Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here a keto pro?

ANSWERED

I am new to this site and trying to lose a few pounds. A lot of my friends are on the keto diet but I'm not sure how that's different from the Atkins diet. Does anyone know how to start and what I should eat and avoid eating (besides carbs)? Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I just read an article on CNN titled The keto craze is hitting the mainstream Smiley LOL.

The ketogenic diet is an extreme form of low-carb. You must push carbs low enough for your body to enter into ketosis, a state in which it will use ketones as its main source of fuel. The threshold varies from one person to another, but based on what I’ve read (I’m an unabashed carb lover with no personal experience with keto), it’s about 20-50 grams of carbs per day. You must also keep protein moderate, as if it’s too high, it will be converted into carbs, which may throw you out of ketosis.

If all you want to do is "lose a few pounds", there are certainly easier ways to do it. In the end, all diets work in the way:

comparison_diets.jpg

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

I just read an article on CNN titled The keto craze is hitting the mainstream Smiley LOL.

The ketogenic diet is an extreme form of low-carb. You must push carbs low enough for your body to enter into ketosis, a state in which it will use ketones as its main source of fuel. The threshold varies from one person to another, but based on what I’ve read (I’m an unabashed carb lover with no personal experience with keto), it’s about 20-50 grams of carbs per day. You must also keep protein moderate, as if it’s too high, it will be converted into carbs, which may throw you out of ketosis.

If all you want to do is "lose a few pounds", there are certainly easier ways to do it. In the end, all diets work in the way:

comparison_diets.jpg

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the info! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

To answer your question in regards to Atkins, keto would be similar to the Induction phase of Atkins (20ish carbs a day). With Atkins though you eventually slowly raise your carb intake until you reach an equilibrium of sorts (50-100g ish). While this is still low carb, your body would not be in ketosis.

My recommendations is to read labels for hidden carbs/sugars. They're everywhere! Also, try to get lots of leafy green veggies in addition to the meats, cheeses, and fats that many think are the standard on keto. 

Best Answer