Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Steps" While Biking

I bike everywhere and almost never drive or take public transit. I track my rides with my Wahoo GPS bus also where a Charge 3. Wahoo, Strava, and Fitbit are all linked so Fitbit is getting the data. It showing steps while I'm biking. If this is some sort of "Step Credit" as I see people wrote about in the past, then guess that's fine. But if it is double counting calories burned then that's a problem because I am tracking all of my foot through Fitbit and I need as accurate an estimate for calories burned as possible. Does anyone know what's going on?

Personally, I don't care about steps at all. Active minutes are a better measure of activity for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Smart way of looking at steps!

Fitbit is a replace-only system.

Meaning the last thing in will be the stats used in the daily totals.

So your Fitbit came up with steps, associated a non-sensical distance with them since they weren't real steps, calculated calorie burn from that, and logged an Activity Record with perhaps HR info too.

Think of this as a snapshot of stats for that chunk of time.

Wahoo may be the next and sends in a Workout Record with same time stamp (or close enough) with it's better estimate of calorie burn. That overwrote what Fitbit had in the daily stats for calories.

The snapshot of the Activity Record will still show what Fitbit saw, but in daily stats it's overwritten.

Strava now comes in with Workout Record too - same info, same replace.

Look at the Workout Records for Strava and Wahoo - do you really need both coming in?

Usually synced in workouts contain minimum info - if they both have the same minimum info, then do you need both?

Oh - there is no step credit - merely a figure that is a count.

For personal goals or competitions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Steps while cycling are nothing more but side effect of riding on uneven surface. It isn't any sort of "step credit". Fitbit doesn't block steps recognition when you cycle so any bumps in the road will result with adding steps. However, if the device has HR monitor then mostly HR contributes to your calories count. Step count, as far as I am aware, is not contributing factor.

Best Answer
0 Votes