Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legendary January  2024 — Step Challenge and Resolutions

Welcome to 2024. It is a new year, a new month, and time to do something new, something legendary; or at least to get another monthly challenge underway.  So try out something new … a diet or exercise change, less drinking (dry for a month?), more vegetables, going to bed earlier, learn a new skill … But in this case, commit for just a month and see how it goes.  You can do anything for a month, and if it still makes sense on January 31, try to make it ordinary come February. Or adapt it a bit.

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The theme this month?  It is an old favorite for me; street art or hidden pictures.  Street art is any graffiti you come across and any art designed or built into architecture.  Hidden pictures are designs in nature that might be there on purpose (someone carved something into, or hung something on a tree, or a cairn you find or build yourself) or might be something you see in a natural formation (a shoulder or face in a mountain).

Why the long face?Why the long face?

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
118 REPLIES 118

12 January

10,000 steps a day for 15 days                      7/15

10 days over 12,000                                         6/10             

6 days over 15,000 steps                                 2/6           

35 exercise sessions (swim, bike, walk, gym, dance)  14/35

100km on my bike                                             -/100

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                      2/3

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

13 January 

10,000 steps a day for 15 days                      8/15

10 days over 12,000                                         6/10             

35 exercise sessions (swim, bike, walk, gym, dance)  15/35

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                      3/3

For some reason I can't add the picture! Never had that problem before....

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 11

50 floors every day we're at home.

11/31

3 walks with Walter the collie every day, wherever we are.

11/31

Play the piano to Walter every day.  

Still on Edvard Grieg, and still a happy dog.

11/31

In bed by midnight every day.

11/31

..and by 11pm at least 25 days.11/25
Cleaning/DIY/gardening every day when I'm at home.11/31

10,000 per day

11/31

Make some forward progress after my referral appointment.

Should hear something next week....

/1

3 Scavenger Hunt photos

None yet, but I love the theme!

/3
Best Answer

Legendary January 2024 - Days 12, 13, 14

5,000 steps/day - 3/15x

7,500 steps/day - 5-10x

10,000 steps/day - 2/5x

Stretching exercises - 10/15x

Line dance class - 1/4x

Pilates class - 1/3x

Photo Challenge: 0/3

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been looking for a tree face all month, and finally found one with the ghost of a smile!

IMG_0067.jpeg

Best Answer

15 January

10,000 steps a day for 15 days                      10/15

10 days over 12,000                                         7/10             

35 exercise sessions (swim, bike, walk, gym, dance)  19/35

I'll try loading my picture again lol

Here is the picture I was trying to load yesterday. Worked today!

20240113_114937.jpg

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Legendary January 11 through 14

11.2K Steps/Day, 23 Working Days: 01/23

10K Steps/Day 8 Off Days: -/8

2000 Calorie Limit/Day: 13/31

IF Daily (12 hr weekday/16:8 weekend): 14/31

Weights 2x/week: 2/8

Stretch 4x/week: -/15

Squats 30/day: -/10

80oz Water daily: 2/31

Lose 3 pounds: --/3

Photo Scavenger Hunt: -/3

Total Steps: 81,689/337,000

Best Answer
0 Votes

That’s a good one @NellyG. What kind of bird do you think it is in the middle?

@Vidd - I’ve been having a hard time with tree faces too. Congratulations on finding one. I got lucky this weekend with a beech tree. I’ll post some pics later.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Baltoscott It's a red tailed black cockatoo. Native to three areas in Australia, one of them being here where I live. You can only see the bright red tail feathers when they are in flight. They are quite striking.

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I love this. I am just now seeing this part of the "Fitbit" community after many years of owning and wearing my Fitbit even during my sleep. I am a believer in "Better late than never." I LOVE this challenge and will commit to no alcohol for one month beginning today. I have also committed to walking a minimum of 1 mile per day. 

Good Luck and Strength to you all!

Lose2Win67$

Best Answer

Update.  So far I am on track and some days exceeding my goals.  I’m down 2 pounds.  My goal is to lose 3 lbs a month.

Best Answer

Yesterday I went hiking looking for faces and woodpeckers in the woods. I found both! This beech tree had three faces, and a red-belly woodpecker shot off just as I got my lens up. A little red flash!

Red bellyRed bellyAnd he's awayAnd he's awayPig profile - ears bent over top right, eye below, and nose below that.Pig profile - ears bent over top right, eye below, and nose below that.two eyes at the top where the twig is pointing,with a small mouth underneathtwo eyes at the top where the twig is pointing,with a small mouth underneathA squid peeking out of the water.A squid peeking out of the water.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 15

17K steps/day for 25 days  11/25

1 pushup for 25 days

14/25

13 weight-lifting days 

7/13

post 3 scavenger pics

3/3

Sleep 6:10 hours + 20 days or more during the month 

12/20

1 pull-up for 25 days

14/25

Unicycle: 15 mins/day for 22 days 

10/22

Mostly Dry January (no alcohol) days 4/25
Beat January 2023 bike mileage (165.5 miles) 115.4
100 zone minutes 20 days. 

12/20

I'll admit this one is a stretch, but ... Abe Lincoln lying down in the woods. Top hat near the trunk of the tree, beard a bit further down, followed by top coat spreading out and then legs as you get toward the bottom. 

Abe Lincoln having a napAbe Lincoln having a nap

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott Love your tree faces!

16 January

10,000 steps a day for 15 days                      11/15

10 days over 12,000                                         8/10             

6 days over 15,000 steps                                 3/6           

35 exercise sessions (swim, bike, walk, gym, dance)  21/35

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Legendary January 15

2000 Calorie Limit/Day: 14/31

IF Daily (12 hr weekday/16:8 weekend): 15/31

Stretch 4x/week: -/15

Photo Scavenger Hunt: -/3

Total Steps: 88,544/337,000

Snow hit early today.  Definitely was not expecting to wake up to 2" of snow.  We were supposed to start around 10 am and cap off at 4" tops.  I have a feeling we are getting more.

Best Answer

Thanks @NellyG 

We got our first snow (at least with accumulation) of the year last night. About 5 inches at my house (as measured on the top of the picnic table next to Jayhawk and Cali in the pic below).  Forecast is below freezing for about a week, and possibly more snow on Friday. So it will be around for a while.  One result of my clearing efforts was the hidden faces of some garden gnomes next to the driveway. One of them has a shovel, but I expect he'll just wait it out. Lazy gnome. :-🎅

Jayhawk and CaliJayhawk and CaliGet to work!Get to work!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Better late than never! I just started exploring the community today and found this.....so here we go!

Goals for January 2024 & Where I am so far.....

10,000 steps a day for 15 days                      4/15       **Personal Bests- 17,679, 23,324  

12 exercise sessions                                      3/18 stretch sessions                                          -/8

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                   -/3

4 Organize Goals                                          -/4

1 Yard /Garden Goal                                     -/1

Stretch!!!! I NEED this!

Float session

Get MORE sleep

Business Goals

Probate Goals

Best Answer

Hi Jotex!

Happy Stay Warm day. haha, It's unusually cold here, and all my plants are wrapped as best as possible. I have a question or two. I am curious as to your detailed list, and see many others following a similar pattern. Would you please share the specifics of your list? For instance, Your exercise commitments begin with "5,000 steps per day," but I don't know what 4/15x stands for. Can you tell I've been away from fitness for a bit? Lol. 

Thank you for your support! 

Shawn 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Shawn @Lose2win67  welcome back to fitness. Everyone sets their own goals and methods for reporting them. I copy/paste from day-to-day and change dates and update totals, for example, as I am on my cell phone. My step count varies from 5,000 a day when I am visiting friends or in meetings (all kinds) sitting, or painting (like yesterday), to 7,500 or 10,000+ on more active days. The x means number of days. Hope this helps. Happy stepping = stay warm! 

Legendary January 2024 - Days 15, 16

5,000 steps/day - 4/15x

7,500 steps/day - 6/10x

10,000 steps/day - 2/5x

Stretching exercises - 10/15x

Line dance class - 2/4x

Pilates class - 1/3x

Photo Challenge: 0/3

I haven’t seen anything for this month’s challenge, but I finished painting this yesterday. 

Jotex_0-1705495440063.jpeg

Best Answer

Legendary January 16

2000 Calorie Limit/Day: 15/31

IF Daily (12 hr weekday/16:8 weekend): 16/31

Stretch 4x/week: 1/15