Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heart rate while drinking

I read through some old posts, but most of the topics talked about resting heart rate changes, not immediate changes.

Ive always been a bit of a drinker,  but never tracked my heart rate until I had an onset of rapid heart rate which has since gone

last night I was out for a few beers (6 beers and a shot total) and after the first beer my HR went up pretty high. My rhr is around 62 but as soon as the first beer went down I started hovering in the 90s and it would go up and down from 80s to 110s.  I seem to be pretty Sensetive to heat, the room was warm, but not hot.  Does anyone else get a similar immediate increase in HR when drinking a few beers?  I am posting a photo of the chart, I had the first beer around 6pm

5530D733-7B60-49C9-B1BD-9FBF93EA1BC6.png

Best Answer
17 REPLIES 17

You might have already considered this, but do you get more active when drinking, walking around talking to people, dancing, or maybe get into excitable conversations about sports teams, politics, or whatever?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

nope. Was just sitting around / standing around chatting. This happened the same the week before at a Christmas party. Pretty much the same thing, no dancing / major activity. Standing around chatting and having a few drinks 

Best Answer

I have noticed a big change in blood pressure since I've not been drinking also my RHR is in the 50's most of the time.  I had a medical issue that I had to address and have stopped drinking completely while on anti-biodics and I'm still off alcohol 2 1/2 months now.  My blood pressure had always been on the low side...under 120 / over 70 but it had been creeping up to close to 130-140.  I've been to several dr. appts, since I'm not drinking and it's now 110/ 70.  there is a connection.  I've also lost weight, a nice plus

Best Answer
0 Votes

the obvious answer is cut back or stop altogether. You can try switching from beer which is heavier to wine. Red if possible which has health benefits if consumed in moderation. I enjoy weekend drinking and my RHR goes up not to mention during. It is partially due to becoming more animated but partially to the fact that booze does have an impact on HR... I also tend to eat/snack while I drink which impacts it as well. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oh, I've never tracked my heart rate after a drink or two, and to be honest, I don't feel a difference. I'll try this though, you made me curious. My dad is in an alcohol rehab centre, and I am very careful when it comes to alcohol, although I can afford to drink a little once in a while. Even though I try to stay away from negative thoughts and fear, running and swimming help me stay concentrated and positive. Alcohol's a family issue, so thoughts about addiction always follow me, but I'm very firm and focused on the things that really matter.

Best Answer

The same day I got my Fitbit was the same day I drank so much! It detected my resting heart rate at 100 after having 4 drinks full of a shot and a half of Don Julio and 2 glasses of a fruity wine drink. This was the only day where my resting heart rate was 100. It usually is around 80-90 on days without heavy drinking. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

About 3 months ago, I cut back on drinking significantly (I used to be a daily drinker). In the last month, there have been 3 nights that I drank. One time I had only one drink, another I had 2 or 3, and the last time I had 3. It didn't matter if I had one or three -- each time I drank, my heart rate went up while I was drinking, and I was not dancing, walking, or doing anything more animated than usual. In all cases I was sitting, watching TV, chatting with my family, etc. Even more interestingly, my heart rate while sleeping was well above my resting heart rate for the majority of the night (like 15+ bpm higher). Also, on those three nights, my heart rate variability dropped significantly -- more significantly when I had 3 drinks (from monthly average of 37 s to 16 ms). These two phenomenon ONLY happen when I drink. For me, there's a clear correlation between drinking and its effects on my heart.

Best Answer

I wonder if conditioning impacts heart rate and drinking.  I don't drink very often, maybe a beer or three once every few weeks, but I also typically run 100-150 miles per month and have a very low resting heart rate (typically in the high 30s or low 40s); even on the rare occasion when I have three beers I don't notice any difference in my heart rate.

Best Answer

Maybe? I'm definitely not what you'd call "well-conditioned". I was sedentary for a long time, especially since the start of the pandemic. Only in the past few months have I been getting out every day to walk and do some very light exercise. But my resting heart rate has been consistently low regardless -- my current RHR is ~58 bpm, which is actually lower than what it was 2 years ago (about 62 bpm). 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When the pandemic reached our shores I was working hard to recover from a broken leg sustained in early 2019, and then I got COVID in late January of 2020; by the end of 2020 my RHR had risen to the mid to high 50s (which for me is historically high).  Unfortunately I don't have any logs of when I drank when I was so out of condition, so I cannot see if there was a correlation between drinking and heart rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

90 - 140 bpm sedentary heart rate while drinking... Its called ADHD, ur sedentary heart rate is probably 70-90bpm, when u drink it immediately increases your bpm by 15-25%, totally normal... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did anyone ever reply to you?  I would be interested in talking to you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AmyB.fitness wrote:

Did anyone ever reply to you?  I would be interested in talking to you.

To whom are you responding?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there! This doesn't happen to me, but it does happen to my SIL. Not every time she drinks but most. We're trying to figure it out as well. Her heart rate will range from 120-170 and she'll just be chillin. if we figure anything out, ill be sure to lyk!

Best Answer

This conversation reminds me of a song that I still listen to ...

"On the first day of March, it was raining,
it was raining worse than anything that I have ever seen.
I drank ten pints of beer and I cursed all the people there,
and I wish that all this raining would stop falling down on me.
And it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink,
and mother, wake me early in the morning ..."
Certainly ingesting a variety of things has the possibility of affecting everyone's heart rate but there are many other factors (described in each line of the song) that can affect it too 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes

This happened to me last night. My resting HR is usually 70, it jumped to 115 after one beer and I stopped drinking because it freaked me out. 😕

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine goes from resting 55bpm to 140bpm ... it lasts for most of the night. It doesn't matter if I drink 1 drink or 10 drinks. It's so scarey and I would love to know why this happens. I'm gutted not to even be able to have a glass of wine at Christmas Dinner!! Does anyone have any anwsers .. 

Best Answer
0 Votes