Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone recovering from bypass surgery

ANSWERED
Spoiler
hi just recovering from bypass surgery and wondered if anyone else has experience of rebuilding strength and stamina from similar position

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@roylondon welcome to the community . I think recovery is such a personal experience that what may work for one may not work for you. I know when my friend had hers she waited several months before she went to the gym, but she did walk within weeks and her job at the time had a lot of moving around. I think working with your doctor to determine the best regime specific to you is the way to go...

Elena | Pennsylvania

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

@roylondon welcome to the community . I think recovery is such a personal experience that what may work for one may not work for you. I know when my friend had hers she waited several months before she went to the gym, but she did walk within weeks and her job at the time had a lot of moving around. I think working with your doctor to determine the best regime specific to you is the way to go...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Thanks Elena I hope your friend made a full recovery

@emili wrote:

Best Answer
0 Votes

i had a stent rather than bypass after a heart attack. from what i worked out, its very much up to the individual how fast they recover. what i experienced, i was back at work after 2 weeks where as other people arent walking far yet at the same time. i didnt want to be beaten while other people can feel very depressed about the whole thing......especially if you are male. the whole situation makes you feel shameful and that you have a huge weakness. i am not sure how the female mind reacts to it all. 

the bypass recovery varies greatly depending on if the rib cage is opened up or not. my grandmother had her ribs opened at the sternem and it was a long recovery.....from the ribs, not the heart.

all the best to your friend

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, this week my friend is having a surgery so i'm looking for some advice on internet like how to support him and if you'd help me with i'd really appreciate it. What i have to do for him? What to say not disturbing him? He will be operated on a surgery center i've found for him and i was looking for a good center so long and i'm sure everything will be OK. There are highly-qualified surgeons and the staff is very polite and really nice with patients. And i thought to do some facelift for myself tho. If somebody needs a good surgery center, here the link seattleplasticsurgery.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a single bypass while undergoing open heart to replace a bicuspid aortic heart valve.  6 month into recovery and walking/running 25-30 miles per week.  I agree the regime to follow is your surgeons, cardiologist and cardio rehab team.  They had me up and walking the very next day after surgery and was out of the hospital in 3 days. 

Best Answer

That was the most difficult part of my recovery.....the opening of the rib cage....it shifts all those muscles around as well as the stainless steel wire used to hold the cage together as it heals.  The actual incision was never an issue....after 3 month I was considered fully recovered and when my cardio rehab began.

Best Answer
0 Votes