Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak heart rate zone

For how long can your heart beat at peak rate before damage is done?

Best Answer
40 REPLIES 40

@SonnyCorleone wrote:

For how long can your heart beat at peak rate before damage is done?

Don't worry, the lack of oxygen for the muscles and the build up of lactic acid will freeze up your working muscles long before the heart has an issue - it's getting the oxygen it needs - your muscles are given less to make sure that happens.

That is of course if you have no medical issues.

Actually, you could likely pick a HR below peak rate and after a minute or two reach the same state of muscle failure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

I would newer go over 150 bpm, but that’s me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

And what is your peak rate I-train-hard?

Best Answer

I was really curious about your question so I started reading various research and doctor commentary. As expected, I am not closer to finding the answer. for every study that said damage isn't done because you can never reach your peak, a study said that over a lifetime of cardio activity, there is damage to the heart due to intensity. so I guess the answer would be, what is your peak and how long can you sustain it before exhaustion sets in and the world tilts.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Unless there is something FORCING your heart to beat out of control its never going to be an issue, running wont do that, a massive caffeine (or other drugs) overdose might

As a rule, 

Your heart gets damaged when it beats out of sequence rather than when it beats quickly.

The second can cause the first, but its unlikely.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer

@I-train-hard wrote:

I would newer go over 150 bpm, but that’s me.

Unnecessary to post such a thing if you dont also add how old you are, target HR and Maximum HR are different per age. Mine at 21 years old is a maximum of 200BPM while the targt HR is roughy at around 170~. Theres no problem in excercising at up to 85% of your HR.

Best Answer

I am 43 – 205lbs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Then 150bpm is 85% of your max heart rate.

Best Answer

Yes, that’s correct.

For me isn’t always easy the go above the 150 bpm.

I have been exercising for a while and my resting hart rate is about 41-45 bpm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maximum heart rate is only theoretical, and is 220 minus your age.  Training heart rate for the average athlete is 200 minus you age multiplied by 75-85%, but if you are a highly trained athlete you can go beyond that rate.  If you are out of you aerobic training zone latic acid build up will cause you to slow down or stop before your heart is damaged. If when you are exercising, you can carry on a comfortable conversation you are still in your aerobic zone, if you are out of you aerobic zone you will not be able to carry on very long due to lactic acid build up in your muscles.

Best Answer

That's an obsolete calculation.

It's more like HRmax = 208 − {0.7 × age} which amounts to similar, but is more accurate. Peak rate would be 85% of that amount, and the difference there is substantial.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sonny, I don't think 220 minus your age is obsolete, that is according to the Mayo Clinic in 2014, or the CDC in 2015.  You used the Runners World calculations, hardly a scientific journal.  Running for Fitness gave 4 Formulas for calculating maximim heart rate:

226 minus age

209 minus 0.9 x age

206.3 minus (0.711) x age

217 minus (0.85) x age

As I stated 220-age is just a theoretical calculation, hardly worth arguing over and certaintly unworthy of calling The Mayo Clinic's and the CDC calculations obsolete!  I agree 85% of the the theoretical max heart rate would be the peak rate, except in the most highly trained athlete.

Best Answer

Talk to a cardiologist.

Best Answer
I've always questioned those equations. When younger (30s) and mountain biking hard I saw my HR hit 220. Now, in my early 50s, when rowing I can easily hit and maintain 180, with peak possibly 187 during some hard stints.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess when you are well trained you heart rate can excede the theoretical maximum.  If you not out of breath then you may still be in your aerobic training zone.  When I'm on me ellipital, stationary bike or rower, my heart rate always goes over my theoretical max, but not as high as yours, but I'm also 69 years old.  If you are not feeling any ill effects during or after, I guess it's alright.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The 208 - (0.7 x age) is a pretty close calculator. My max during hard runs/races is usually high 180s and I'm 30 years old. This calculator says it is 187. Pretty close. Working out at 85% of your max feels pretty normal if you are fit. I do races at 95% of my max. I know that type of effort is probably not healthy, but it really all depends on what your goals are.

One thing I have noticed is your max heart rate is not relevant if you're out of shape, because you don't really have the endurance to hold paces at high heart rate. It's something you have to build up to. As you become more fit, you can handle higher heart rates.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@cicirunner wrote:

The 208 - (0.7 x age) is a pretty close calculator. My max during hard runs/races is usually high 180s and I'm 30 years old. This calculator says it is 187. Pretty close. Working out at 85% of your max feels pretty normal if you are fit. I do races at 95% of my max. I know that type of effort is probably not healthy, but it really all depends on what your goals are.

One thing I have noticed is your max heart rate is not relevant if you're out of shape, because you don't really have the endurance to hold paces at high heart rate. It's something you have to build up to. As you become more fit, you can handle higher heart rates.

As with the 220-Age formula, the 208-(Age*.7) formula is highly flawed; it will be correct for some folks and very inaccurate for others.  In my case I can easily sustain a heart rate in the mid 170s, and occasionally it peak in the low 180s.  So?  The thing is the two forumlas predict my max heart rate should be between 160 and 166; yeah, not so much.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I asked my Doctor about this since mine was getting really high when I was on the Treadmill.  (Or so it seemed to me.)  She said that unless the Average Heart Rate was 150, she wouldn't worry about it.

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

Hmm just did 1.5 hours at 186 average heart rate. Woke up a bit sore the next day.

Best Answer
0 Votes