Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is wearing your Fitbit Charge on you ankle fair?

ANSWERED

I have recently started wearing my FitBit Charge 2 on my ankle and have noticed a significant increase in the number of steps recorded. Does anyone else do this. My husband says I'm cheating but I feel like I'm getting a more accurate count of steps. I'm 5'3", so have a shorter stride than he does which, to me, translates into more steps that are being accurately counted. I did have to buy a larger band so the instrument would fit on my ankle.

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47

I know that this is a zombie thread, but it is an interesting idea to wear a Fitbit on your ankle. All of the models I’ve owned (Charge HR, Versa, Blaze and Charge 5) have been pretty accurate on the wrist, so I don’t think I’ll make any changes here. 

The most important metrics for me when exercise walking are heart rate by time; maintaining a high enough HR for a long enough period of time, with steps and speed tied for a distant third. I’m curious whether Fitbit can read HR at the ankle?

Active: Charge 5, Blaze
Retired: Charge HR, Versa
Happy Fitbit User since 2016
Best Answer
0 Votes

As long as you move the arm, if worn on the arm, if worn on the ankle , just move the leg..You can actually just sit and move that body part and get the steps..

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Pppedig Well yes you can. But it rather defeats the purpose.  If you want to cheat just tie it to some mechanical device - why bother with moving anything?

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The algorithms for counting steps are designed to work assuming the Fitbit is worn on the wrist.  If you wear it on your ankle you are likely to get less accurate results.  

If you do not wish to wear your Fitbit on your wrist, Fitbit recommends wearing it on your body, close to your core - for example in a hip pocket or for women tucked into a bra.  That will give the most accurate counts and is true for all Fitbits, even the ones that do not have an “on clip” option.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree! I don't care about calorie burn either. I'm 5'2" 112 lbs. and eat a strict low carb diet. Steps and heart rate are what I'm concerned about - muscle activity, balance, cardio, movement are the things that make me feel better and keep me strong. At age 71. The steps on the watch may not be 100% accurate but are a good metric of how active I've been. That, and my persistent coach/Australian Shepherd dog, are what motivate me when I'm being lazy. 

Best Answer

I'm 71 also!  Still rockin!

Best Answer

I use it for steps, heart rate, distance, sleep, and as a regular watch/alarm/timer. Steps may be the reason I bought the Fitbit, but the other things make it worth the price. Like having all those things in one device. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
You still get your sleep data wearing it on your feet? Maybe I try it too

Get Outlook for iOS<>
Best Answer
0 Votes