Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast Food/Takeout Go To Restaurants?

Curious as to what everyone's favorite options are to eat at when you do eat out? Since starting this diet I try my best to eat out as little as possible but let's face it, I work behind a desk with an office full of grown men who eat out daily and usually want to bring me food back. I usually stick with healthy options like Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread. But i've found there is so much sodium everywhere, even at the healthy places. 😞

What's your favorites?

Best Answer
182 REPLIES 182

Brilliant

Best Answer

I forgot about Taco Bell @JenniferinFL 

Thanks for reminding me 🙂 They have the Power Bowls too which can be modified to reduce calories. 

Best Answer

None of the things you listed I would consider as healthy. Subway, Crispers, or Panera Bread? All of these are cheap highly processed bad carb options.

The best you might do is stick with a chicken Cesar salad with some avocado, no croutons or a meat and veggie meal minus the the bread, pasta grains and no seed or vegetable oils.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello

Best Answer

Agreed 100%  Subway is likely the absolute worst for healthy eating.  Chick Fil A, Qdoba and Firehouse Subs are our best options.  I usually try to find a butcher shop for meals on the road. I keep a backpacker's stove and supplies in my truck when traveling as I am on a full carnivore diet.

McDonalds and several other burger fast foods offer the "ala carte" menu.  Request the ala carte menu and you can order just the burger patties with optional salt and pepper.  Decent option for travel and you want to avoid the white bread bun and sugar-laden ketchup.

Best Answer

This sound really nice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its surprise to see that you saying healthy options like Subway etc.  They too have all the Carbs with artificial flavours, preservatives, colors etc., It better to eat Home food as far as possible. 

Best Answer

I personally have started eating more protein rich options, rather than single out a favorites, its about how much we consume, when we eat it and how often. There is really no bad foods, just need more moderation in our life, that is what I am working on any how. But if I had to pick one, Taco bell has been my go to for healthy Fast food, if this is really even a thing any more. They have calorie counts by all their items, so this allows more things to choose from with out limiting the options. I just keep in mind my Calories  bank and if i do go a little over, I just make sure I stay under during the next meal to offset the overage.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I struggle with protein sources as well.  Can you eat Edamame?  It is a great source of protein!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been diligently sticking to my healthy diet for the past three months, avoiding fast food, alcohol, and other harmful indulgences. It felt fantastic to make such positive changes in my lifestyle. However, recently, we had a corporate party, and my colleagues decided to mobile bar hire. The temptation was real with all the barbecue, hot dogs, corn dogs, and other irresistible treats on offer. I must confess; I gave in to temptation and indulged in a lot of junk food. To make matters worse, I even had a couple of glasses of Aperol Spritz. It was a temporary setback, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the party, I realized the importance of maintaining my commitment to a healthier lifestyle. It's okay to have a little indulgence now and then, but it's crucial to get back on track with my diet and fitness regimen.

Best Answer

I really like chickpeas, they are great on anything and you can eat them hot or cold, and dress them up with other healthy options for a full on meal. My son and I like to add cucumber, bell peppers and some feta chase with pesto Sause. The salad is really feeling, and helps me incorporate other healthy foods into one meal.

I think it is ok to enjoy a little indulgence now and then, its not making it a daily habit that is the hard part. with so many fast food options in this day in age, it really feeds into the busy family life of people who work late hours and or children who are active in sports that go on passed a general dinner time. I like to have fend for yourself nights in my home, due to not everyone likes to eat what I eat and at times, we are all in a mood to eat differently. I am sure to buy many options for those nights so that the temptation to go out and get fast food is limited to when we are all out of the house together and might end up gathering for a dinner with friends and family. We have cue way down on eating out, and not only do I feel much better not having all that junk in my system, its nice to not have to get out around dinner time and be stuck waiting  45 minutes to be seated then another 15 to have order taken and then risk going into hangry mode because you knew you was holding out for a nice dinner with friends and family. That is something I struggle with as well, if I know we might be going out to eat later on, I will not eat as much out through the day so I can enjoy my meal that I know will be higher in fats and calories. I am more self aware of what I order, thanks to this day in age most items have what the calorie count is in the meal all on its own. Cheers to a little self love and enjoying some good food from tiem to time. People need to stop beating themselves up and cycling back into their old habits, just take it one day at a time.

Best Answer

One of my favorites is Rosas Cantina and Tortilla Factory. They make a black bean burrito that is great when you have it with no cheese and add guacamole. Also Soup or salads lets you build your own salad. And Jason's has a great salad bar. If you stick to the salad bar you got a great low calorie meal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So glad to see someone not worrying about sodium. I actually only worry about uptake on magnesium, other lytes are in line. 

Go to "fast food" is Chipotle. They have an app and a drive thru. Love the bowls. Double protein lets me capitalise on that meal and I appreciate the menu flags that tell me where the sulfites are (allergic). I don't tend to calories, only macros, less brain damage that way. It's the KIND of calories you eat, not really how many that matter.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Kesmer, I am concerned about sodium levels and, when preparing meals I omit the salt and salt containing ingredients for other choices. I do, however, realize that some salt is needed and when I do have the occasional meal out, try to make it my sole source of salt for the day. No diet is ever perfect but one can minimize the worse practices as much as is reasonable. My diet may not be the best choice for you and your current nutrient needs. I used to spend considerable time counting calories and find it was useful for me to realize the calories I was consuming. I now have better portion control and principally evaluate my weight daily to help me determine my nutrient needs for the day. It's interesting to me the different ways we all approach diet and exercise to accommodate our individual life styles. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a heart attack August 31. So, when I got out of the hospital September 4, I started a strict cardiac diet. I was eating all kinds of fast food. Now I'm going to Captain D's once a week and getting the Grilled Whitefish and Shrimp Skewer meal, usually with green beans and broccoli. Sometimes I go to Jacks to get their Grilled Chicken Sandwich. Sometimes I get a grilled chicken wrap from Wendy's. The only other place I go is Subway. That's usually roasted chicken on multigrain bread. I miss pizza, burgers, and steak and cheese subs but I don't miss those chest pains. I've lost 54 pounds eating like this and walking as much as I can.

Best Answer

Good for you!!! The trick is to find a diet that you can follow almost all the time. You are right, it is difficult to resist some food temptations all the time. I call myself a practicing vegan, for the simple reason is there are times when that slice of pepperoni pizza is just too good to resist. Interestingly I am less and less tempted since my taste buds no longer respond as positively to the once favorite flavors. I know most of us over consume salt. It is such a small amount that is recommended in a day. But I can now say, I can taste the salt that I used to not even be aware was present. The trick is to continue to work at your diet and "repent" but don't abandon the efforts to eat healthy. 

Ahh falafel, is one of my favorites as well.

Best Answer

I completely understand the struggle to find healthier options when dining out. It's challenging, especially with the prevalence of sodium in seemingly healthy choices. Lately, I've been leaning towards homemade meals to better control my nutrition. London broil in crock pot has become a favorite – hearty and flavorful without compromising on health goals.

Best Answer
0 Votes

CHIPOTLE!!!!! I am a sucker for their burritos but they are 1000 calories for what i get in it. SO i cut it in half and eat one half for lunch and the other for dinner. ugh so good. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I find Taco Bell have the best overall low calorie choices.  Substitute meat for beans and you will feel more full and has less additives.  Any of the sandwich chains believe it or not are the highest.  The bread alone is about 200 calories per six inch. There are several choices from Taco Bell that are under 200 calories that still have the fixings. You can also substitute pico de gallo for some of the higher calorie fillers like rice, cheese, and sour cream (I know. It's not the same, but it is still pretty good).  They have also cut back on sodium, fillers, and some other things you can look up and read about.  Taco Bell is my favorite weather or not I am watching my calories.  The other hot fast food chains always mess up my tummy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go out to eat, to a restaurant or cafe, I always order vegetarian food. Read more about vegetarian food here . Now the most important thing for me is my diet, and I think after losing weight I will still eat only vegetarian dishes.

Best Answer