Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tips to heal blisters fast, or at least deal with them

ANSWERED

I have only had my fitbit for a month and a half and I am constantly pushing myself to go farther and farther. every other saturday I push myself to my max to see where I am at. The first time I did it it was like 30k, then 51K and most recently i went 70K in a single day, which has also resulted in me upping my daily goals each week , awesome right? the problem is on these push days I tend to get a blister or 2 ( the time I did 51k I did not have good shoes and i had many blisters) and I still walk every day. so they don't seem to quite heal before the next big push. I was looking for any tips on how to deal with or heal blisters. As for now I just keep moving and deal with the discomfort.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Well you need good shoes and Socks as well. 

Go to a good running store and get fitted for both.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

What I do for blisters is put a bandaid where ever the blister is. (For me usually on the back of the heel). This has worked for me in the past. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Blisters occur when there is rubbing between 2 surfaces.  Get fitted with good shoes that fit, try wearing 2 pairs of socks, a thin pair next to your skin, then your regular socks.  You can drain the blister, but remember, below the blister is sterile, so don't introduce any bacteria.  Once your get new shoes break them in first before going for your long walks.

Best Answer

Time heals the best. Try not to let the skin pop, as any opening of the blister can be an entrance to bacteria. Then you could be fighting an infection on top the blister. 

The best long term thing you can do is prevent the blisters from forming. As others have said, proper fitting shoes and good socks are key.

If you can't aford both right now, at least get some good socks. Soft socks that don't rub your feet raw when walking in them will help a bunch. You can add a little runner's glide, or a stick deoderant like speed stick can help too. The idea of the sock and glide is to minimize friction against the skin if there is any rubbing between your foot and your shoe.

A good shoe will fit snug, but not too tight. The right fit keeps the shoe in place against your foot so there is little to no rubbing. If you have a runner's store near you, the salesfolks there can check your gait and how your foot hits the ground. They will size the shoe then have you try out several different options. By trying out different shoes you can find one that fits the best. Take your time on this process, even different model shoes from the same manufacturer can have very different 'feel'. You want one that doesn't rub or poke your foot, it should feel very natural. Even though a small amount of rubbing may not feel like much, when you multiply it by 70k steps, it can start to hurt. 

Good luck!

Best Answer

My advice for finding the best shoe for you is to go to a store that only sells running shoes ( not like Dick's or the foot locker, they are only interested in selling you a shoe, any shoe ).  Most stores that sell only running shoes are staffed by runners.  Take in your old shoes so they can see the wear pattern. It's the best way to determine what type of runner you are, so they can suggest the best shoe for you.  They will generally let you take them outside and run around the store so you know how they feel.  Buy your shoes in the late afternoon, because your feet swell during the day.  Wear 2 pairs of socks, one thin pair and your regular sock.  If you use an orthotic, take it with you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

Well you need good shoes and Socks as well. 

Go to a good running store and get fitted for both.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

What I do for blisters is put a bandaid where ever the blister is. (For me usually on the back of the heel). This has worked for me in the past. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Blisters occur when there is rubbing between 2 surfaces.  Get fitted with good shoes that fit, try wearing 2 pairs of socks, a thin pair next to your skin, then your regular socks.  You can drain the blister, but remember, below the blister is sterile, so don't introduce any bacteria.  Once your get new shoes break them in first before going for your long walks.

Best Answer

Time heals the best. Try not to let the skin pop, as any opening of the blister can be an entrance to bacteria. Then you could be fighting an infection on top the blister. 

The best long term thing you can do is prevent the blisters from forming. As others have said, proper fitting shoes and good socks are key.

If you can't aford both right now, at least get some good socks. Soft socks that don't rub your feet raw when walking in them will help a bunch. You can add a little runner's glide, or a stick deoderant like speed stick can help too. The idea of the sock and glide is to minimize friction against the skin if there is any rubbing between your foot and your shoe.

A good shoe will fit snug, but not too tight. The right fit keeps the shoe in place against your foot so there is little to no rubbing. If you have a runner's store near you, the salesfolks there can check your gait and how your foot hits the ground. They will size the shoe then have you try out several different options. By trying out different shoes you can find one that fits the best. Take your time on this process, even different model shoes from the same manufacturer can have very different 'feel'. You want one that doesn't rub or poke your foot, it should feel very natural. Even though a small amount of rubbing may not feel like much, when you multiply it by 70k steps, it can start to hurt. 

Good luck!

Best Answer

Good advice everyone. I always wear good fitting shoes (not too tight) and double layered socks when exercising. I've never had a blister when wearing double layered socks.

Buy some 'moleskin' at the drugstore to protect blisters. You can cut it to protect the size and shape of any blister.  

Best Answer

My advice for finding the best shoe for you is to go to a store that only sells running shoes ( not like Dick's or the foot locker, they are only interested in selling you a shoe, any shoe ).  Most stores that sell only running shoes are staffed by runners.  Take in your old shoes so they can see the wear pattern. It's the best way to determine what type of runner you are, so they can suggest the best shoe for you.  They will generally let you take them outside and run around the store so you know how they feel.  Buy your shoes in the late afternoon, because your feet swell during the day.  Wear 2 pairs of socks, one thin pair and your regular sock.  If you use an orthotic, take it with you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

blisters will heal with bandaids and Vaseline or neosporin. Besides shoes and socks, I wrap toes that tend to blister (although its not really a blister, its just icky painful things) with tape, like dancers do. Since I started doing that, I don't get them as often.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great work @IAmBornOfStars!! Good to hear that you are pushing yourself harder each day. What i have done in the past when i was training for a half marathon or playing soccer etc, is ice myself almost every night. I would take warm shower and there after(after 10mins or so), i would fill the tub with cold water and sprinkle some ice in there. Then lay in it for about 10-20 mins... But if your trouble areas are feet only, i would just ice the feet and not the entire body.

As for blister; my doctor once told me to take a pill called Lysine. It's the same i use when i get kanker soars i get from eating strawberries or mangos especially. This pill clears any soars fast. I once bit my tongue really bad playing soccer; later that night, i took the pill. In the morning it was all healed...no kidding!! Here is the link:
http://www.target.com/p/nature-made-l-lysine-1000-mg-tablets-60-count/-/A-14520696?ci_src=17588969&c...

Good luck

Nick | Washington

Surge, Blaze, Flex 2, Alta HR: - iPhone 7, Windows 8/10, Macbook Pro

Please mark posts as solved if you got the answers you needed, or visit the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks to everyone for the great advice, i will be trying many of them

Best Answer
0 Votes
response to:

WendyB

Ultramarathon Racer

Spot on, thanks for the advice. i actually did this (got great fitting and quality shoes)early on and it helped tremendously. i only seem to get a blister or 2 now around the 30 mile mark or 60,000 steps is where I start to feel my feet break down. So its getting better. thanks again

Best Answer

Response to: 

Sean_s

Recovery Runner

i've tried this and it definitely helps, I think my biggest issue is the couple blisters are repeat offenders and always seem to happen in the same spots. i really should take a day or 2 off and just rest but I don't want to stop moving, so was hoping there was something that help them heal on the go. thanks for the advice it using the band aid does help

Best Answer
0 Votes
Response to:
Corney
Strider  

i will try this after my current blisters heal, right now it is too tight for 2 socks where the blister is and i do not want to pop it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Response to:
brerbill
Stepping Up

I have heard about moleskin from lots of friends and family lately and I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for the input

Best Answer
0 Votes
Response to:
Kosnick
Hill Runner

Thanks for the information, i will definitely look into lysine and talk to my Doctor about it. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I just wanted to let you know that stores that sell hiking boots have a double sock so you won't get blisters in the first place or you can put 2 pairs of socks on-

Take care

Gail

Best Answer

Off and on again over the years (like long since there was even a think called a Fitbit) I've suffered from blistered feet.  The best inner sock I've ever used are kind of hokey looking but they work great at blister reduction.  Said socks are called Injinji (a quick internet search will bring you to their web site), I tried them the first time during last year's Reach the Beach relay here in New Hampshire, and I love them so much I've since bought maybe eight pairs.

I've used them in both solo sock and double sock mode and they work great either way.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Blisters are caused by heat build up caused by the friction of one surface rubbing against another surface. I've run for over 25 years and never had blister problems when I use a thin inner sock and a regular outer sock.  Instead of you skin rubbing against one sock or your shoe, the rubbing occurs between the thin inner sock and the outer sock.  As for healing a blister fast, if you stop the rubbing friction, the blister will heal with time. As with most injuries, the goal is to find the cause, and change the environment or activity that is the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Funny thing, I started running competitively back in 1970 and never had a blister until 2014.  It seemed once they started, they didn't want to stop.

Best Answer

You should try and anylize anything that has changed, running shoes, running paths, running bio-mechanics.  Your body has changed alot in those 44 years, my guess your bio-mechanics have changed given you history.  Like you I started out running and never had a problem until I got older, One thing I have always told my clients, listen to your body.  I finally listened to my body and decided I would rather switch to other forms of aerobic exercise, ellipital, rower, stationary bike, that were easier on my body than face the alternative.  It was tough that first year, but now my aerobic capacity is excellent, but I'm pain free.  Listening to your body will never steer you wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes