Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rain....

What do you do when it rains and you don't have a gym to go to?  It's supposed to rain today and I'm contemplating just sitting here (I'm at work) or running down into the subway and doing laps in the free area for a bit.... then going to the shopping mall and doing laps there. 

The thing is, I don't like crowds -- people walk too slow for my taste -- and they get in my way... but I'm seeing that as the only alternative -- unless I want to carry a brolly with me, which I really don't want to do since my arm/shoulder is not very happy the last week 😞

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I'm not a member of any gym and I usually do my workout during lunch -- a good walk for about 45 mins.... but the routes I take usually have runners and other walkers and so they're all walking a good pace ahead/behind me and not getting in my way. (in other words, I won't step on them or run into them if I keep going in a straight line.)

Best Answer
0 Votes
25 REPLIES 25

As I recall it's water resistant. Though if you have a rain jacket, it'll keep it dry enough.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I've been on business travel and it's been prohibitively cold outside, I've found doing laps around the first floor of some hotels works well - conference type hotels are best for this (as long as the hallways aren't crowded - I'm with you on crowds and obvlivious slow walkers.) You may have one near you. (As a guest, I'm sure they've had a fitness center and I could have used the treadmill, but I find treadmills agonizingly boring.)

I've sometimes resorted to walking in place - I got 1500 steps during a snoozer of a conference call today. We've had a lot of rain recently, and while I'll walk in a reasonable amount of rain, these have been downpours.

Best Answer

I do a Leslie Sansone at Lunch when its raining. Dont know if you have that option or not

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Unfortunately, it's hard to do a "workout" in the office.  Somehow, I tend to march hard, shaking the windows.. lol -- we're on the 17th floor. 

I may do laps at the local train station (it's underground) and/or the local mall.  Luckily, it didn't rain yesterday and I took the chance and went out.  Good gamble! 🙂

Best Answer

I've been known for being a stubborn woman and walk under a downpour, which is not smart at all. Cat Sad

The subway seems like a good place to run and the mall is great for fast walks. How about going up a couple floors of the mall or your office building? Also, museums are great for getting a bunch of steps on your daily activity Cat Wink

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

I'm facing the same problem today!  I went to the grocery store and walked up and down the aisles this morning, which wasn't bad at all - I only had to step around someone once or twice.   I tried walking under the awning of the shopping center I'm in, but it just wasn't long enough without doing a lot of laps, and one end is crowded with tables. 

Did you end up going to the shopping mall? How did that work out?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Put on rain gear and run in the rain. It's fun!

Best Answer

You are way overthinking it. You can just run around at home too. I got 10,000 steps this morning jogging back and forth in front of my TV. I watched 3 episodes of a show I liked and got my steps in the AC in front of my TV in my pajamas at home. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SaeWill: Running on a rainy day is always fun. But you should wear a proper gear for your activity including a hat and moisture-wicking socks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bhuvana I can't run, and I'm at work and can't shower, so I'm going to give it a pass.   Glad you're having fun with it though!

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have a warehouse store membership, such as Costco, BJ's or Sam's Club, you might be able to do some pretty decent walking there. Stay on the outskirts of the store or go up and down the aisles that aren't too crowded. (Yeah, slow people there drive me crazy as well, but it's good in the rain or on a 110F day!)  

Some shopping malls have been known to have a Mall Walkers club.  Our local zoo and safari park (San Diego) have a set of members that love to go to the park early in the morning, rain or shine, and get their walks in. It's not an official club, but I guess there are enough members that do it.

Donna 

Best Answer

I have a cross trainer in the spare bedroom. It not a fancy one, just a manually operated one. l can do a good 1 hour and a half on it. I also have a static bike which is in the garage. I haven't used it much yet, but it also gives a step count as an elliptical trainer. We also have a mini stepper (like a mini stairmaster)which is good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

When it's rainy/too hot/too cold/no babysitter/whatever, I walk in the house or up and down the walkway between the house and the driveway. My kids have even gotten over how insane mom looks jogging from the back of the house out onto the porch and back for a half hour or so... my husband still thinks I'm nuts, though. 😉 I have been known to put on a good show and jog in place (or back and forth across the room) while watching it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Things I do when it rains:

1. Get wet. 

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

@TheMrsPacma Yes when raining out i will put music on and like dance around the house just to get steps but not when with my significant other it calls it cheating steps because they are dancing steps they are not walking steps but i tell him its still exercise. because the house is so small you cant really find a room to walk back and forth in for a long period of time before you get into someones way

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jamielynn10

Dancing steps actually burn more.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

that's what i say.... but he also is talking about in the car when cant really move my feet so my arms are go all over the place 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Illaia

Do you have access to the stairs? You say you are on the 17th floor, I think that is an easy fix for a rainy day, do the stairs during your lunch. I use to do this when I worked in a high rise. Eventually there was a small group of us that would walk the stairs on the raining day, which in Seattle is a considerable amount of time. I found doing the stairs to be a great challenge, at first it was hard, 40 floor, so start by walking down, half way up, back down half way up, each day increasing how far up I went. Eventually the up wasn't so hard and my lung capacity was great. Add a bit of music and it's really quite fun and likely not very crowded. 🙂

Marci | Bellevue, WA
Best Answer
0 Votes

@HelenaFitbit wrote:

I've been known for being a stubborn woman and walk under a downpour, which is not smart at all. Cat Sad

If you are moving fast enough, there's no difference in being soaked in sweat vs. soaked in rain.  Lightning is a different story.

Best Answer
0 Votes