Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low resting heart rate

Hello ladies and gents.

I’ve had a Fitbit Versa for a while now and I’ve noticed that my heart rate has been low for most of my life. I’m 28 years old at the moment and my heart rate is almost always in the 50’s resting/sat down.

When sleeping my heart rate can float around and even below the 45 mark. Sat at my desk today in work my heart rate was low 50’s just sat there.

I have always been an active person but not recently with not having the time with children. Does anyone else have low readings, I don’t have any dizzy spells, pain or other symptoms but it just worries me it’s that low.

My dads a paramedic and he says it’s normal for a person of my age with good health. Still you always have your doubts and I’m an anxious person anyway!

Thanks everyone,

Andy

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

@Gilly9 If you are anxious bout your health, you should probably go see a doctor to confirm that nothing is wrong. I also have a low RHR and I am almost twice your age. Physical fitness for sure helps. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi @Gilly9 I also have a low rhr, and have done all my life. I am perfectly healthy too, and over twice your age. My resting hr is usually around 48 or 49, sometimes higher and sometimes lower. So I don't think you need to worry. It is a matter of genetics usually. But as @emili says, if you are concerned then see your doctor.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@Gilly9 your dad is probably right. If you have doubts I second what others said - see a doctor 🙂 As @NellyG said, it is a matter of genetics as much as a fitness level. My resting HR is (now hold to something...) 39bpm, probably less when I sleep but never checked that. Like you, my whole life my HR used to be low at rest. Even when I was unfit my resting HR was around 50bpm. This is genetics. Some people are not compatible with medical books 🙂 As long as you don't experience dizziness, you are able to elevate your HR with exercise (it's not getting stuck somewhere low) then it only means, your heart needs to do less work to keep you going.

Best Answer