Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking my fidgeting?

ANSWERED

I've been working very hard to eat healthy and exercise daily, even if some days it's just a 30 minute walk. I got a Fitbit Zip free through my employer and wear it in a band on my wrist, keeping track of everything diligently. Twice in 2 days, people have mentioned how much I move my legs while sitting at my desk in the office, I fidget a lot (ex: leg raises and taps, swings and even basically take steps while sitting. They mentioned I should wear my tracker on my foot while at work because "that has to count for something, you're never still!" 

So my question is... should I put my tracker on my foot while sitting at work? I've been doing some reading and people do talk about fidgeting helping, but is it really enough to be counted as steps throughout my day?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Sparrow86 I agree with @Dominique in that I wouldn't bother with the extra steps unless you were just curious.  Depending on your goals (trying to lose weight or trying to gain weight or trying to increase cardio health, etc.), the important thing is to know what the device typically picks up in the course of a day or week and then make deliberate changes in your activity level to accomplish your goals.

So, if you wear the device on your wrist for a week and log 70,000 steps, then you want to set your goal to be greater than 70,000 steps in a week if you're continuing to wear the device on your wrist.  If you wear the device on your ankle and log 140,000 steps in a week, then you want to set your goal to be greater than 140,000 steps in a week if you continue to wear the device on your ankle.

Sunny - 45 - F - Virginia - Charge 2

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
4 REPLIES 4

I think the main impact of fidgeting is on calories burned (can be an explanation for people who keep staying skinny despite seemingly eating a lot), but it’s quite hard to track with a Fitbit. I would just consider the extra calories burned this way as a bonus, even if they don’t show up in your account. For steps, I wouldn’t bother.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I wouldn't. Its movement and to Dominique's point you are probably burning more calories than if you were sitting still, but I don't think its worth the step count- I am actually not sure it would pick it up. But why not try it and see for yourself what the difference is. You may be more inclined to move extra that day, which is not a bad thing either.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Sparrow86 I agree with @Dominique in that I wouldn't bother with the extra steps unless you were just curious.  Depending on your goals (trying to lose weight or trying to gain weight or trying to increase cardio health, etc.), the important thing is to know what the device typically picks up in the course of a day or week and then make deliberate changes in your activity level to accomplish your goals.

So, if you wear the device on your wrist for a week and log 70,000 steps, then you want to set your goal to be greater than 70,000 steps in a week if you're continuing to wear the device on your wrist.  If you wear the device on your ankle and log 140,000 steps in a week, then you want to set your goal to be greater than 140,000 steps in a week if you continue to wear the device on your ankle.

Sunny - 45 - F - Virginia - Charge 2
Best Answer

Hey Dom, I know this is a bit old, but its safe to count my fidgeting calories burned towards my burn goal for the day correct?

Best Answer
0 Votes