Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285
Don't you want the fitbit to count every step and not just every other step? Can't figure how how anyone thinks a step can be counted if the Fitbit is not on your foot/ankle. I can watch on my cell phone as each step is taken.
Best Answer
Exactly. I realised this early on when I had it on my wrist while
gardening . Only moving my arms mostly and said I had done 20000 steps !
Best Answer
0 Votes

@grmabrta wrote:
Don't you want the fitbit to count every step and not just every other step? Can't figure how how anyone thinks a step can be counted if the Fitbit is not on your foot/ankle. I can watch on my cell phone as each step is taken.

Yes, how can it count each foot step if it's on the ankle of 1 foot?

The earlier devices counted impacts, and attempted to do that despite being on a swinging arm. It was not the swinging that was used, it was impacts. Of each foot landing. And the amount of actual impact to expected impact you could easily calculate that exact stride distance.

This could easily be proved out by the many people that wore wrist devices in enclosures that clipped on-body - and step counts and distance were accurate as ever.

Or you could take your device while on wrist, cross your arms held against chest, and walk 100 steps and see what the device saw.

Used to be that would still give accurate step count.

Of course device on wrist gripping say shopping cart, sees no impacts, and has no swings either - so confusion.

But everyone seems to say the newer devices are all by swinging - I've yet to get someone willing to test and report back results.

I think some have but didn't want to report back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Suzieash wrote:
Exactly. I realised this early on when I had it on my wrist while
gardening . Only moving my arms mostly and said I had done 20000 steps !

Very true.

What is many times not noticed on these bogus steps though - is the distance is minimal as is the calculated calorie burn.

Those are enough steps though it would matter for a likely calm day. If gardening wore you out anyway.

Now rough road drivers see these bogus steps too, but impacts can be bad enough that there is a some good distance estimated and higher calorie burn if done for hours a day.

Used to be an app you could turn on when the driving started, and when you ended the drive it would auto-log a workout that wiped out the steps and calorie burn for that chunk of time, putting in a realist burn for driving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Enjoyed your input. Thanks!! keep on steppin'!
Best Answer

It also registers that I walked if I move my arm.

Best Answer
But if you move your arms like I did when gardening and not walking it
gives an incorrct step count.
Best Answer
If your arm doesn't move, it doesn't register. It doesn't seem to register
walking in the pool whether it is on my arm or ankle. When I bounce from
one foot to the other, it credits me for doing stairs. When I walk doing
swim strokes with my arms, it credits me with swimming. At least I am
exercising but have to walk on land afterwards to get my daily steps.

Sent from my mobile device. 😎
Best Answer

I used to wear mine on my ankle but I am big boned (And have broken bones in my ankle) So the larger band is not large enough to fit. I wish I could get one that was larger. I swing my arms enough if I am just out for a walk. But I am so often carrying something or pushing something & then I register no or almost no steps at all. Once in Sam's club for over a half Hr. up & down all over that big place. My Fitbit said I had taken 30 steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That is frustrating when our steps aren't counted. Try this as if fits up to a 10 1/2 in ankle. Works for me easy to wear and wash too. https://www.amazon.com/B-Great-Compatible-Vivofit-Fitness-Tracker/dp/B077MSF3SD/ref=asc_df_B077MSF3S...
Best Answer
The B-Great ankle band is under $10. on Amazon. The watch (minus the band)
fits into a pocket. I recently got a nylon band to fit on the watch. This
band is bigger than the usual bands & fits on my ankle. It was under $5.
on ebay. The regular large band was too small for my ankle.

Best Answer
0 Votes
That's terrific that you've found something that works for you. The B-Great band works fine on my ankle but I will keep looking for something else that I consider more attractive. Wish the silver mesh band that I bought would fit my ankle but nope, it doesn't. I like what it looks like on my wrist though. Let's keep on steppin'!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I found a Velcro wrap around watch band for the Versa that would probably work for ya. My ankle is small but I have PLENTY of strap left over. I do unclip one side of the band to put it on so that I don't have to pull it over my foot....but mainly because I tend to forget and put my shoes on and then realize I need to switch my fitbit to my ankle for the doggy walk.
Best Answer
0 Votes
The nylon band comes in different colors. I got a light blue one which
fits well so I ordered another one on a different color.

Best Answer
Hi
I only have a fitbit flex 2 very basic. You can, I understand buy
something off amazon which you can use which is flexible. I don't know
which fitbit you have.
Best regards
Suzanne
Best Answer
0 Votes
Oh different colors sounds great. I'll check. Thanks!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I wear my Fitbit on my ankle to. I simply  bought an adjustable stretch band for my Fitbit off Amazon. Also when I’m walking I’m also looking at the app and as I figured it is  definitely picking up my heart rate. The same  artery that Fitbit uses to measure heart rate in your wrist runs through your ankle too so it definitely works.  Wearing on your wrist is fashionable and suggested because it is also a watch and has many features that require  it ti be on your wrist for easy access. So of course Fitbit will say it’s made for your wrist duhhh…But if you want accurate step count and not loose on the heart rate measure you can definitely wear it on your ankles. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sometimes I change it to wrist for sleeping comfort but not always.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a band online that is a wrap, velcro band that comes in 2 sizes.  Am pretty sure one would fit your ankle.  I have the small and it wraps all the way around my wrist to the other side. Is plenty big for my ankle as well with room to spare. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I need to start wearing the Fitbit on my ankle when I am working in my studio also. I move my arms so much doing projects and Fitbit records the movements as steps. Some of it is legit since I am standing while working but I know its WAY over counting.
Best Answer
0 Votes