Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do when you get a Reminder to Move?

When I feel that little buzz on my Alta, there a couple of things I do to get in my steps.

Here's my list - what are yours?

1. Walk to the restroom

2. Go to the kitchen to fill up my water bottle

3. Do a couple of laps around my office

4. Walk over to say hi to a coworker

5. .... and sometimes I just ignore it! If I am in the middle of a train of thought, I finish my train of thought and try to remember to get up after that. 

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

Its been really busy for me. So sometimes I ignore.

But most times I will get up and take a lap around my Warehouse.

At Home I will walk around the the house. DH always laughs at me. He doesnt ask any more just shakes his head rolls his eyes. He is not a true Fitbitter.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Sorry to be a spoil sport, but that feature drove me crazy and I couldn't turn it off fast enough.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

At home I just get up and do the steps.  At work I don't usually wear my Blaze so I don't get them.  I usually make a point to try and do those steps at the top of each hour and then check the numbers halfway through the hour.  I usually aim for 500 steps each hour that I'm awake so it's easier to keep track.  Last week I was coming home pretty low with steps so I started doing at least 2000 before I got into the shower.  I'm not that coordinated in the morning so it took a few minutes to get moving.

I do pretty much the same things that @CallieM does.  Although sometimes I take a short stroll through the plant.  That easily puts me over 250, and depending on my route, over 500 without too much trouble.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I have that feature turned off. I don't have a problem with moving throughout the day, and don't need the tracker bugging me unnecessarily.

Best Answer

I usually walk around my work corner building outside or to and from the breakroom. Or, if I'm at home, I'll walk around the apartment complex. 

I try my absolute best to not ignore the reminders. I mean, sometimes, there's nothing I can do (like being in a meeting for 1+hours). But, the move reminders are the primary reason I bought my Alta (office job). So, when they go off and I don't feel like walking, I always remind myself that there was no reason in me buying the FitBit if I'm going to not use it. 

Best Answer

I set a alarm on my fitbit flex so that monday thru saturday at 2:30 P.M. it will buzz on my left wrist and then I know to go and check the mail. We sometimes get it before 2:00 but sometimes we don't get the mail delivered until after 4:00 it all depends on the driver and the day. So if its 2:30 and there's still no mail I walk down the drive way again at about 3:30. I'm planning on setting up a timer for a daily walk to the tracks for twice a day as well. But I think I'm going to just start with once a day till I get used to walking to the track at least once daily for about 2 weeks. And I only started walking to the tracks again yesterday.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@CallieM
I use reminders every two hours to remind me to get up and walk a bit.  Sometimes I stretch too.  I do many of the same things as you.  Go fill up my water bottle, check my mailbox, walk 2-3 laps around the floor in my building or check on work going on in the lab.  I work at a university with gorgeous scenery so sometimes I take a walk around campus.  With a sedentary job, I can get too engrossed behing the computer and forget to move, if I'm not careful.

Best Answer

I turned mine off. Chances are I am in a meeting or on the phone, I can't leave and it just makes me crazy knowing I should move and can't. By the end of the day I make up for it...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

If I’m at home (which is the case most of the time, since I’m self-employed and work from home), I go to my home gym and do one set of benchpress, pull-ups or deadlifts. This doesn’t necessarily give me the "missing" steps, but at least it contributes to my muscle-building goal (adding volume on top of my normal program).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

How do I turn the reminder off? I don`t need it

Best Answer
0 Votes

How so you turn the buz off. I don`t need it, I make up for it later in the day when I go out walking for an hour,

Best Answer
0 Votes

Loving your responses everyone! @jessica88 it cracked me up when you were talking about buying your Alta just for the reminders to move!

@MaxineMary check out this article if you'd like to turn off reminders to move!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I turned it off, but when I used to kept it on, I'll either walk or ignore it.
Best Answer

I get up and walk around the floor of my building. Sometimes I'll use the restroom. I go back the long way to get to the door of my organization and then the long way to my office. I figure I get a good 150 or so steps doing that, so I try to do it twice an hour.

Best Answer

Oh I love another chance to get a green line on my app!  : )

Weekdays I'm at the office so I time my break so I can take a short walk at the end of the hour.....that way I get two dots, some steps, and a few active minutes.....multi tasking!  Other hours I wander to the rest room, go make some coffee, or just go to a coworker's office to talk about a case....whatever needs to happen that hour.

On weekends I don't have access to my gym so I use the buzz to remind me to take take a walk or take the dog out.

Gotta keep moving!

Best Answer

Sometimes I`m sitting at Mass and I get a buz, can`t very well get up and walk. Sometimes I`m standing and cooking dinner and can`t just stop and walk. Then times I`m sitting at dinner or in a restaurant and can`t very well get up and walk. So if just watching TV I wll get up and walk around from room to room. However I usually make up the steps by going outside in the evening and walk 2 1/2 miles in 60 minutes. Also being 77 yrs. old I have some issues with my legs and arthritis so I just do what I can.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I turned it off the first day I had my fitbit. It's nothing but annoying.

Best Answer

One lap around the second floor of my workplace is about 250 steps.  I usually do a lap around the office.

I also time my longer walks to go over the hour mark, so my long walk will be on both sides. 

Best Answer

Usually I like to try to stay on top of the steps and try to get them before it gets a chance to give me the buzz. If I do get the buzz, I try to get those steps by walking around in circles until I get buzzed saying I completed the minimum. Sometimes I feel a bit lazy and don't get up at all for the buzz.

Yours Truly,Geoffrey
Best Answer
0 Votes