Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Favorite Recipes for Illness Recovery?

I had a whooping stomach flu over the weekend and I still don't have my appetite back.  What are everyone's favorite foods for when they are sick? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Chicken soup. I keep homemade broth in the freezer, but store bought is fine. To 2 cups broth, add 1.5 cups chopped vegies (carrots, squash, green beans, okra, onion, etc.), 1/4 cup rice or pasta, 1 minced garlic clove and 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 1/2 tsp hearty herbs (thyme, marjoram), spices as desired. Bring to boil, simmer 15 minutes. Add 1/2 cob of corn kernels, 1/2 cup diced cooked chicken, 1/2 cup chopped greens (kale, arugula, chard), delicate herbs as desired (parsely, tarragon, basil), optionally 1 serano minced (seeded and deveined), salt and pepper to taste. Bring back to boil, simmer 5 minutes. Makes 2 bowls. If nausea is still bad, cut back on vegies and meat and increase ginger.

Best Answer

Chicken broth with egg noodles, gaororade, jello and applesauce.. I usually snack 3-4 days after ive been that ill just to try to get my energy back.. No fun at all

Best Answer
0 Votes

I hope you are feeling better @ponydocSmiley Happy Well, I have a very weak stomach, so when I'm not feeling good, I try to drink some chamomile tea and some crackers or a slice of bread with a little bit of butter, in case I'm not that hungry. Now, if I do feel the need to eat, then the chicken soup, as @Finch suggested, is my number 1 option as well. 

I hope this helps you get better. Woman Wink

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

At the risk of repeating everyone, chicken soup and saltine crakers are my go-to. I also drink (watered-down) juice becuase when I'm ill, I do not like the taste of water. It's strange, since water is the only thing I drink most days.

Best Answer