Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any advise on how to train for your first 5k?

Im just starting I signed up for a 5k. Any helpful hints? Thanks in advance.Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
24 REPLIES 24

Depending where you are physically, start out building a base, running at least 5 days a week.  Increase you mileage by 10% a week, and at least once before the race actually run 3.1 miles, so mentally you know you can do it.  Do not start at the front of the pack, they will draw you with them, probably faster than your training pace and you may fade half way through, or blow up.  Set your goal to just finish.  Then run a second one with you goal to better you time

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I stated running I found the best way was to just go out 2 or 3 times a week and even of you have to walk it make progress every time.  Be determined to go just a little further every time and you'll be at 5k in no time.  dont worry about times and have fun with it.  what I did when I started was every week i did 1km more.  so week 1: 1km 2-3 times a week.  week 2: 2km 2-3 times a week... and so on.  Be consistant and even if it takes you a while and you walk some times youll make it there 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know rest days are important for C25k - I want to take at least one aerobic class at my gym while i am also doing the 3 day C25k plan - but it means I would have one day that is back to back (no rest in between) have you (or anyone) heard of that being a big deal?  I am new at the running; I have done two run-walk 5ks but this is my first time really wanting to try running one without stopping.  Thanks in advance for any replies!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have found there is little carryover from any other aerobic activity, ie cardio class, cycling, ellipital, rowing, to running.  Where as you are getting aerobically fit, you aren't conditioning your legs for the 5 K.

I still advise running 5 days a week, building up a solid base and increasing you distance 10% a week.  One week before the race run the distance of your race at any pace you can master.  Your goal is to finish and since running is 90% mental and only 10% physical, it's important that your brain knows you can run 5K.  I have run countless 10 K's, 2 marathons, one mini triathalon and followed the same schedule I just outlined.  I never failed to finish, and the only time I stopped to walk was during the 2 marathons to replenish fluids.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would advise you to go on line and read the article "Words to Run and Live By" written by Dr. George Sheenan, published by Runners World.  His thoughts stay with me every time I exercise.  I hope they give you the same encouragement.

Best Answer
0 Votes