Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which one has better benefits?

Hi

I have been doing these following strength training workouts almost for couple of weeks now. Apart from these, I do also some yoga poses for my core.

25 lunges

30 squats

20 shoulder press (5 + 5 lbs dumbells)

60 second plank

30 push ups

30 sit ups

20 overhead press

20 Triceps kickback 

60 second wall sit up...

I do not do these as one full circuit. I split these whenever I can all day long. For example I did plank and shoulder press this morning. May be if time permits, I will do another 1 or 2 in the list in an hour or two. So My question here is, which is better 1) all as one full circuit or 2) split all day long like I am doing it now. 

I see lot of experts here. So I know I will get good suggestions/advice.

Thanks for taking time to respond

Bhuvana

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

It will be more effective if you do not split these up. Part of strength training is the cumulative effort of exercises as performed in a sitting. Doing a couple here and a couple later isn't working the muscles or the heart the same as doing it together. 

Also, I noticed you don't have any sets listed. Are you doing them as one long set, like 30 shoulder presses? For strength (and recovery) it's much better to do them as sets together. So try 5 sets of 6 reps with a couple of minutes rest between. Same with squats. Keeping the reps lower will help with strength. Doing 20 or 30 reps of something straight out is more for conditioning than strength.

You've got presses covered, but I don't see any pulling motions (for back). Dumbbell rows work really well, as do dumbbell deadlifts.  I would consider ditching the tricep kickbacks because the pressing motions you're doing should be working the triceps fine.

There are two workouts here. One could be squats, overhead press, plank. The second could be pushups, situps, press, lunges etc.

You could alternate between these two workouts.  It should take you at least 30-45 minutes to get through each one with 4-5 sets per exercise.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes.. I am doing it as one long set. I will try the way what you said. 

Thanks @WavyDavey

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're welcome. If you can get through 4 of those in a single session, I think you'll be happy with the results. Cheers.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes