Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legendary January — Step Challenge and Resolutions

Welcome to 2020. It is a new year, a new decade, and time to do something new, something legendary; or ... maybe just get another monthly challenge underway 😉 So try out something new ,,, a diet or exercise change, less drinking or smoking, going to bed earlier, learn a new skill … But in this case, commit for just a month and see how it goes.  You can do anything for a month, and if it still makes sense on January 31, try to make it ordinary come February. Or adapt it a bit.                         

How It Works

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges is to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format    
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Picture Scavenger Hunt — 3 pictures

The idea of a monthly picture scavenger hunt started a couple of years ago as a way to get people into the great outside to show off where they live. We’ve done oldest buildings, funny street or business signs, sewer covers, holiday decorations, theatre marquees,  animals ….

The theme this month?  It is an old favorite for me; street art or hidden pictures.  Street art is any graffiti you come across and any art designed into or built into architecture.  Hidden pictures are designs in nature that might be there on purpose (someone carved something into or hung something on a tree) or might be something you see in a natural formation (a shoulder or face in a mountain).

Posting

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
211 REPLIES 211

I’m glad you are feeling better @Heather-S.  It took me a long time to completely get over the flu last year, but once I got past the fever I was pretty functional.  I always get the flu shot (it is free where I work and available on site); alas, it doesn’t always work.  

My winter mantra ... Must wash hands.  Must wash hands.  Must wash hands ...

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

January 13 Progress for January challenge.

Steps 10,000 (goal 26/26) 7/26

Steps 12,000 (goal 5/26) 5/26

Steps 15, 000 (goal 1/26) 0/26

6 exercise classes 2

8 weight sessions 3

track intake 26 days 7/26

Lose 6 pounds Lost 2.4 

Best Answer

@Baltoscott Everyone in my office has been terribly sick -- either with the flu or bronchitis (which I also had over Christmas).  My office also does quite a lot of potlucks and I think I might've gotten sick from someone's food they brought in (they had a child sick with the flu at home), so going forward, I don't think I'll eat homemade food in the office -- at least not during flu season!

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Legendary January - Day 13

10,000+ steps: 9/20 days

15,000+ steps: 2/5 days

20,000+ steps: 0/3 days
Exercises & weights: 11/20 days

2-minute planks: 7/20 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 11/20 days

Eat 1 piece of fruit: 10/15 days
Blue (no alcohol): 5/15 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 1/3 pics

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 13

Steps: Goal 10000: 13/31

Boxing: 13/31

Bike 2 times : 13/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 6/31

DVD Has Weights, Balance, Cardio: 13/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups ::13/31

Leg Exercises: 13/31

250 Steps per hour : 13/31

Log food daily : 13/31

Scavenger Hunt Photos : 1/3

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 1/1

@BaltoscottThat cat picture is awesome!

@Heather-SGlad your feeling better. When I worked I always got sick cause people were always sick. Since I have retired its rare. Did get a cold this year thats hanging on but not like I use to.

I get flu shot every year as well and No sometimes it doesn't work

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Ditto what @WendyB  wrote about the cat picture, @Baltoscott! Also, I really enjoyed Loving Vincent. A very special film about a remarkable person, and amazing artist. 

Best Answer

@Jotex  cant wait to get mine from Netflicks then. Waiting for a disc to go back before it will come. Going out today so I probably wont see it until Thursday or Friday

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WendyB — it’s definitely worth the wait. I know you’ll love ❤️ it, too! 

Best Answer

Love it !!!

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 13

15K steps/day  12/31

10 pushup + shoulder extension /day

13/31

15 weight-lifting days

6/15

post 3 scavenger pics

3/3

Sleep 6+ hours 17 days or more during the month

8/17

3 pull-up + 1min bar-hang /day

13/31

Dry (mostly) January - 25 days or more

12/25

Lose 2 lbs (Started 11/1 at 163.7 lbs; 12/29 at 162.8 lbs.)

1/12

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

14 January

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   13/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      9/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                             5/10          

3 days over 20,000 steps                                               1/3

6 lunges a day for 20 days                                             12/20    NEW!

Swim 2x per week                                                           4/8                                                 

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 3/8              

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     3/3

Some more art

20200114_125553_resized.jpg

20200114_173451_resized.jpg

20200107_181839_resized.jpg

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

And getting away from street art, here are some baskets I made this week at a Natural Fibres basketry course I am doing. Really enjoying it!

20200114_173603_resized.jpg

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Legendary January 13:

15k Steps/Day: 11/31

600 Calorie Deficiency/Day: 09/31

15 Squats/Day: 13/31

IF 4x/Week: /4

Yoga 1x/Week: —/4

Weights 2x/Week: 02/8

@NellyG  Those baskets are amazing!  I wish I was talented in crafts. I can't even draw stick figures with a rule.  

Best Answer

Legendary January - Day 14

10,000+ steps: 9/20 days

15,000+ steps: 2/5 days

20,000+ steps: 0/3 days
Exercises & weights: 11/20 days

2-minute planks: 7/20 days

40 Jumping Jacks: 11/20 days

Eat 1 piece of fruit: 11/15 days
Blue (no alcohol): 5/15 days

Scavenger Hunt Pics: 1/3 pics

Best Answer

Legendary January Day 14

Steps: Goal 10000: 14/31

Boxing: 14/31

Bike 2 times : 14/31

Weights DVD 18 Days: 6/31

DVD Has Weights, Balance, Cardio: 14/31

Wall Push Up/Counter push ups ::14/31

Leg Exercises: 14/31

250 Steps per hour : 14/31

Log food daily : 14/31

Scavenger Hunt Photos : 4/3

Lose 3-5 Pounds: 1/1

@NellyG  Those basket look great!

Street art from the town next over. Best place is downtown but you cant find a parking spot unless you go at 0 Dark thirty in the morning 😁

rosevillewall.jpgrosevillewall1.jpgrosevillewall2.jpg

Community Council Member

Best Answer

15 January 

10,000 steps a day for 20 days                                   14/20

12 days over 12,000                                                      9/12

10 days over 15,000 steps                                             5/10          

3 days over 20,000 steps                                               1/3

6 lunges a day for 20 days                                             13/20    NEW!

Swim 2x per week                                                           4/8                                                 

8 bike rides or strenuous walks per month                 3/8              

3 Scavenger Hunt pics                                                     3/3

Community Council Member

Best Answer
Legendary January 14: 15k Steps/Day: 12/31 600 Calorie Deficiency/Day: 10/31 15 Squats/Day: 14/31 IF 4x/Week:— /4 Yoga 1x/Week: —/4 Weights 2x/Week: 02/8
Best Answer

Nice art @WendyB 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I also really like the street art, @WendyB  and love the baskets you made @NellyG!!! 😍

Best Answer

Legendary January - Day 14 Results

13,000 Steps: 7/31

15,000 Steps: 4/5

20,000 Steps: 2/3

Go to the gym: 0/9

Lose 2lbs: 5/2

Have not made it to the gym yet this month.  My cough is still nasty and I'd rather not go to the gym and cough all over everything -- it sounds pretty bad and I'm sure no one would appreciate it!  I did manage a 15K and a 20K day this week.  I'm aiming for another 15K today.  🙂

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Best Answer