Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking while on stationary bike

So here is my question...due to an injury to my neck, I can only use the stationary bike for the time being. How do I track my steps while cycling?? I want to make sure that I hit my steps per day and/or cardio per day. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Best Answer
0 Votes
48 REPLIES 48

I have a Alta HR.  I had a worn out strap since I have had it for 4 years now.

I cut the old strap with the buckle on it and made an extension with a couple holes in it for attaching the the buckle side that gives an extra 2 inches.

When I get on the exercise bike, I attach the Alta HR midway between my ankle and calf and it records both HR and steps.

I can see the current HR and step increments from the fitbit app on my smartphone while pedaling.

It gives me two steps per complete rotation.

It records it as an exercise event.

When done, I then take off the buckle extension and put it back on my wrist for normal use.

Best Answer

Biking is a step based workout and you should get credit for any leg based exercise in your steps. Your Fitbit does not count steps it counts arm movement I get credit for waving my arms in steps. You don’t think riding a bike should count towards steps🤪

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also do a spin bike and I allow my right arm to swing when on my bike. You should get credit in steps and time for spin bike or any bike. We all know your Fitbit does not count steps it counts arm movement gees I get steps when I wash my windows not an accurate device.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Active Zone Minutes is the most important measure, anyway.  It is a measure of both intensity and time.  It is backed up with reams of studies from Sports Medicine organizations.  The Active Minute Zones align with the recommendations from the National Institutes of Health.  

Steps were always kind of arbitrary.  The program came from Japan had never had any true definition or critical study to it up.  They were mainly created to sell pedometers.  In the world of smart activity trackers, steps are easy to count but a lot less accurate way of measuring exercise than heart rate based methods.

Best Answer

Steps can be important when you have a Medicare Advantage plan that gives perks (gift cards) for a number of active days a month, counted as steps. My plan uses no method to define "active" but steps. I was using an old Fitbit One to record and report steps, both walking and on a stationary bike. Since my recent upgrade to Inspire 3, I have tried leaving both active, trusting that the Fitbit app could integrate the data they record after reading that the app now has the "mobile" capacity to switch between the two. It doesn't seem to be working. The Inspire recorded 8,091 steps today while the Medicare plan has received 3,821 which must be the number the One recorded. Any advice on this twist? Can I use both Fitbits, one on my wrist full time and the One in a pocket or sock when biking, without the data on the One overriding the Inspire's data?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I track with "Spinning."

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear my Fitbit on my ankle. My strap is not long enough to tighten the watch,vsp I just put it on my ankle and cover it with my sock. I check that it's tracking my heart bit and steps before starting to ride.

I don't think it's cheating. Sometimes I do some arms workouts where I don't move my legs and the Fitbit tracks steps - because I move my wrist. I see "steps" as a concept, meaning that I'm moving and not sitting or laying down.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using the Spinning function on my Inspire 3 based on comments here and elsewhere.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have done the same, and stopped using my Fitbit One, using spinning as my activity, no fitbit in socks or around ankles, no flailing of arms, and it works well enough. The device routinely over estimates "steps" anyway, based on other body movements. My health insurance which gives me bonuses for being active doesn't care about anything but steps, which is a bit 1990s, I know, but it is after all a Medicare program that is serving older people, many probably still measuring activity without the latest tech. For example, connecting phone health trackers is also not an option. It would be great if my health plan would adjust their view of activity level and how to measure it but that won't be happening anytime soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes