Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I count coffee as water?

I drink about 32-48 ounces of coffee per day.  Can I count this toward my water goal?

Best Answer
0 Votes
26 REPLIES 26
Caffeine spikes your insulin.
.affects blood sugar....good enough reasons not to count it as water. Coffee is a poison and the body tries to expel it...it is a diarhuretic. ...will post sources later....
Best Answer
0 Votes

How about, if I took a caffiene pill with the equivalent amount of caffiene as a cup of coffee, and drank it down with a whole cup of pure water with it?  Can I log that water now?!

Coffee is 98.75% water.

I could hear this argument for some other liquids like a coca-cola, but even then you are still ingesting water with soluable ingredients.  Also, water is the main ingredient.  You should always log your non-pure water drink as calories alongside the actual volume of liquid you drank.  It would be the equivalent as if you ate the raw non-water ingredients whole, then drank the equivalent amount of water.

You wouldn't want to eat 42 grams of sugars in conentrated corn syrup format, so you probably shouldn't drink it just because it's now mixed with 9-10 oz's of water.  However, if you did ingest those 2 things separately, you get to count the water?  Whats the difference?

Best Answer

@SolverWolf wrote:
Caffeine spikes your insulin.
.affects blood sugar....good enough reasons not to count it as water. Coffee is a poison and the body tries to expel it...it is a diarhuretic. ...will post sources later....

OK, didn’t see any sources after all, so here is one from me: Effects of caffeine on human health

Excerpt from abstract:

"Based on the data reviewed, it is concluded that for the healthy adult population, moderate daily caffeine intake at a dose level up to 400 mg day(-1) (equivalent to 6 mg kg(-1) body weight day(-1) in a 65-kg person) is not associated with adverse effects such as general toxicity, cardiovascular effects, effects on bone status and calcium balance (with consumption of adequate calcium), changes in adult behaviour, increased incidence of cancer and effects on male fertility."

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Appearantly you haven't read the other replies or followed this link  https:// www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-drinks/other-healthy-beverage-options/

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Stirringtime: it is unclear whose post(s) you’re responding to (multiple, mutually contradicting claims were made about the effect of coffee in this topic), but the link you included suggests you believe coffee has a net positive effect, when consumed wisely and in moderation.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, I count mine as water because water is the bases for coffee. If I eat watermelon I also count as water. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes if it is decaf black only

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes