Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight training immediately stalling weight loss?

ANSWERED

As soon as I start working out with weights (like day 1) my weight loss stops or at least takes a long break. This has happened to me many times in my life.

I know I will start losing weight again very soon and I think I'm looking better over these last two weeks but my only real question is WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?

I'm 34 years old, 6'3" 233lb (started at 250lbs)

I cut back my eating, nothing drastic and mix in some cardio. I drop water weight right away 5-10lbs in the first 3 days and then consistantly lose weight every week (1.5-4 lbs). Week 5 I started weight training and haven't lost a pound in 14 days! I'm keeping my calories in vs out right about the same all I did was add in about 15mins of weights every other day or so.

Info about me 

I log EVERYTHING - I rarely eat foods that I can't fully and accuratly log (ex chinese food). 

I have a 15% faster than average motabolism (according to my endocrinologist's breathing test)

I only log my lows on the scale - So I know when I've lost weight

I've been averaging -1300 calories per day by eating roughly 2300 cals and buring 3600 per day.

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Just started it. I like it. I can most def fit in 30min a day.

Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suggest that you also begin monitoring your body fat % to accompany your weight measurements.  You could be losing fat and gaining muscle, or even losing muscle, but losing fat at a faster clip.  I have the FitBit Aria and I love it.  Step on it every morning and it automatically syncs to FitBit as well as MyFitnessPal and Runkeeper.

Best Answer
Yes. I just got one last week. I'm down to 226.5 lb 18.6% fat
Best Answer
0 Votes

I tell everyone who will listen, you do not want to lose weight, you want to lose fat!  Working out with weights increases muscle mass which burns calories 24 hours a day, so you are probably losing fat while increasing muscle mass.  Muscle weighs more than fat so that probably accounts for slow weight loss, but your health is improving.  My suggestion is to weigh yourself once a week on the same day and same time and stop obesssing about your weight everyday, it will drive you nuts.  I don't know how much cardio you do, but I would suggest 30-40 minutes at least 4 days a week, don't ignore your heart, it's a muscle too and the most important muscle to keep you physically fit. I doubt any of these body builders could run a 5 k without stoping to walk, being muscle bound does not make one physically fit, unless they add cardio to their workouts.  Runners and body builders both have an enlarged heart, the runner's heart walls are not thicker but the heart itself is larger so it can pump more blood per beat.  The body builder's heart walls are thicker because it must withstand the increased pressure caused by heavy lifting, but it is not as an efficient pump as the runners heart. The Hospital I used to work for would give it's employee's a free physical once per year.  I had a EKG which showed I had an enlarged heart and was sent to see a Cardiologist.  She asked me what I did for exercise, and when I told her I ran 6-7 miles per day, she looked at my labs, my HDL was higher than my LDL and my triglycerides were 72.  She laughed and explained my heart was enlarged because I was a  runner, and told me she would kill for my lab numbers.  Don't obsess about your weight, and don't forget the cardio.

Best Answer

I know building muscle will help burn fat but cardio and a calorie deficit will burn it faster than simply working out with free weights. I'm already pretty "fit", I can run 6 miles in 66minutes. So my goal as vain as it may be is to look good.

Most of what I've been reading online says that it is very hard or at least hardER to build muscle while at a calorie deficit and that I should "cut weight" through cardio and diet to get my fat down and then build lean muscle mass though working out with weights while eating a balanced caloric diet (same in as out)

While this probably should be a new thread I'm interested in your thoughts on this Corney, Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, It's very hard to build muscle while on a calorie deficit diet.  Muscle needs nutrients inorder to increase mass and/or strength.  I'm glad to see that you have not neglected the cardio aspect of physical fitness.  Some individuals feel if they just lose weight they will become more physically fit, nothing could be farther from the truth.  That's why I get so frustrated by posters talking about IF, 3-5 day fasts, cleansing, detoxifying, 50 K steps per day, while ignoring the important aspect of becoming more healthy and physically fit.  50 K steps per day without increasing their heart rate into their cardio zone is just 50 K steps.

Best Answer