Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do people average 50000 steps per day?

ANSWERED

Who has the time to average 50,000 steps a day!? How can this be possible?

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
932 REPLIES 932

Hey. I know it’s possible. I’d like suggestions, ideas and tips to get 50,000 steps in a day just once to see how I do. Is it possible to accomplish such a goal without running?!🤣

Best Answer

@RenaluvsFaith9 No running needed (I do, but probably less than 10% of the time). For a single 50k day, try taking three walks of ~2.5 hours (early morning, afternoon, evening) at moderate pace (~ 3 mph), minimal/no breaks ( < 5 min/hr). It will be a lot easier if you get to the point where a single such walk is comfortable and not 'taking all you've got'. Also, get to know how many steps an hour you take at a moderate, long-term sustainable pace. From there calculate a plan that works for you, breaking it down into 3-4 dedicated walking sessions. Also helps a bit to make each walk a bit shorter, e.g., 3, 2.5, 2 hrs and take in a good stock of carbs and liquids in the between times.

Best Answer

Absolutely RenaluvsFaith9 it is possible. This is what I do, quite often
(most days in fact, until I broke my foot in an unfortunate accident)

1. I walk early morning, out to the sea to salute the sunrise, stretch,
and walk home again around the bay. A beautiful, peaceful walk to start
the day. Two and a half hours - about 15k steps.
2. Late morning I walk to the gym for a resistance training session, then
to the supermarket for the day's shopping, then home again. About three
hours, and about 15k steps.
3. Late afternoon, I walk out along the golf course on a different
(flatter) walk to the sea, walk the length of the promenade, and home
again. Two and a half hours - another 15k.

The rest of the steps are the bits and pieces around the house.

On a lovely moonlit night I will go out again after dinner for a romantic
cliff top walk. That's when I start to nudge 60,000 steps in a day.

It is not hard to do at all. If you are not working that day.

And I rarely, if ever, run.

And as @GershonSurge notes is likely, I am in my 60s, retired, and a woman.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@RenaluvsFaith9 wrote:

Hey. I know it’s possible. I’d like suggestions, ideas and tips to get 50,000 steps in a day just once to see how I do. Is it possible to accomplish such a goal without running?!🤣

Hey @RenaluvsFaith9 do this:

1. Go for a 1 hour walk, and determine how many steps you took.
  2. Divide 50,000 by that number to determine how many hours it will take to get 50,000 steps.
  3. Walk for that many hours.
  4. Celebrate by getting drunk

Alternately, you can skip steps 1-3 and troll this thread like a fiend.

Best Answer

2. Divide 50,000 by that number to determine how many hours it will take to get 50,000 steps.

bahahahahaha...*evil laugh...laughing burns calories right?

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:

@RenaluvsFaith9 wrote:

If you are really number crunching it, it does work to divide steps in time. I am very extrinsically motivated so I have attached my Fitbit account to things where I can earn points and rewards. Achivemint/Achievement the steps cap for earning points is 32,000 per day. I also used to do the now defunct Leap4Life which had team and individual events. On a nonworking day I might figure I have 15 hours to walk in. For me I can get 3,000 steps in 30 minutes. So if I walk 30 minutes of each hour I can "easily" get 45,000 steps in a day.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I can't believe this post has lasted this long. The question was, how do
people average 50000 steps

per day which is a challenge. Some can do it, some can't. Its that simple.
No more or no less. By the

way, I no longer have my fitbit. My fit bit band would heat up and due to
the sweat I produced and it

made the band bubble up. Fitbit sent me out a brand new Fitbit at no charge
since it was under a

year that I've purchased it. While I had the new one, it happened again and
simple started not

working correctly. I've since then have purchased an apple watch.

Enjoy!
Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you find the Apple Watch? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Here's how to average >100k steps/day with style. Pete Kostelnick is currently running from Kenai, Alaska to Key West, Florida; and doing it unsupported pushing a ~70 lb racing stroller. You can follow his progress on Facebook (search 'Pete's Feet Across America'). I believe he is trying to complete 5400 miles in 100 days. When WIFI is available, he puts up a nice daily blog (on FB), with pictures. Here is the most recent entry - enjoy the journey (text only here):

Day 28 complete
Starting point: Tetsa River, BC
Stopping Point: Fort Nelson, BC
Today’s miles: 71.4
Total miles: 1,516.4...
Last night I was treated to a cozy cabin with a grill. They sold meat and cinnamon buns. I had a great feast!
Today’s miles went by quick somehow, even though I wasn’t in a hurry. Lots of different things on my mind. To start, I saw (perhaps) the best sunrise I’ve ever seen. I started in the dark under moonlight, and I’ll never forget the image of the sun overtaking the stars and moon through the hallway of trees.
Then there was a climb and a descent to keep me occupied. Then somehow I got service on my phone. Throw in some construction and gravel road, and you’re at mile 53. Call Nikki and work on where to stay this week while walking, and you’re at mile 65. Then a nice cruise into Fort Nelson. I liked Watson Lake much better, way too many options in this town of 6,000. Since I left Glennallen on day 8, I’ve had grocery stores on days 10, 17, 22, and 28. Next will probably be day 33, so I stocked up.
Had a few questions on my socks from yesterday. It’s simple—dive in the deep end (navy blue) & swim with the sharks (turquoise).
Song of the day:
Avicii-The Nights

#timetofly @hokaoneone #HOKAclifton #HOKAbondi
#chafesafe @squirrelsnutbutter_anti_chafe
#Ke2Key

Best Answer

Well, I don't accuse anyone, but as an old soldier who did a LOT of foot patrols and advance-to-contact marches over hill and dale and...as a very fit young man, 50,000 a day =30 km a day. Now having said that, we were also wearing combat boots, weapons, ammo, water...gear for battle. A 30 km "walk" would have been brutal. Yes, the British SAS, an extreme special forces,  during the Falklands conflicts did that, but the average citizen would struggle. I also realize runners do 42km marathons...but not daily. I am now 63, considered fit by my GP, and I have had 30 km weekends, with a goal to achieve that, and was bushed at the end. So, in conclusion, I suppose a healthy young person should be able to do 50,000 per day. How plausible it would be to continue that on a daily basis I could not say. I'm not a good judge of that, as all my walking is on trails. Perhaps one day I'll try flat pavement? If someone is walking 30km a day, power to them. Maybe their job is 15km from their home and they walk there and back. Good on them is all I can say.

Best Answer

It really hard..

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree!  I sleep about 5 1/2 hours, I work full time (6:30 to 3:00 PM) and on the go the whole time.  I than coach 3 soccer teams (4:00 to 9:00 PM)  so I am constantly walking running and doing exercises with the team and on a good day I am at like 31,000 steps. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's an honest question when someone is trying to improve their steps. I wonder the same thing.  I work out and I have a physical job and never can achieve 50,000 in a day . I want to know how.  Would appreciate it if you can help. Thx

Best Answer

Well, here is the thing....don't fret about step numbers. 10,000 is not required for guaranteed weight loss. What IS required, is that when you put your head down at night, you have 500 or more calories "in the bank" Take in 1,500 cal, burn off 2,000cal...by walking X amount of steps, combined with calorie ingestion=weight loss. The 10,000 step count....I think, was created to represent the "average"  otherwise sedentary person. If you anything else besides walk...laundry, kids, ANY sport, walk dogs, mow the lawn etc. I have had days where I have been sick or traveling where it is not possible to walk to any degree. If you watch your cal intake, with not much effort still bank 500 cals. It all depends on how fast you want to lose weight or just maintain a healthy weight. Of course, always consult your GP before starting any regime of diet change or exercise. 

Best Answer

@Captain-Canuck,

The 10,000 step goal is based upon research done in Japan during the 1960's. There was a sharp improvement in longevity among people who got at least 9,800 steps a day. Unfortunately, the original research report is no longer online.

If you want more information, I suggest Googling sedentary physiology.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Of course…ANYthing is better than a sedentary existence. Walking is free. A natural fit 🙂 …as I said…put 500 cal in the bank..any way you can, and you are good to go. Walking is just such a natural fit. I realize for those who are NOT retired or independently wealthy, and spend every waking minute commuting or at a desk or behind the wheel have to be more creative.
Best Answer

I came here also for an answer to the very same question.

After being inspired by all those averaging over 50k that it was "easy" i thought i'd try it.

I hiked for 11 straight hours on a Saturday. Got to 75k steps. (35 miles)

I had to commit a whole day to this. My feet nearly fell off.

Is it doable? 50k? Yes sure. But I don't see how one can average this with a FT job, unless your FT job also requires you to walk (mailperson maybe?).

On some of my most active days (including playing sports like soccer), I barely break 30k. To get to 50k, you have to commit to getting to 50k. One of my friends just ran a marathon, and she hit 55k. People average a marathon a day? With a full time job? Come on. That's just not normal. Or easy. If you are retired, or you don't work, and you literally have all day, sure, i can see how this could be easy.

There are people on here with 100k days. Got to be ultra marathoners or something. Or you are walking/hiking for way more than 11 hours in the day. 15-16 hours of the day to get to 100k i'd guess. Or if you are running that's nearly the equivalent of 2 marathons. Come on.Not easy, or normal. Possible? Sure. But you don't fluke your way to that. Train, commit, and execute. AND I'm willing to bet it may require multiple attempts.

my 2 cents.    

Best Answer
Awesome!!! I think I need to go for a hike!! Thank you .
Best Answer

Ya, you pretty much echoed my thoughts and experience. 

The telling of how the doing was done would clarify things greatly 🙂

Best Answer
That was exactly my point!
🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes