Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running vs Jogging

I'm very confused between the running and jogging, well to me jogging is well jogging not walking not sprinting like in between and running to me is well idk people say they run for 10km and I don't see how unless they jog for 10km which would take around an hour please help

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Well, in reality, Jogging and Running are six of one, and a half dozen of the other.  I guess the biggest difference is the speed of either, whether someone considers it jogging around the block or running the track.  Back last century when I was on the high school Field & Track, I was a runner, and I ran and ran and ran and ran....  But, that was competition with the goal of running faster than anyone else in that meet.  But, it wasn't a casual jog around the block. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

Jogging is a form of running. Sprinting is another form of running. If someone is propelling themselves forward in a running motion they are running. So it is possible to "run" at walking speed. You will see people 'running in place' waiting for a light to cross the street. They are running.

If someone completes a 10k while propelling themselves forward in a running motion, they 'ran' a 10k whether they took 40 minutes to do it or 75 minutes. Also, if someone takes one minute 'walk breaks' every 5 or 10 minutes during a race, they still 'ran' the race. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GodHenry, as all of the responses have correctly stated, jogging is just one form of running.

Regarding folks who run a 10K in one hour, that is slightly faster than an 10:00 pace, and to my way of thinking, anything faster than a 10:00 pace bumps one up from "jogging" to "striding".  Long story short, there is crawling, walking, and running; and for running at least, there are several sub-categories.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes