Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking while on stationary bike

So here is my question...due to an injury to my neck, I can only use the stationary bike for the time being. How do I track my steps while cycling?? I want to make sure that I hit my steps per day and/or cardio per day. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Best Answer
0 Votes
48 REPLIES 48

Hi Debi - I do a type of work 2-3 months every year that requires me to sit on my butt for hours every day - like up to 12 and 13 hours. It ruined my fitness in previous years. This year I thought, "I cannot let these people turn me into a big slug who can barely walk around the block!" My co-worker at another job got a stationary exercise bike desk. She let me try it out and I liked it. I researched them and got the best one I could afford. 

So it's been about 3 weeks so far. I don't bike constantly for the time I'm working but I do it consistently.

The best way I found for me to record the steps was to swing my arms while pedaling. As others have said, it doesn't record every rotation of the pedals as a step. I am biking 13-16 miles a day doing this (a few minutes of biking per hour). It is showing over 10,000 steps for me on days when I do this and go about my normal activities and walk during non-work hours.

I know it is beneficial because my resting heart rate is under 60 now (58-59) for the past 10 days. It dropped over 10 points since getting this exercise bike desk.

Just swinging arms works, and it gets both parts of your body moving. I also tried putting the Fitbit on my ankle. It counts steps but for me, did not register heart rate accurately.

Best Answer

I ride the stationary bike every day and I put the tracker on my ankle.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My ankles are much larger than my wrist so that is not an option.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

It won't fit around my ankle either. I tuck in my pant leg or if I have gym pants on with pockets, it goes in my pocket.  

Best Answer

They do offer Leg extenders on Amazon.

I will get beaten up for this but I strap my devices around the pedal. Get my steps and I'm happy.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve been putting the Fitbit under the Velcro strap of my biking shoe. I would guess the same result as you. I wear a polar heart monitor on my chest so I can monitor heart rate from the bike display.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I have done that too. LOL I would not yell at you. I still stand by my post. Me riding an exercise bike is better than me sitting on the couch. Any movement is a good thing! 🤣

Best Answer

You can buy extenders for a very reasonable cost - I am still wearing my regular fitbit band because I don't like the replacements. For me, the extender did not track steps well while riding a stationary bike. I swing my arms and it does much better. Maybe 1 step per each 3 pedals - with the bigger band on my ankle it seemed to pick up no more than 1 of 5 or 10 pedals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ride with my hand on my leg, with the fitbit on my wrist. It comes pretty close. 

Best Answer

I just used my Fitdesk elliptical and it registered it as an elliptical and calculated heartrate...I should have checked first on my step count because I cannot tell as of now whether it put anything in...however it is not a step-based activity, I'm happy it tracked duration and heart rate and ?calories...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I simply put mine in my pocket whilst cycling, 30 minutes works out at about 3k steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi certainly is , put your device in your pocket👍.

30 minutes works out at 3k steps for me 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I loved this idea. I like to do the Fitbit challenges as a motivator. Due to anpermanent back issue  I can’t do my beloved walks any longer. This idea sounds great. Will try it today as it is day one of the Renew Active Challenge. Thank you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Because Fitbit challenges only tracks steps. When we are doing a team challenge steps matter. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Let me know how it goes 👍--
Regards Phill
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a spinning option instead of biking. Haven't used it yet but think it tracks when on stationary bike.

Best Answer

Hi @SunsetRunner It will track your spinning activity, but it won't convert it Into steps.

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My stationary bike has a flexible plastic part that arcs over the top of the pedal. I just take my Fitbit off and strap the band on the plastic part so the back of the band is near the side of my foot and the Fitbit is hanging off the side of the pedal. It thinks I'm using an elliptical and gives me credit for steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks, good idea. I moved on to an Apple Watch about a year ago. Problem solved!
Best Answer

putting my versa 3 in my sock while cycling counts about 80-90% of the steps I would normally walk during the same time. This works for spinning and outdoor rides. 

Best Answer
0 Votes