Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for tips to heal blisters fast, or at least deal with them

ANSWERED

I have only had my fitbit for a month and a half and I am constantly pushing myself to go farther and farther. every other saturday I push myself to my max to see where I am at. The first time I did it it was like 30k, then 51K and most recently i went 70K in a single day, which has also resulted in me upping my daily goals each week , awesome right? the problem is on these push days I tend to get a blister or 2 ( the time I did 51k I did not have good shoes and i had many blisters) and I still walk every day. so they don't seem to quite heal before the next big push. I was looking for any tips on how to deal with or heal blisters. As for now I just keep moving and deal with the discomfort.

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

Agreed.

The single largest change I've noticed is my feet have grown both in width and length during my 50s; at age 50 I was a pretty consistent 8-8.5 D for my running shoes, now at 59 I'm up to 9.5 EE or even EEEE.

My blisters started during the 2014 Reach the Beach relay when, due to a last minute loss of a team member I had to run both Leg 1 (8.1 miles) and Leg 6 (8.6 miles) during the first rotation; the blisters started between my third and fourth toes on both feet (my toe shape has changed such that the middle toe sort of overlaps part of the pad of the fourth toe).  I bought a pair of toe socks later that day and used them for the rest of the relay.

A few weeks later (with no recurrence of blisters) I ran my first half marathon in a relatively new pair of shoes (only about 50 miles on them).  Unfortunately it was already in the seventies and humid at the start and well into the eighties at the finish; at the 10-mile mark I noticed my feet were literally swimming in my shoes (which were 9.5 EEEE, and probably a bit too wide, and I was dumb enough to leave my toe socks at home) from all of the sweat cascading down my legs and into my shoes.  By the time I crossed the finish line, only two minutes slower than my goal time, the blisters I got during the RTB relay had come back with a vengeance, along with new ones at the base of the big toes and the front of each ball.

Since I started wearing toe socks I have yet to have another blister.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you are getting blisters on the bottoms of your feet, your shoes are too big and your feet are sliding forward with each step.  Never run a long race with a new pair of shoes, a friend of mine ran a marathon with a new pair of shoes and came back with the entire soles of both feet blistered.  When ever I buy anew pair of shoes I alternate runs with my old shoes until the new shoes are broken in.  Live and learn!

Best Answer
0 Votes