Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking on treadmill vs outside

Hello, I have a question for people who like walking.

So I notice that there is a difference between my walking outside and on a treadmill. Outside my max speed is 5.5 km/h whereas on the treadmill I easily walk with a speed of 6.7 km/h. Still, I find it a bit easier to walk on the treadmill? Does that mean that I burn less calories there or is it just the fact that I use my phone while on the treadmill and have more entertainment? Do you think that the both activities are equal?

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

They can be equal, though in your case it looks like for speed, treadmill wins.

Music or video tend to stimulate the mind, and can lead to increased speed or performance.

Compare the calories burned on both treadmill and outside walk, and see which one is greater. Usually the one with higher speed or more active minutes wins.

There's not a huge difference between the two. As you've probably already learned, treadmill doesn't do distance as well. Whatever keeps you walking!

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

If the treadmill is too easy is there a gradient adjustment on it so you walk at more of an uphill angle ? Probably  it will get that heart rate up higher.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey wrote:

They can be equal, though in your case it looks like for speed, treadmill wins.

Music or video tend to stimulate the mind, and can lead to increased speed or performance.

Compare the calories burned on both treadmill and outside walk, and see which one is greater. Usually the one with higher speed or more active minutes wins.

There's not a huge difference between the two. As you've probably already learned, treadmill doesn't do distance as well. Whatever keeps you walking!

I don’t have a Fitbit watch so I can’t compare the calories burned in this way. Thanks for your reply though,however, what do you mean about the treadmill not doing distance as well?

Best Answer
0 Votes

They are different activities. Although they look similar, ambulating on a treadmill does not require maintaining forward momentum of body mass like real walking/running. Instead that is replaced by a component of 'fluttering your legs' underneath you center of mass. Not surprising that it is easier when a machine with a couple HP motor is doing part of the work for you (bringing the road to you instead of you moving down the road). I find that I need 10-15% faster treadmilling to reach the same heart rate as real walking. If I raise treadmill incline to 2-3%, the level of effort is about the same for the same speed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bill_k wrote:

If the treadmill is too easy is there a gradient adjustment on it so you walk at more of an uphill angle ? Probably  it will get that heart rate up higher.

Walking at a higher incline above 5 degrees does raise the heart rate but so does jogging, running or even sprinting.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sure but i can't recommend doing those other things and using a phone or watching tv or other activity to amuse myself at the same time on a treadmill .

Best Answer
0 Votes

@exhile  I think that is fairly obvious. The question here is not about elevating heart rate, but about the difference between using a treadmill and real moving (without mechanical assist) from point A to B.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Certainly the perfectly flat surface of a treadmill is going to be easier to walk than the uneven surfaces you'll find outside.

If you don't have a Fitbit, my comment about distance won't matter.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Bill_k wrote:

Sure but i can't recommend doing those other things and using a phone or watching tv or other activity to amuse myself at the same time on a treadmill .

Realistically, most athletes who jog, run or sprint do not use a phone, watch TV or listen to music to amuse themselves while on a running track. But for a novice user walking on a treadmill in a gym, sure I could see those activities happening. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

@checking wrote:

@exhile  I think that is fairly obvious. The question here is not about elevating heart rate, but about the difference between using a treadmill and real moving (without mechanical assist) from point A to B.

There is no moving from point A to point B on a treadmill. LOL. But yes, walking outside enjoying the scenery while elevating the heart rate does a person good. Increased activity elevates the heart rate thus burns more calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@exhile I'm glad you get my point. But perhaps you should read twice, I said that "real" walking/running involves moving from A to B without mechanical assistance. I did not say that treadmill involves moving from A to B, rather I implied that it does not; it also involves mechanical assistance.

Again, this is about the comparison between using a treadmill and unassisted ambulation, not your favorite form of raising your heart rate. And again, the answers is: To get the same level of effort for the same speed on a treadmill as real ambulation on level ground, the incline of the treadmill should be raised 2-3%. This also reduces impact shock on the joints. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@checking wrote:

This also reduces impact shock on the joints. 

The human body will adapt to the impact shock on the knees if jogging or running outside or a treadmill is done regularly for a month or so as I found out. Otherwise an elliptical or walking is better suited for exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@exhile some will adapt, some will not and develop chronic injuries. Whether you walk, jog, or run, and whether you can adapt or not, reducing impact shock is always a good thing. If you don't want to use a treadmill, please don't (I don't, except for specific rehabby sorts of things). I think one should just recognize the differences along with the similarities. I got nothin' more here - have a good day.

Best Answer
0 Votes