Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps from rocking chair???

ANSWERED

I sat down last night and noticed that I needed 1,000 + steps to hit my goal.  I was sittiung down in my rocking chair and watching tv.  I started rociking and before I knew it my fitbit started vibrating saying I had met my goal????  I believe it was because I was rocking.  Anyone else had this to happen?  I will have to be more careful next time I sit in my rocking chair.  Man Happy

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@betty925Rocking will add steps to your device. You can delete those steps by making it an activity.

Accuracy article - click to read

You can learn how to log some things as an activity - click to learn how

Welcome to the forums.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@betty925Rocking will add steps to your device. You can delete those steps by making it an activity.

Accuracy article - click to read

You can learn how to log some things as an activity - click to learn how

Welcome to the forums.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

Betty,

You might be tempted to just take off your fitbitd when you sit on the rocking chair.  But then you wouldn't get credit for all the moving you're doing.  In fact, you can burn 150 calories/hr in a rocking chair compared to only 68 calories/hr in a regular chair.   So, yes, you should definitely log that time as an activity. 

Keep on rockin!  After all, when push comes to shove, it's your calories burned that matter most, not your steps taken.

Best Answer
I have heard that before !!
Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

YES!  I have logged steps while watching a movie and rocking .. it's cheating !!

I don't understant the tracking algorithm of this gadget, but I do love it .. and I'm a rocker, so trying to remember to take it off at movie time 🙂

ROCK ON!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MVA-VT wrote:

YES!  I have logged steps while watching a movie and rocking .. it's cheating !!

I don't understant the tracking algorithm of this gadget, but I do love it .. and I'm a rocker, so trying to remember to take it off at movie time 🙂

ROCK ON!

It might be cheating a little, but not that much actually. You are burning calories when you're rocking; perhaps not as much as going on a brisk walk, but probably just as much as a regular routine steps. The push backwards to rock the chair does burn calories, at least more so than when sedentary. I don't know which Fitbit model you have, but one of the key components of your tracker is a 3D axis accelerometer sensor which more or less works the same as a Nintendo. So it will pick up that acceleration of the rocking movements, and it will likely pick up some, if not all, of the knock of your feet to the floor when every rocking cycle. My take! Have a good day.

Smiley Happy     TW     Smiley Wink

If this tip solved the problem for you, please mark this post solved, as this will be helpful to other users experiencing similar issues.

Best Answer

My fitbit work perfectly and get result as daily basis timely. I able to burn calories 58/hr. Also I sit on my chair and watching TV. However you may reset it for best result. Also @Odyssey13 give guided which may help.

Best Answer