Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping healthy is not that hard!

We all have a friend who is always doing healthy stuff and eating well and the only thing we can think of is... I'd really like to be healthier and be more active and eat well and do more for my life. But the truth is that it's just a one-second thought. After a while, we get back to our regular lives, forget and do nothing about it.

As everything in life, balance is the key for things to work. It's the same thing with our daily routines and activities and doing different things everyday is the key for living a healthier and more happy life.

I'd like to share five things I do everyday to stay on track that most others take for granted and in the end will make you feel better about yourself.

1. Wake up 10 minutes earlier.

I'm the first one struggling with this one. I even have a shirt that says "Not a morning person" and believe me when I say that I would wear it everyday if I could. I've tried to set my alarm just 5 or 10 minutes earlier every day. It doesn't only give me more time to get ready for the day, but it also lets me completely wake up, fall back into reality and start my day fresh by stretching a little. If you do yoga, you will know how positively this habit can influence your day. Of course, you don't need to know anything about yoga for this. Just stretch out as desired, and I bet you'll feel a lot better than just jumping out of the bed rushing for the day.

Discussion Wake up.gif

2. Eat more fruits and vegetables.

Sometimes fresh fruit in the morning is taken for granted and if you don't have much time to do something elaborate, fruit will be an excellent option as you don't really need to cook anything. You just need to just chop the fruit  (you can use whatever you like as apples, strawberries, oranges, pineapples, kiwis and other berries) in decent sizes and put it all in a bowl, add yogurt or honey and voila! You are all set with a delicious combination of flavors, textures and vitamins that your body will be thankful for something other than fried stuff that will not do much good.

Discussion Fruit.gif 

3. Use the stairs!

Yeah, you will hate me the first couple of weeks and it can seem like you're never getting there but trust me, it totally improves your body condition.

I'm a first-hand witness of this because in the building where I work, there are four elevators and you can really feel you're in an ancient battle fighting to get a spot in one of them with the people around you. So, I decided I would remain a civilized person and decided to take the stairs. Did I mention I work on the 9th floor? Well, as I told you before... I felt I was leaving a little piece of my lungs on every step for the first couple of weeks, but I'm really impressed how after about 4 months of doing this almost on a daily basis I can get to the 9th floor while singing <insert favorite song here> better than Frank Sinatra would. (Nah, I'm not that a good singer but you get the idea).

So, you should give that a try. You will not only exercise your legs but you will also oxygenate your brain which will get you in a good mood for starting the day.

up stairs

4. While at work: Walk around.

Walking around will keep you active, prevent you from suffering any illness caused by a sedentary lifestyle and by walking around you see things in a different way and thus, be more creative. Take a small break from what you are doing, take a walk around, breathe fresh air and let the magic happen!

5. Last but not least, Drink Water.

We all know how good water is for our body but the story is different when trying to drink it. In my case, I don't really like it because it tastes like nothing, but you need to know how important it is for the good functioning of your organs and to keep your skin hydrated and everything running well inside of you. I just saw this water challenge idea and I have really no idea who started it, but I think this is great when getting you in the habit of drinking more water.

Discussion Water.jpg

So, that's it from me. These are things I try to do everyday to stay active and be in a good mood. I'd like you to share something you do everyday to stay active! Better if you have found a way to do it when you don't have much time. I'm excited to see what you are all up to!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

Some fruit, like berries, don't have as much sugar as others, and they have excellent nutritional value and anti-oxidants. But we need to incorporate more greens in our diet. 

To health!

Best Answer

Hey, Welcome! @Bogdel Berries are the best, I could eat them everyday. I love them! Heart

Solange | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit  With the exception of figs, raisins and dates, fruits are all very low in carbs/ glycemic loads.  Reference  Table 3.1 The Low-Starch Diabetes Solution by Rob Thompson MD  (available from Amazon.com and should be required reading for us all :-))

Regards,

Gary

Gary, Canada,
Charge HR, Charge 2
Best Answer

Low in carbs, sounds like fruits are the solution then haha. Thanks for participating in this thread @garybartlett and I'll try to get the book and read it.

Have a great day! 😄

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

Keep it green guys! Smiley Very HappyHeart fruits and veggies are the way to go! 

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer