Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak heart rate very high?

Hi, I'm 64 and male and have a question about peak heart rates and risks.  I have T1 diabetes & mild asthma but feel reasonably fit but definitely not fit enough.  I exercise mostly by going walking 4/5 times a week, 5 miles on average, various terrains.  My Charge4 tells me I get quite a bit of Fat Burn but not much Cardio and rarely Peak.   Hence in the last few weeks I have been doing various 15 minute/1 mile "Walking Workouts With Jordan" on the Bob and Brad YouTube channel, once a day, to get my heart rate up.  I record it as Treadmill exercise on my Charge4.  I can feel it working tho and am enjoying them tho I am quite knackered by the end of it.

The last 2 times I've done them my Charge4 has registered peak heart rates of 193 and 161.  Normally it gets to around 140+/-.  My max estimated rate is 156.  I guess I've been going for it a bit more and tend to take it easier towards the end.  I don't feel ill or light headed particularly.   My question is: are these rates dangerous?  I was horrified when I saw the 193.  Any advice please, maybe a doctor or physio?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@BitFitDave, The first thing to keep in mind is the 220-Age formula used by Fitbit and other fitness trackers has been widely discredited for many years and is basically garbage.  Like you I'm 64 and male; I've been wearing a Fitbit for tracker for five years this month and am quickly approaching the 35-million step threshold (in about 2 weeks), and while I do rely on it for giving me relatively accurate HR readings most of the time (basically any time except the first mile of a run where it shows HUGE spikes in HR, upwards of 200), the so-called "zones" are utterly and completely irrelevant.

Regarding what you may or may not want to do; I would never advise against visiting a doctor/cardiologist, that said, if you feel well, you're most likely good to go.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @shipo after I'd got over the surprise, I did think it might be garbage because I just felt "normally" knackered.  I've got one of those finger oximeter things so maybe I'll try that for comparison.  It seems to happen just over halfway thru when I am working hardest but also the arms are moving most so maybe the Fitbit struggles to be accurate 🤷.  Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@BitFitDave, sorry, I think I didn't explain myself properly, the Fitbit heart rate monitor seems to be pretty accurate, it is the 220-Age formula, and the associated "zones", which are junk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ah right ok 👍 

Best Answer

Hi guys! Welcome to our Fitbit Community, @BitFitDave. As a side note, I'd like to share this help article, which explains how your your heart rate data is tracked.

Thank you for your help @shipo.

See you guys around.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

@BitFitDave 

You will know it when you reach the peak zone. Your breathing will be heavy, unable to speak whole sentences. To improve your cardiovascular ability, you should be in the peak zone for a few minutes two or three times a week. You say you rarely get any readings of being in the peak zone, and at the same time, you get to 140 during your workouts? If I understand that correctly, I would say your max heart rate is higher than (220 - age) indicates. I wanted to know my maxHR and took a test in a lab where they pushed me until I could not take it anymore, and then a little bit further. At least it felt that way. I recommend a lab test, you will get an accurate reading, and they tell you that your heart is capable of more than many give it credit.

Fitbit user since September 2019
Sense2 Sense, Charge3, Android, Windows
Best Answer
0 Votes

@LokeAa Thank you so much for sharing your feedback. This information is very helpful.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer