Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fish recipes for those who hate fish

I would like to start incorporating more fish into my diet, but of course I have never liked it! I'm looking for some simple recipes. If anyone knows any that would appeal to a non-fish lover, please post!

Thank you

Amber

Best Answer
0 Votes
10 REPLIES 10

Salmon is the answer !  Here's a super easy weeknight meal....15 minutes and it's on the table...

http://locarbjabberwockey.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/pesto-covered-klickitat-river-salmon/

Best Answer
0 Votes

Salmon kind of intimidates me, I may have to work up to it! I'm thinking maybe halibut or cod to start? Some sweet white fish...I tried making swai the other night, but I couldn't cook it very well! Woops!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Halibut or Cod are great!  I live in the Pacific NW and the hubs caught 80lbs of Salmon last year, so generally tend towards that  Smiley Very Happy

With all fish I recommend (usually) no more than 10 minutes in the oven, and the test of done-ness is to just flake off a small piece.  I never flip the fish either....I used to, but found that it just turns into a big mess since the meat is so delicate.  Good luck, and hope you enjoy.  Fish is such a healthy choice !

Best Answer

Thanks so much for the info! That's probably where I went wrong with the swai! Do you have any advice on grilling it? Should I get one of those fish cages for the grill?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Turn on your oven to 350'.

Slice 1/4 inch thick slabs of onion to cover the bottom of a glass/ceramic baking dish

Put ANY type of fish on top.

Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper

put in oven for 18 minutes ~ just enough time to clean up,  steam broccoli and make a green salad.

Dinner is Served.

Alternatively, use lemon slices, lay fresh cilantro or parsley or rosemary on top of the fish.

Best Answer

I've only done fish on the grill once...have to admit the prep was more than I usually would do - no flipping it!  Turned out great, but was more labor intensive than just having the hubs fillet it and doing it in the oven....

http://locarbjabberwockey.wordpress.com/2012/09/30/grilled-salmon/

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have trouble trying to grill fish and get it cooked correctly.  So I stick to pan cooking for baking it in the oven.  But for people that don't like fish very much, I've found Salmon to be the best solution since it has a wonderful flavor even without any seasoning.  Even albacore tuna is non fishy, or tilapia.  These would be where I would turn to get some fish in the diet.  I'm trying to increase the omega 3 fatty acids in my diet so am trying to incorporate these. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

What about something simple like sardines on toast?  Small fish give all the health benefits without being high enough up the food chain to have built up high levels of mercury and other toxins.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Never actually cooked a filet myself; terrified of drying it out or otherwise ruining it.  

I used to live in the PNW where there's salmon aplenty @jabber_wockey - thanks for sharing those recipes! Maybe I'll give a few of 'em a try..

Emily | Community Moderator, Fitbit

All that stepping got you exhausted? Improve Your Zzzs!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've been vegetarian for the last 30 years and have discovered in the last couple of years that vegetarian diets mean less vitamins (especially B12, Iron, Folic Acid and the Omegas) and I've been forced to become semi-vegan for medical reasons since 2003, so my diet is missing Calcium too.  If you don't mind taking multiple pills a day to give your body everything it needs, then I totally agree with you @AlisonSkinnern, but a vegetarian diet is not the only answer 'cos those poor animals seem to be able to provide the necessary things that the human body needs.

Amanda - a Fitbit Inspire user since 29th September 2019
Best Answer
0 Votes