Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pace

ANSWERED

Any ideas why my pace seems to be all over the place on different days even though i feel like im trying to go around the same? Im talking one day itll be in the 20's another in the 100's.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@JAMIE9999   It will vary.. Pace is calculated by Steps x Stride length to give distance over time, hence Pace.

It will depend on the speed your inbuilt acceleromter detects and it will use the stride length x whether the stepping on the spot is detected as walking or running..  That's when you get the variation.

You will have to give the team a more accurate figure for your Pace..

@JAMIE9999 wrote:

Those numbers im talking about are for my walking on the spot i do.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Pace normally relates to activities in which you cover a certain distance in a certain time, for instance walking, running etc.

Assuming you’re using miles as your unit for distances, a pace of 20 means it takes you 20 minutes to cover one mile. In other words, your average speed was 3 mph. A pace of 100 would imply it’s 5 times slower than that, i.e. your average speed was 0.6 mph. Were these for the same activities?!

Can you post the details for a couple of activities, like this one:

2019-02-19_1541.png

That activity was an 8 km walk that took me 1h 21m: 8 km in 81 minutes resulted in a pace of 10 (minutes per km).

Check your own activities and see in which the numbers make sense and in which they don’t. Since distances are involved, GPS makes a big difference, for outdoors activities (I have an Ionic, which means my distances are pretty accurate).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JAMIE9999 Can you explain more about what you are asking if @Dominique didn't answer your question. 

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

Best Answer
0 Votes

Pace doesn’t really apply to walking in place, since there’s no real distance being covered. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JAMIE9999   It will vary.. Pace is calculated by Steps x Stride length to give distance over time, hence Pace.

It will depend on the speed your inbuilt acceleromter detects and it will use the stride length x whether the stepping on the spot is detected as walking or running..  That's when you get the variation.

You will have to give the team a more accurate figure for your Pace..

@JAMIE9999 wrote:

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@JAMIE9999 pace when walking in place is meaningless. To have pace you must be covering some distance in relation to an origin. Moreover, pace only makes sense if the distance is perfectly known. It means that either you use GPS or for example treadmill. For treadmill  only the machine will really know your pace. The tracker just estimates it based on the stride length and steps count but when there is no distance the pace has no real use.

Accelerometer detects acceleration ( direction and value ) not speed. The difference is that if maintaining a perfectly constant pace ( and running with constant velocity ) the accelerometer won't detect any acceration. However, tracker is worn on a wrist so there is always acceleration and deceleration that is used to figure out whether we stepping. The running differs from walking by longer periods of forward acceleration ( we tend to wave hands little longer ) and with more "aggressive" vertical acceleration ( bouncing up/down as when running there is that short moment when no foot touches ground, the vertical acceleration would be like for the freefall if not taking legs motion into account ).

Bottom line is that for moving in place or when you don't know the distance you covered just ignore the pace as it isn't relevant.

Best Answer
0 Votes