Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Track Activity = Weights, do you pause between sets?

ANSWERED

Hi everyone,

I just got a Charge 2 and brought it to the gym last night during a workout. I selected that I was lifting weights and it started to track my HR, time, calories burned, etc.

I figured the logical reason for the pause button was to pause your workout in between sets, but I noticed when I did this my displayed HR would decrease fairly dramatically, and when I unpaused it my heart rate would pick back up to an accurate number. This lead me to stop pausing my workout in between my ~20 second sets and just let it run during the entire time I was at the gym.

Does anyone know whether or not I should be pausing between short weight sets? I haven't found an accurate explanation online.

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Welcome to the forums!

I do not pause it only because I dont stop for very long. I rest between sets but only like for a minute or 2 so it was not worth it

Hope to see you around more!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
9 REPLIES 9

Welcome to the forums!

I do not pause it only because I dont stop for very long. I rest between sets but only like for a minute or 2 so it was not worth it

Hope to see you around more!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thanks Wendy!

So if your lifting sets take around 20 seconds to complete for example...

Set 1. 20 seconds, rest 2 minutes

Set 2. 20 seconds, rest 2 minutes

Set 3. 20 seconds, rest 2 minutes

Set 4. 20 seconds, rest 2 minutes
etc.
You still don't pause the workout even though your resting (naturally) more then your lifting?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would leave it running the whole time as to track you HR accurately.  As I do a mix of cardiovascular and weights I just set mine to workout and leave it running the whole session. Hope this helps xx

Best Answer

I also leave it running, even when I have pauses of 3 minutes (for the heaviest lifts).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

If you pause it, a 90 minute workout will be reduced to 10 minutes. I say leave it on when you lift, rest, re-rack the weights, etc. I turn it on entering the gym and turn it off walking out the door.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

I also let it run.  I'll add weights to the bar and/or dumbbells, pace a little, or some such thing.  I turn it on also before a short cardio warm-up.  I'll usually turn it off as soon as I remember when I'm done.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I don't pause it either. I just let it record the entire session for me.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I just got my fitbit but i don’t really pause between sets (up to 2 min rests).

I think that it gives you a more accurate HR reading as well as burned calories. 

I tried pausing it between sets once and it tells me I only burned 3 calories for lifting weights. haha

Best Answer

@lloyd_yoga wrote:

I just got my fitbit but i don’t really pause between sets (up to 2 min rests).

I think that it gives you a more accurate HR reading as well as burned calories. 

I tried pausing it between sets once and it tells me I only burned 3 calories for lifting weights. haha

Wow, sounds like the toughest 3 calories. 🙂

Yes, that's been my experience also. I don't really get the pausing thing--you're burning a bunch of calories during rest also. For very heavy sets, I'll have 8 minutes of rest against maybe 10 seconds of lifting. If I paused during rest, it would be around a minute of tracked exercise overall. It's mind-boggling how high the rest-to-work ratio is in lifting.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer