Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A BALANCED diet.

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

@Captain-Canuck hey there. Give us more of your perspective about the link or share your strategies for a balanced diet.. we would love to hear more... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

I thought when I saw "balanced" in the title that the article would be yet another propaganda exercise to support the MAD (Meat And Dairy) industries.  Not so.  Good article and thanks for posting.

My current diet:

Plants only.  100% strict

Whole Plants only, 95% strict

Raw only, 90% strict (I cook potatoes always plus a bunch of vegetables and legumes when making curries and soups).

Recommended dose of Amla (powdered Indian Gooseberries) daily

A smoothie every second day with around 100 different dried ingredients (Flax, sunflower seeds, various nuts, lentils, wheat germ, barley, oats, etc, plus some frozen blueberries

I've been aiming for 5% total fat intake and that's actually been easy to achieve.

Best Answer

@Captain-Canuck I came across this article in the last couple of days also. I agree, diets don't work. What does work is changing what is damaging your health in a permanent way. Find solutions to the problems you are experiencing (excess weight, low energy, unhealthy mental health...etc) treat your body well and it will serve you well. Eat healthy and exercise moderately, very much common sense...

Best Answer

@Glenmcd wrote:

Recommended dose of Alma daily

What is "Alma", if I may ask? I don’t think I’ve ever eaten such thing, am I missing something?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@Glenmcd wrote:

Recommended dose of Alma daily

What is "Alma", if I may ask? I don’t think I’ve ever eaten such thing, am I missing something?

Sorry, correct spelling is "Amla" - Indian gooseberries, generally sold in powdered form.  Dr Michael Greger's website "NutritionFacts.org" mentions it quite a few times in his videos.  If you check out the video entitled "Dragon's Blood", he tells you about a study done on 3100 foods to determine antioxidant levels that are actually absorbed.  There were only two foods even higher in antioxidant than Amla, however they have quiet serious side effects, such as mutating cells.  Amla is relatively cheap, the taste is fairly neutral, and being a powder is easy to add to smoothies.  If I'm not making a smoothie in the morning then I just put a half a level teaspoon into half a glass of water, stir it in and drink.  In absolute terms, you'll get slightly more antioxidants from this alone than a meal-size blueberry smoothie.

About to correct spelling in original...

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Glenmcd wrote:

Sorry, correct spelling is "Amla" - Indian gooseberries, generally sold in powdered form. 

I see, it’s Emblica officinalis/Phyllanica emblica (I like examine.com as a source of independant information on supplements). Indeed seems to have several proven benefits on health. I’m personally going to stick to whole fruits and berries (plenty of wild lingonberries (*) right now in the nearby Finnish forests!) and trust I’m getting enough of the good stuff that way,  but I can see the point in supplementing for people who feel they would benefit from it.

(*) I picked up these yesterday:

lingonberries.jpg

I have about 15 such tubs in the freezer. I eat them with Greek yoghurt and muesli, or with oat meal.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer