Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strength Training for FitBit Help!

ANSWERED

Is anybody using fitbit to measure for strength training? Mind to share your experience?

I spend more time in gym doing strength training rather than running outside. Even when I do cardio, I would be doing boxing, strength cardio.

I have already bought Fitbit, want to make good use of it. Please enlighthen me!

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I manually log it too.

Actually, I manually log my treadill workouts too, since I'm doing a combination of walking and running.  I use my phone and take a picture of the display after I hit Stop, and then add in what the treadmill said I did (calories, miles, time) instead of Fitbit.

The nice part about using my phone is that it time stamps the picture.  If it says I took the picture at 6:47 and that portion of my workout was 45 minutes, then I know to enter it in Fitbit as 6:02-6:47, then override Fitbit's calorie estimate with what the machine said, which is on the picture I took.

For weight training, I use the Strength app, and it has a section for notes with each exercise.  I note the time that I started with the first exercise and the time that I ended with the last one.  I doubt any of the apps will give you a good calorie count for strength training, though.  What a lot of people do is figure it out once, which is a pain in the butt given the variety of muscle groups/exercises and the rest times in between, and then just use that number from then on.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

I manually log all strength training. Its not step based.

It should pick up some of the boxing steps though.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

I manually log it too.

Actually, I manually log my treadill workouts too, since I'm doing a combination of walking and running.  I use my phone and take a picture of the display after I hit Stop, and then add in what the treadmill said I did (calories, miles, time) instead of Fitbit.

The nice part about using my phone is that it time stamps the picture.  If it says I took the picture at 6:47 and that portion of my workout was 45 minutes, then I know to enter it in Fitbit as 6:02-6:47, then override Fitbit's calorie estimate with what the machine said, which is on the picture I took.

For weight training, I use the Strength app, and it has a section for notes with each exercise.  I note the time that I started with the first exercise and the time that I ended with the last one.  I doubt any of the apps will give you a good calorie count for strength training, though.  What a lot of people do is figure it out once, which is a pain in the butt given the variety of muscle groups/exercises and the rest times in between, and then just use that number from then on.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello Fitbitters, Great to see you here! @V3 Just wanted you to know that I've gone ahead and moved your topic "Strength Training for FitBit Help!" to the Get Fit board in an effort to tidy up the Forums. Also, this post may be helpful to other users with the same inquiry as you. For your reference, you had originally posted your question in the 'Getting Started in the Fitbit Community board, which is dedicated to discussion around how to use the community and its features.

Thanks for your understanding! 🙂

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

V3- I have a Charge HR. I train as a powerlifter. You can log the strength training manually or what I do is log in an excel sheet. Althought, this isn't ideal and mostly defeats the purpose of having a Fitbit- I have learned to modify its usage and use the data as indicators.

For example, at the end of a set of squats I will check my heart rate to see where its located (ie 130-140 and then see how long it takes me to get back to a normal "working" range-for me that may be 90 to 100 beats per minute. It's a great indicator of conditioning and your ability to recover in between sets. If you have a stop watch you can time it as well. I tend to use songs on my spotify playlist to see.  Doesn't help out with your current challenge but gives you an idea on how you can leverage the data to give you insight into your conditioning/goals.

Best Answer
0 Votes