Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey: Emotions about wearing fitbits?

ANSWERED

Hello, 

My name is Laura and I am a 2nd-year anthropology student. I am currently doing research around wearable tech and as a FitBit owner myself, I am keen to find out how people who wear Fitbit's feel about autonomy? Do you feel guilty if you don't hit your step target? What about if you forget your device when you go for a family walk? Has it changed your eating habits? I would love to hear any and every view about your emotions and feelings towards your Fitbit, whatever they may be. No personal data/names will be used in my essay. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
21 REPLIES 21

Doesn't impact my eating in any way.

I use the app called "Pact" and will be charged $5 if I don't hit 10K per day.  So that right there has made me get at LEAST that.  Except for a year ago one time when I was very sick, I have never missed a day in almost 3 years.

Beyond that, weekly challenges DO motivate me, but if I have a busy week and I'm in a challenge and know I can't win, I'm cool with it.  But like today - I don't work until 11 a.m.  If it weren't for the challenge, I might drop my kids at school (8 a.m.) and then come home and do whatever.  But today I am going to take a 10+ mile walk.  My motivation is definitely influenced by the fact that this will most likely seal my win for the week, lol 🙂  SO put it this way:  I like to win.  It does motivate me to get more steps.  But losing doesn't depress me or really bother me much at all. 

Best Answer

Hello, I've owned my fitbit for about 10 months.

On weekdays I hit my 10,000 steps target easily.  At the weekend when my partner is with me all day sometimes we walk 25,000 steps and sometimes only 8,000.  At first I always tried to hit 10,000 steps per day but now I take the good with the bad.  I look at the week as a whole and monitor myself against a 70,000 step total (and usually do lots more).

I have never forgotten my fitbit when going out for a walk, but I think it would annoy me intensely.  Having said that I don't use my fitbit when we are on holidays or are having a special weekend, so I do have a break from the little gadget occasionally.  I think it is a good thing for me to take it off occasionally.

I came to fitbit after being seriously ill, and needing to build my strength back up after having several operations.  Being able to monitor my activity and my improving fitness really helped me to stay on track and aided my recovery immensely.  

The fitbit has definitely improved my eating habits.  I am more aware of my calorie intake.  Logging foods helped me realise how much alcohol I consumed in a week!  That had crept up without me realising it.  Fitbit has also helped me balance my food intake during the day.  I also probably drink more water now.

Fitbit has been a really useful tool for me.  If my fitbit broke today, I would hope that I would carry on with my new lifestyle without it, but I think I would buy another within a few weeks just to keep my health on track.

Best Answer