Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v02 Max Accuracy

ANSWERED

I am a 32 year old runner that happens to have a elevated heart rate. I had testing done years ago and there is nothing wrong with my heart, it just beats faster than others. I currently run 3-6 miles 6 days a week on the treadmill, at a minimum of a 7:30 pace. I am a bit frustrated bc my Fitbit keeps telling me my VO2 Max could use improvement with weight loss and increased activity. I am 5'0 and only weigh 105 lbs...and again and running 6 days a week at a decent pace. What gives? My resting heart rate averages between 75-80 and my max heart rate is very consistent during my runs. I find it hard to believe I am in the average fitness level category when I am placing in my age division in 5ks.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Lisbeth636, your Cardio Fitness Score is an estimate based on your resting heart rate (yours is high), age, sex, weight. etc.  The only way to get an "more precise estimate" Cardio Fitness Score instead of an estimate is if you do a run with GPS for at least 10 minutes.  Since you are running on the treadmill, and not outdoors, the app cannot use your actual activity level to calculate the score.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@Lisbeth636, your Cardio Fitness Score is an estimate based on your resting heart rate (yours is high), age, sex, weight. etc.  The only way to get an "more precise estimate" Cardio Fitness Score instead of an estimate is if you do a run with GPS for at least 10 minutes.  Since you are running on the treadmill, and not outdoors, the app cannot use your actual activity level to calculate the score.

Best Answer

Thanks! Do I need to set the activity on my fitbit before I start the outdoor run? I recently ran a 5k and the gps tracker did not kick on. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Lisbeth636, yes, you need to start the Exercise Mode for Run, and then stop it at the end of the run, so that it tracks the full 10-minute (or longer) run.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since you are physically active and a healthy bodyweight, I would expect a lower RHR than 75-80. 

Your profile pic includes a small child. Speaking from experience, those cause sleep issues, which tend to raise RHR. I am not sure how you can improve this...  Remember that FitBit tracks sleep as well as steps for a reason. 

Best Answer

Since you run 5k races, you can use results from those to calculate/check your VO2 max, see the calculator here.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Awesome! Thank you so much for the information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a small dog in the photo, but he is both like a child and definitely disrupts my sleep lol. I have noticed the nights that I go to bed earlier and avoid alcohol, my heart rate starts to trend downward, and then inevitably creeps back up as my schedule gets thrown off on the weekends. I will continue to focus on getting a full night's sleep and see if I can get it to lower further. I also have had a terrible habit of snacking before bed which could be causing some sleep issues.

Best Answer
0 Votes