Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legendary January — Step Challenge and Resolutions

Welcome to 2020. It is a new year, a new decade, and time to do something new, something legendary; or ... maybe just get another monthly challenge underway 😉 So try out something new ,,, a diet or exercise change, less drinking or smoking, going to bed earlier, learn a new skill … But in this case, commit for just a month and see how it goes.  You can do anything for a month, and if it still makes sense on January 31, try to make it ordinary come February. Or adapt it a bit.                         

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The idea of a monthly picture scavenger hunt started a couple of years ago as a way to get people into the great outside to show off where they live. We’ve done oldest buildings, funny street or business signs, sewer covers, holiday decorations, theatre marquees,  animals ….

The theme this month?  It is an old favorite for me; street art or hidden pictures.  Street art is any graffiti you come across and any art designed into or built into architecture.  Hidden pictures are designs in nature that might be there on purpose (someone carved something into or hung something on a tree) or might be something you see in a natural formation (a shoulder or face in a mountain).

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
211 REPLIES 211

@WendyB wrote: 

Love your painting  @Jotex  Let us see when done. I have a Llama I want to do but for some reason I cant get in to it

Going to go see the New Star Wars tomorrow will need to find a way to get some steps in for at least one of the hours

Thanks! I know what you mean about “can’t get in to it.” It’ll come, and you can paint. Please share!

I loved the latest Star Wars film (& all the others)! Good luck with getting your steps in.

@Heather-S hope you’re feeling back to normal... or soon!

Best Answer

Legendary January 7:

15k Steps/Day: 06/31

600 Calorie Deficiency/Day: 06/31

15 Squats/Day: 07/31

IF 4x/Week: /4

Yoga 1x/Week: —/4

Weights 2x/Week: 02/8

@Heather-S  Hope you get to mending soon!  The flu is no joke.

Best Answer

I am starting this challenge a little late so it will be based on 26 days in January (starting 1-6-2020).  My biggest goal is to stick with it.  Last year I lost and gained weight and would be motivated to exercise for a month and then quit.  I know how to do it.  I just need to make myself do it!!  Thanks for the support.

10 K steps/day 26 days

/26

12 K step/day 5 days

/5

15 K steps/day 1 day

/1

6 exercise classes

/6

8 weight lifting sessions

/8

Lose 4 pounds (starting weight 211)

/4

Track all food intake 26 days

/26

Best Answer

Legendary January - Day 8

10,000+ steps: 7/20 days

15,000+ steps: 1/5 days

20,000+ steps: 0/3 days
Exercises & weights: 8/20 days

2-minute planks: 5/20 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 8/20 days

Eat 1 piece of fruit: 8/15 days
Blue (no alcohol): 4/15 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 1/3 pics

Here’s the final version of “Full moon on a starry night” @WendyB .

D2EE9753-470E-49F3-A9C0-827551D42C83.jpeg

Best Answer

@Jotex  I love it! Great job! 😀😁

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@Jotex — Great version of The Starry Night.  Van Gogh wishes he was so good 😉

Have you seen the movie “Loving Vincent?”  It is a Polish-UK film about his life and death.  Each of the 65000 frames is an oil painting on canvas done in the style of his paintings! Over 100 painters!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Aw, thank y’all SO much @WendyB and @Baltoscott . Mission accomplished. No, I haven’t seen that film yet, but it sounds great. Will try to find it. Thanks for the tip. 

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 8

Steps: Goal 10000: 8/31

Boxing: 8/31

Bike 2 times : 8/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 3/31

DVD Has Weights, Balance, Cardio: 8/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups: 8/31

Leg Exercises: 8/31

250 Steps per hour : 8/31

Log food daily : 8/31

Scavenger Hunt Photos : 1/3

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 0/0

Thanks @Baltoscott  Found Loving Vincent on Netflicks and moved it to the top looks interesting

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Loving Vincent isn’t offered on our Netflix (Switzerland) so I bought it in iTunes. Thanks again @Baltoscott.

Best Answer

Really struggling with my goal to reduce use of single-use plastics this month. I’ve only managed it twice so far. It’s ultra-challenging being on holiday. Hopefully I can be back on track again on Monday, after we get back home on Sunday evening.

Best Answer

Love your painting @Jotex . It does remind me of outrstreet art. Albany has a real emphasis on street art which I love.

9 January 

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   9/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      7/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                             3/10          

3 days over 20,000 steps                                               1/3

6 lunges a day for 20 days                                             9/20    NEW!

Swim 2x per week                                                           2/8                                                 

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 2/8              

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     3/3

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Legendary January 8:

15k Steps/Day: 07/31

600 Calorie Deficiency/Day: 07/31

15 Squats/Day: 08/31

@CatLover74  I've got to be sure I get back in the habit of remembering my reusable bags.  The grocery store I use is going plastic bag-less starting the 27th, and the state is banning "single use plastic bags" sometime in March.  I always reuse the bags for other things, so now I'll have to figure something else out for those times. 

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 9

Steps: Goal 10000: 9/31

Boxing: 9/31

Bike 2 times : 9/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 4/31

DVD Has Weights, Balance, Cardio: 9/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups :9/31

Leg Exercises: 9/31

250 Steps per hour : 9/31

Log food daily : 9/31

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 0/1

Movie was good needs more Ewoks there where only 2 and for a brief moment 😁 got my steps in by going out to get water

Community Council Member

Best Answer

10 January 

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   10/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      8/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                             4/10          

6 lunges a day for 20 days                                             10/20    NEW!

Swim 2x per week                                                           3/8                                                 

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 2/8              

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Legendary January 9:

15k Steps/Day: 08/31

600 Calorie Deficiency/Day: 08/31

15 Squats/Day: 09/31

Best Answer

I love the challenge. Been out on injury but building up steam and consistency is key!  I'm a bit late jumping in but my consistency plan for Jan would be:

Walk a min of 5k steps a day

Workout 15-30 min 4-5 x a week

Do 2 Openfit or Beachbody classes a week

Make vegetables the star of the show at dinner 4-5 days a week

Eat beans, legumes 4-5 days a week

Eat fruit 2 x daily 4-5 days a week

Take 3 Scavenger Hunt pics

Create a log and track these goals daily

Best Answer

Legendary January - Day 10

10,000+ steps: 8/20 days

15,000+ steps: 1/5 days

20,000+ steps: 0/3 days
Exercises & weights: 9/20 days

2-minute planks: 5/20 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 9/20 days

Eat 1 piece of fruit: 9/15 days
Blue (no alcohol): 4/15 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 1/3 pics

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 10

Steps: Goal 10000: 10/31

Boxing: 10/31

Bike 2 times : 10/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 5/31

DVD Has Weights, Balance, Cardio: 10/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups :10/31

Leg Exercises: 10/31

250 Steps per hour : 10/31

Log food daily : 10/31

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 0/1

Welcome @gracegirl050 

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 10

15K steps/day  9/31

10 pushup + shoulder extension /day

10/31

15 weight-lifting days

4/15

post 3 scavenger pics

1/3

Sleep 6+ hours 17 days or more during the month

2/17

3 pull-up + 1min bar-hang /day

10/31

Dry (mostly) January - 25 days or more

10/25

Lose 2 lbs (Started 11/1 at 163.7 lbs; 12/29 at 162.8 lbs.)

1/5

Welcome @Stepitup523 @gracegirl050 and a shoutout to all the newbies on the thread.  If you find you are having a hard time with some of your goals feel free to readjust.  I've got a few goals (the pullups and pushups) that aren't much of a challenge for me, but exist just so I can keep my daily exercise streak alive (the pushup goal used to be just 1).  I know I can always do them, even when I'm sick, so each day I can check the box and that helps me maintain my self-image as a person who exercises and moves.  

Speaking of sick, @Heather-S I hope you've recovered from the flu.  I had it last year with a fever for two or three weeks. I had no appetite and dropped about 10 lbs in 20 days.  Definitely not the right approach to weight loss!  

My dry January has been going well, but tomorrow I'll have a few beers in the evening when my brother-in-law and his wife come over to watch the playoff game with us.  Go Ravens!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

11 January 

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   11/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      9/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                             5/10          

6 lunges a day for 20 days                                             11/20    NEW!

Swim 2x per week                                                           3/8                                                 

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 3/8              

Community Council Member

Best Answer