Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to burn more calories daily

ANSWERED

I jog 4-5 miles daily before work.  At work I get up and walk two to three times a day for a total of about 2 miles.Every opportunity I get I walk more or go up and down more stairs but I never break 2000 calories burned.  I know it sounds dumb - I know to burn more calories exercise more, but i do have to sit at my desk and work throughout the day.  Any suggestions

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Humans are very efficient machines, especially when it comes to walking/efficent..... and the lighter you get the less calories you burn.  Might want to try kicking up the calories by taking some cardio classes - spin, kickboxing, etc. and/or doing some strength training.

That said.....2,000 calories a day is a lot!!!  I'd be happy with that! 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

When are you checking your calorie burn?  You should check it the next day.  I would think 2000 total a day is about impossible with running 4-5 miles a day, unless you're a Hobbit.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
Here is a link to the TDEE (calorie burn) estimator I used for the example of a woman with a BMR of 1100 burning less than 2000 at a very active level: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ . Keep in mind, a lot of people without activity trackers do well following this if they choose the correct activity level. Since we have Fitbit's we don't need to worry about choosing an activity level, but this can be helpful as a point of reference of what can reasonably be expected.

Sam | USA

Fitbit One, Macintosh, IOS

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes
23 REPLIES 23

Humans are very efficient machines, especially when it comes to walking/efficent..... and the lighter you get the less calories you burn.  Might want to try kicking up the calories by taking some cardio classes - spin, kickboxing, etc. and/or doing some strength training.

That said.....2,000 calories a day is a lot!!!  I'd be happy with that! 

Best Answer

Thanks, good advice - however, time to schedule them in is tough but your are right, I could and should incorporate more weight training.  i guess i'd then just manually include that activity into the fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just have to share my little tip.  I work from my home, and am on the phone a LOT.  Whenever I'm on the phone, especially on conference calls, I walk -- mostly around in circles, because I have a small house.  I log at least 5000 steps/day in that way, and it beats sitting still all to heck.  Try it.

Best Answer

When are you checking your calorie burn?  You should check it the next day.  I would think 2000 total a day is about impossible with running 4-5 miles a day, unless you're a Hobbit.  

Mary | USA

Fitbit One

Still seeking answers? The Fitbit help articles are a great place to look.

Best Answer
Why the need to burn a certain amount? Calorie burn estimates are largely dependant on your estimated BMR (factoring in height, weight, age and gender). For some people with a low BMR a very active activity level will still burn less than 2000 calories. A lot of TDEE calculators use a multiplier like 1.55 for moderately active and 1.725 for very active (described as 5-6 hours a week of strenuous exercise). Well if someone who is small, female, etc has a BMR of 1100, she might only burn 1897 calories for the "very active" activity level. Just saying, we don't know enough about your specifics but it is possible that 2000 calories is a little high for you to aim for. Saying that, it is hard to burn all your calories within your workout, even with a vigorous daily hour, you will still burn more in the remaining 23 hours. So to increase your calorie burn, try to find ways to move more during time where you might not move normally. This can boost the calorie burn quite a bit--it doesn't need to be intense activity replacing sedentary time with light activity can make a difference. For it to reflect in your fitbit stats, it would need to be large enough or step like movements that the fitbit can pick up. Yes, I also agree to check your calorie burn the next day after all 24 hours are factored in. Depending how early you go to bed, you can miss quite a few calories if you only look before you go to bed.

Sam | USA

Accepting solutions is your way of passing your solution onto others and improving everybody’s Fitbit experience.

Best Answer
Here is a link to the TDEE (calorie burn) estimator I used for the example of a woman with a BMR of 1100 burning less than 2000 at a very active level: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ . Keep in mind, a lot of people without activity trackers do well following this if they choose the correct activity level. Since we have Fitbit's we don't need to worry about choosing an activity level, but this can be helpful as a point of reference of what can reasonably be expected.

Sam | USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the link and feedback.  I don't "need" to hit 2000 just a personal goal.  I've found walking around the block at work a few times and extra trip up and down stairs and checking the next morning does the trick.  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

vrj

i just got my fitbit flex at the start of the week and didnt know what to expect.. i work in construction and im up at 4am every morning and dont get home till from work and the gym till late.. im lucky i can walk to work as it takes me 40min to get to the city and im on my feet all day every day.. my average step is bout 27000 and been burning bout 3200 caleries... mate if ya mix it up a bit like quick intense bursts or interval training im sure you can accomplish ya goal...

good luck and keep posting results.. always stay focus

Best Answer

Garth - get on the treadmill for just an hour - you will get some calorie burn from just that hour in addition to VAM - I do it every morning to give me a boost - does not take long - only an hour or so !  I usually do between 5 and 10 miles every morning before work !

@vrj wrote:

I jog 4-5 miles daily before work.  At work I get up and walk two to three times a day for a total of about 2 miles.Every opportunity I get I walk more or go up and down more stairs but I never break 2000 calories burned.  I know it sounds dumb - I know to burn more calories exercise more, but i do have to sit at my desk and work throughout the day.  Any suggestions

Please Join Us in Facebook Rebounding Rocks !
Facebook Walking Rocks !
Facebook Running Rocks !
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same issue. Its hard to get calories burned up. I feel like my steps are up but for some reasons calories burned is low.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel like you should be burning more calories, based on what you said. I think you should be burning around 500 calories, give or take, for 5 miles.
2,000 calories is a lot to burn?

I have my goal set at 2,364 and I reach it most days.

I do the Insanity workout each day though, and I use a special website to calculate how many calories I burned during that.

Most fitbit devices are only good for tracking steps, and calories burned from the walking. If you do exercise other than running and walking, you should really log it manually because fitbit doesn't know how to track that really.

Best Answer
0 Votes

MandyMac, what website are you using to calculate your calories for insanity? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I put on half a stone on a trip to America, when I already had weight to lose. I was in danger of having to go up a dress size so I decided I MUST make a greater effort to lose weight.

I decided to use the calories burned part of my app more. If you look at the times you are asleep or sitting doing nothing, you can see what calories you burn at rest. During my waking times, I always try to make sure I do more than I would normally do in the course of a day to increase my calorie use so more of the spikes are more than the calories used at rest, or more than the usual levels. It doesn't take much to significantly increase calorie use. Instead of going to the nearest loo at work, I walk up a flight or two of stairs. While waiting for the photocopier to finish copying, I do some exercises such as leg raises, jogging on the spot (luckily it is in a room by itself, so no-one will see!), taking the longer way back to my desk. Each spike represents about ten minutes so you can see immediate results.I am surprised about how little you actually have to make to significant increase in calories counts. On the days I use a lot of calories (3,000+), there are taller and greater no of large spikes.  As well as an increase in incidental calories use, I walk in my lunch hour.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"reasonably expected" What is that? I am 70. started running in the last year. Always walk at least 10,000 steps a day, often at my fastest speed, spread my walking throughout the day, fit in an aerobic workout and rarely , but rarely reach my calorie objective. Steps/stairs objectives, no problem, .

Why is this so unattainable

Best Answer
0 Votes

not very lively on here is it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your metabolism slows down as you age, so that is why a lot of people gain weight as they get older, even if their dietary habits stay the same, because your BMR starts to wane (something like a 2% decrease for each decade after age 25).  Staying active and getting in steps is great, but if you're trying to lose weight, it can be harder each and every year. 

How many calories are you trying to burn in a day?  Perhaps that number is not reasonably attainable for your age/fitness level. 

Try increasing your activity or your steps to 12K or 15K.  Also, making sure you do weight training -- that will help increase lean muscle mass and in turn, lean muscle will burn more calories than fat.

Heather | Community Council | Eastern Shore, AL
Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.
Best Answer

Out of all the goals Fitbit sets for you by default, the calories burned goal is the most challenging. I personally like having one goal more challenging than the rest, but if you find it’s unrealistically high for you, it’s not carved in stone: just change it to something more attainable.

You don’t necessary need to burn what Fitbit wants you to burn if you’re happy with the way things are (fitness level, weight etc.).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have a desk job and find it difficult to get "away from the desk". Ask if you can get one of the new adjustable desk tops that raises up so you can stand and not have to sit all the time that you are at your work station. It may help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I burnt 1,800 yesterday doing nothing but going for a short walk, well run chasing my sister on her bike. Is it because I'm a teenager i burn more calories throughout the day? I think when i go to school and have football i will easily burn 2000+, is my watch wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes