Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weightlifting

ANSWERED

Hey!

I've been really wanting to get into weightlifting but I'm a complete beginner. Are there any suggestions for how I can build my way up to actual lifting?

Also could use any friends that lift for motivation! 

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

If you have a gym membership, here's a beginner's routine:

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/4-week-weight-training-plan-women

If you have a resistance band or some dumbbells at home you can google any number of home routines.

Best advice is START SLOW!!!  🙂  Good luck

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Join a gym with a personal trainer.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have a gym membership, here's a beginner's routine:

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/4-week-weight-training-plan-women

If you have a resistance band or some dumbbells at home you can google any number of home routines.

Best advice is START SLOW!!!  🙂  Good luck

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer
0 Votes

@bfields wrote:

Hey!

I've been really wanting to get into weightlifting but I'm a complete beginner. Are there any suggestions for how I can build my way up to actual lifting?

Also could use any friends that lift for motivation! 

Start with dumbells then get a spotter when you're ready to lift heavier weights.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try:  jerseygirltalk.com 

Check out the weight plan she follows! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

bodybuilding.com has a lot of great workouts.  You can even tailor it to your overall goal.  They do have an app BodySpace that helps keep track of your workouts and even has a built in rest timer.  I've been using it in tandem with my fitbit... no they sadly don't link.  And I really like it

Best Answer

I started out with a trainer having never lifted before and it has been a revelation. If your budget allows, I would highly recommend at least a few sessions with one. I planned to have just a few sessions before training on my own but am still seeing my trainer weekly.

They can ensure your form is correct which is important for two reasons: a) to ensure your technique is safe and you won't injure yourself; and b) to ensure you are executing the exercise correctly so you are working the intended muscles!

They can also set you up with a workout plan to follow when you're training by yourself.

Best Answer
0 Votes