talking to DH about living in an RV (not seriously, just kind of dreaming talk) that's what I think, "I don't know if I could live without my treadmill!"  LOL 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good point. I walk outside daily and I love it! But there are times when I would like to just stay in and put on a movie or music and walk/run in my house. Robot Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Holy cow! Now I feel like a wimp deciding to run inside on my treadmill when it's only 40 degrees F. HA! You are stronger than I am! 

Best Answer
0 Votes