Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking: All at once of spread out during the day?

I have a regular step goal of 15,000 steps a day.  I usually (at least since summer began) surpass that frequently.  I have started this week catching my 15,000 all at one time.  Usually, I spread it out or rest in the middle.  It seems to be a game changer. Is there any data to suggest that you get more bang for your buck catching all the steps early in the morning?  My goal is overall fitness but I am trying to lose about 8 more pounds.  Will this speed me along or cause me blisters?  ha!

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

It does not matter when you get them. It will not speed it along either.

Its more about what you put in your mouth instead of exercise

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

@bunnyhollow I think studies have suggested that movement throughout the day is healthier than doing it all in one shot and then remaining sedentary for the rest of the day.  

Because I work a desk job, I spread out my steps during the day.  I try to have 4,000 steps before I get to work.  Then by 12pm-1pm, I like to have at least 6,000 steps.  And then have 9,000 steps by the time I go home at 5pm.  And then I finish up the rest of my steps at home.  Sometimes I have more, sometimes less, but I like having benchmarks to shoot for throughout the work day.

Ultimately, weight loss is mostly about what you're eating.  

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

I get my steps the majority my steps in when out for a walk, the rest are an accumulation of the day.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I have to just slightly disagree with @Heather-S .  I totally agree that it is good not to stay too sedentary throughout the day, but I think there is also good evidence that a single sustained period of getting your heart rate up, and keeping it up, for 20-30 minutes is beneficial.

As usual, balance is everything.  Fitbit helps with its Reminders to Move every hour.  At least 250 steps, which equates to 2 or 3 minutes, every hour is a very good idea.  Most health care professionals agree that long sedentary periods are not healthy.

But also try, especially if your gain is weight loss, to have one sustained period of exercise each day - that only needs to be a brisk 20 minute walk at lunch hour, or maybe just parking your car a little further away from work each day, so you get 20 minutes in the morning and maybe another 20 in the evening.  Walk fast enough so that you still feel comfortable, and could carry on a conversation, but so you feel you are making an effort.  If you have a Fitbit the reads HR, try to get at least into the “fat burn” zone.  If you are feeling really energetic, go for the “cardio” zone.

Even better than parking a little farther away, take the bus, if it is available and possible for you, and walk briskly from the bus stop.  That way you will be getting fitter and there will be fewer cars on the road - less traffic, less pollution, fitter you.  Win, win, win!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think you see the "bang for your buck" right up front because you see a significant calorie burn displayed but as the day goes on and you don't move, it evens out to about the same as if you were doing it in spurts. Some studies show that if you are cardio heavy in the morning it keeps you ahead of your typical calorie burned- but there are studies that disprove that as is the case with just about every study out there. I think you should do what fits your lifestyle best. I do about 10K in the morning before work. I am sedentary at work in addition to working from home so that gives me maybe 1500 steps till I hit the park or the gym later and get the next 7-10K. This works for me and gives me the calories burned I look for at benchmark times... 1000 by 8AM 1500 by 4PM and 2000 by 630PM.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer