Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wear that fitbit on your ankle for a more accurate count of your steps and mileage!!!!

After having wore my fitbit on my wrist as instructed, and assuming it was accurate for quite sometime, I came to find out that it is completely inaccurate as I apparently do not swing my arms enough while walking for it to catch all the steps!  I now wear it on my ankle, don't miss a step count or the correct number of miles. I have checked it to be sure of it's accuracy now several times, by re-driving my walking route with my car, having the odometer set to start at zero.  🙂 
Fitbit needs to make an ankle strap for the bit  to slip into, but.......the large band fits my ankle perfectly, so all is well!!!!  Just thought I'd share incase their are others who have noticed that they are only being credited for half their walk!! 🙂 
Have a blessed day, y'all!!! 
Vicki #fitbitankle.jpg

Best Answer
285 REPLIES 285

Same issue for me when pushing a cart while grocery shopping.  Thanks for the tips, everyone, about wearing it on the ankle.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks I 'll look x

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is almost doubled too! I was concerned it wasn't accurate.. is it really that much higher in steps by wearing it on your ankle? Sometimes i hit refresh and the steps go up like 500..i feel like there's something wrong

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think it’s accurate!!! I had (had!!! Lost the chip!!) had the Fitbit flex and wearing it on my wrist missed more than half my steps! I started tracking steps with two different apps on my phone just to verify that it was missing steps! Then I switched to the large band and put it on my ankle, and BOOM! Suddenly my Fitbit was inline with the apps! Apparently I don’t swing my arms enough when walking! 

now though I’ve lost my bit so I’m without my Fitbit and I’m bummed 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you lose it off your ankle?  My wrist strap comes loose from my tracker at one end.  I'm concerned about wearing it on my ankle because I would be less likely to notice if it fell off.  I've ordered new bands hoping that will give me a tighter fit to the tracker, but have not received them yet.  I guess I could also wear socks high enough to cover the band and hold it on when I wear it on my ankle. . .

Best Answer
0 Votes
I actually did lose it while it was on my ankle but I’m assuming that it
was because I put the band on before my leggings that day! I changed
clothes and obviously loosened it! I had had that thing on my ankle for two
years and never had an issue until that day last month where we were at a
campground in northern MI and the temps dropped so I changed clothes....
ugh! Assume I lost it in the campground restroom where I had changed but of
course when I went back it was gone! I’m bummed
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use a string to secure the fitbit around my ankle by threading it in the wrist holes.   Didn't know how it would work.    It works fine and could be used temporarily to try wearing it on your ankle. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great idea. My Alta died and I can’t find a replacement. I’ll be back keeping track soon

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi I only have a flex 2 bit does what I want. Cheers
Best Answer
0 Votes
My Alta HR died also. I purchased an Inspire HR. It took a bit to get used
to it but is an okay replacement.

"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life
through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at
life's realities." - Dr. Seuss
Best Answer
0 Votes
That's a really good idea.

"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life
through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at
life's realities." - Dr. Seuss
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been wearing it on my ankle since day 1, works great.

My sister-in-law saw it in a Facebook picture though and was convinced I was on house arrest, the next few days were hysterical.

Best Answer

Haven't had any problems with house arrest! I realized that my Inspire HR came with a longer strap that allowed me to put it around my ankle. Only 'problem' is that the strap is about one hole short for being able to tighten it on my wrist for sleeping. Fitbit strap makers please note!
The other challenge I am having at the moment is finding the best position for the Inspire when I am using my inversion table. I am thinking I need to hold my phone and use the timer on that rather than trying to use my watch. The inversion table is really helping my back, in case anyone is interested! I got lucky and got a $500 table that someone wanted out of their basement!

R.S.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was just trying to figure out the best way to put the fitbit on me without using my wrist (also a nurse) and came across this thread. Glad to hear many great feedback on wearing it on the ankle! Will try that at work tomorrow and wear long socks to cover them 😄

Best Answer

I wear my Fitbit on top of my sock, around my ankle, and use a string that goes in the first hole on the rubber bracelet on one side and through the clasp on the other side.  I secure it by tying a knot (not too tight but tight enough) on the string that can be later cut off before going to bed.  No one sees it but me because it's winter and I wear long pants.   Before doing this and when I was driving my car with the Fitbit on my wrist, steps were recorded, and should not have been recorded. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the info! I stair climb so I'll use it on my ankle for a more accurate count

Best Answer
0 Votes
Glad to help!
Best Answer
0 Votes

But if your wrist is not catching all your steps, and you are trying to hit a certain amount of steps doesn't that mean you are working harder than you thought you actually were? Isn't that a good thing?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Maybe but I started this post for information regarding accuracy with my
Fitbit flex2 and I'm 72 and happy to get an accurate reading. Still try to
do more than my target. Just saying!!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I also checked to see the length of my stride because it is very different than the default. A person of 6 ft with long legs very different than a person of 5'6" with short legs. Sorter strides need lots more steps for each mile. We each have different goals. Enjoy!
Best Answer
0 Votes