Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is a reasonable number of steps for a 72-year-old woman?

ANSWERED

I am new to Fitbit, but have been tracking my food intake and exercise in MyFitnessPal for 53 days, with the goal of losing 35lbs (15.8Kg). I read this: http://walkaboutns.ca/walkabout-info/resources/step-count-recommendation/ and noted the recommendation of 6,000 to 8,500 for adults aged 60-70; and this http://munfitnessblog.com/how-many-steps-you-should-walk-a-day-to-stay-healthy/ where it says 8,000 steps per day for women over 60.

I am 72 years of age and in good health. 8,000 seems high to me, so I have set a goal of 6,500 steps per day, which, for me is achievable. I live in a mountainous area, and most of my (daily) walking is uphill, and at a brisk pace. Does 6,500 steps sound reasonable, given my age, and can anyone please point me to evidence-based recommendations?

Thank you. CB_ in Australia

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@CB_, the "reasonable number of steps" is what your body and fitness level says you can handle. I'm in your age group, and I almost always get an excess of 10,000 steps a day. But, I have always been active, and I enjoy walking.  The key for you is to walk as much as you feel comfortable with, and gradually increase the number of steps each day. You'll be surprised at how easy it becomes to get 10,000 steps a day, which is the amount recommended by the American Heart Association.

BTW, I hate it when I go out for a walk and find out the entire trip is uphill both ways!  Smiley Happy

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16

@CB_, the "reasonable number of steps" is what your body and fitness level says you can handle. I'm in your age group, and I almost always get an excess of 10,000 steps a day. But, I have always been active, and I enjoy walking.  The key for you is to walk as much as you feel comfortable with, and gradually increase the number of steps each day. You'll be surprised at how easy it becomes to get 10,000 steps a day, which is the amount recommended by the American Heart Association.

BTW, I hate it when I go out for a walk and find out the entire trip is uphill both ways!  Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I agree with @USAF-Larry. A "reasonable number of steps" is what you think it is. If you regularly get 6,500 steps, that's fine. After you have done that for a while, it may start to seem too easy. That's when you change your goal. But don't set yourself up for failure by making your goal an arbitrary number you know you are not going to get. The brisk pace and the uphill definitely burn more calories than a slow walk over a flat surface. I say that you are doing well.

Best Answer

Thank you, USAF-Larry! CB_

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, Betty. CB_

Best Answer
0 Votes

My neighbor advised me that 10,000 steps or more a day was excessive and possibly a health hazard for a 70 year old person.  Is there any truth to this?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that would depend on your health.  My husband and I are both in our mid seventies .  Our doctor said that we both should both be getting 10,000 steps in daily.  It isn't too hard to walk that amount in, but sometimes we are slugs and sit in front of the TV or computer too much LOL

Best Answer

@LighthouseCandy wrote:

My neighbor advised me that 10,000 steps or more a day was excessive and possibly a health hazard for a 70 year old person.  Is there any truth to this?

@LighthouseCandy, that is not true by any stretch of the imagination. It totally depends on the person, and that person's health and fitness level.  I am well past 70, and I still take 10-mile walks as well as long distance hikes.  Thus, 30,000 steps a day is not unusual for me.

Check out this article:  How many steps a day are enough?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LighthouseCandywrote:

Back in January 2017, while I was still 72 years of age, I was just starting out with the Fitbit/MyFitnessPal combo. I could not picture myself achieving 8,000 steps in a day, so I set a modest goal of 6,500 steps per day. I live in a mountainous area, and most of my (daily) walking is uphill, and at a brisk pace. The good news is that over the months - a 418 day streak, no less - I have shed 27 kg (59 lbs, with 1 lb to go, just to round things off) and have walked the equivalent of the length of India and more! BMI is in the normal range, and I have gone down two clothing sizes, but I still want to trim a bit off my waistline.

I always exceed 10,000 steps in a day and my "best" days have seen >30,000 steps (average 15,000 to 18,000 daily steps).
Am I fit and well? You bet --- but fingers crossed, as these things can change in a flash.

The advice given by @USAF-Larry and @betpchem gave me heart, spurring me on! Be encouraged to do what feels right for you, @LighthouseCandy. Good luck Smiley Happy

Cheers. @CB_ in Australia

Best Answer

What is reasonable is between how you feel and your Doc. Talk to your Doc about how much is reasonable for your level of fitness and go from there.

I am a man but will be 71 next month so I am in your age range and am in reasonably good health.  A couple years ago, I started walking about 10,000 steps most days.  About a year and a half ago, I got a dog so he makes sure that I walk.  We go for a morning walk which is about 8,000 brisk steps.  Then we go home, he has his breakfast.  After that, we go for another slower walk for about 6,000 steps.  After dinner in the evening we go for another walk for about 5,000 steps.  Add in the incidental steps during the day, I end up with about 20,000 steps a day. 

I have lost some weight and feel good so this has worked for me.  My recommendation, if you are healthy, is to keep adding steps.  No reason to stop at 10,000.  My wife bought me a fitbit ionic for Christmas so since then, I have been tracking my vitals.  Today, I jogged for 1.25 miles and felt good after so I will keep doing that about 3 times a week and build from there.  

With this level of exercise, I am feeling better than when I was younger.  What is reasonable is a relative term and is different for everyone.  Forget what someone says is "reasonable" and set your personal goals for you own lever of improvement, building from there.

Best Answer

@CB_just listen to your body. My (soon to be) 81 year old mother has 129,451 steps as of the 6th of January. That's an average of 21,575 steps a day. Her normal average is probably closer to about 15K or so.

Best Answer

@JohnWilliamsplease do not post any more spam in this thread. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 57 years old and walking uphill for me is great because it puts the heart in cardio zone which is what makes it stronger and healthier 

Best Answer

Just take it slow.  I have been trying to reach the 10,000 steps as per recommended however, my ankle gave out probably due to age and a little wear and tear, and is swollen and sore.  I'm elevating it now for a few days but when I get back to counting steps I'll just try to keep moving and not reaching any unrealistic goals.  It's better to be healthy and take it slower than to be a couch potato, right?  Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for replying. I hope your ankle gets better soon jogger I read a bit about Jane fonda last night who's 81 years old and she says her anti aging is due to just keep moving (walking) ! I admire you for your strength and resilience, the best of luck to you. As you say ___bit by bit !! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunnerWalking up a hill is what my physio wants me to do to strengthen my legs.. Older age does weary us and my court is 86m long with a 3m gradient.  He wants me to do 15 minutes of that

One circuit gives me 220 stepsSmiley Happy and also gets my heart up into peak zone.. and the benefit of HiiT of 1 minute up and 1 minute down approx..

@SunsetRunner wrote:

I'm 57 years old and walking uphill for me is great because it puts the heart in cardio zone which is what makes it stronger and healthier 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
Good
Best Answer
0 Votes