Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pool walking

I do 50 laps walking in our pool.  I do different types of steps and work my arms while walking.  I'm not sure what to log it as.  I also wear resistance gloves and water weights on my ankles.  Any ideas?

Best Answer
18 REPLIES 18

You could use this as a Gauge and then Manually add the steps. Use the Walking Icon at the bottom of the page to manually add it. Link from @Colinm39

http://www.purdue.edu/walktothemoon/activities.html

Just be aware you do not receive badges for any Manually added step's

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Was just trying to figure out this and doing the circuit training at the gym. I am horrible at counting my pool laps, I get distracted and lose count, any suggestions on an easy way to count? I generally just track the time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lovemyguyz wrote:

Was just trying to figure out this and doing the circuit training at the gym. I am horrible at counting my pool laps, I get distracted and lose count, any suggestions on an easy way to count? I generally just track the time.

@lovemyguyzWhen I was pool walking I used to count the number of steps in a minute and at the end I would multiply that by the number of minutes. I would manually log Walking at 3000 steps and 300 calories because some of the time I was exercising or resting. The calories are probably in line with this link because I wasn't water jogging.  My BMR is 1584 in Fitbit so I was pleased with the effort. You can get a feel from the link of other water activities and compare.

The steps would not go towards badges or show in Lifetime history but if you export the data into a spreadsheet you can see the correct totals. Also, if you click Log, Activities and click the calendar you can get an accurate grand total of steps.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just finished water walking and I counted laps by having a paper and pen at one end of the pool.  I counted how many steps were in one lap, and then ticked off the laps at the end of each lap.  Just wondering if they should count as regular steps or a little extra because of the resistance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds like water aerobics to me with all the extras you do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I counted my steps for a five minute period then multiplied that by the time I walked.  Still, I had to do it twice because I lost count the first time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you count pool walking

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't really have any suggestions, considering that an easy way for me may not be easy for you. Sorry.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Char964 Three years since I posted. There was a slight variation to my pool walking then. I just counted the number of steps across the pool or length ways depending on the size of your Wellness Pool.

I then kept an eye on the clock for the start time and just counted the number of laps then the finish time.

Then manually logging the effort.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Do I understand this correctly? Walking in the pool doesn’t record on the Fitbit 3 like regular walking?  I’m new to this so just wondering- Thank You 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Char964 wrote:

How do you count pool walking

Divinely.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just have a Fitbit HR. Can’t use it in the pool. I just wish water
walking were in the exercise bank since it has more resistance than walking
on the sidewalk.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Me too.
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I just get in and walk 100 laps. Fitbit has no equivalent. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Exactly. And they have such an extensive list. This should be on it.
Best Answer
0 Votes
But none of their products will count steps in water. I had an extensive chat with a fit bit person. I have the HR too.

Best Answer

I am new to this fitbit way of workout tracking, but I can tell you that I AM NOT HAPPY it's a lot of money for a watch that does not do what I expected it would. I will be taking mine back and go back to the old way of tracking

Best Answer
0 Votes

jogger i use my fitbit in the pool and have found that it will count my steps if i am touching bottom with my feet using my arms like a runner also. this allows me to get a good number of low impact steps in 45mins.  i also have the ability to float on my back and do pt so when the shallow end gets crowded i can still exercise in deep water.  when i am floating on my back and going through running motion my fitbit only counts about half but it is great 0 impact exercise and makes me pain free for a day or two

Best Answer
0 Votes