Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to lower high blood pressure

Hello everyone. I need a little advice. A few months ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. This is partly due to family history. I am currently on the same medication as my mother. I do not want to stay on blood pressure medication for the rest of my life. I need a little advice. I stress eat. What kind of eating plan do you think would be good to go on? I have no idea where to start with healthier eating. I do workout regularly 5 times a week. Any advice anyone can give me would be a big help. Thanks. 

KEEP PUSHING PLAY: Kathryn 

Best Answer
0 Votes
32 REPLIES 32

@ScottHsv,

Thanks for the videos. I watched all three of them. I'm pretty sure flax seed has to be ground to have an effect. 

Here is Dr. Esselstyne's most recent study on arresting and reversing heart disease that was completed in 2014. It also details his smaller study that started in 1985. After five years, only one of 198 patients had a cardiac event. He had a history of severe hypertension and went off the diet for a short time and had a small stroke.

Dr. Campbell explains both these studies in detail in "Whole."

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Klehman1, First, I want to congratulate you for refusing to take medication for your condition, and seek a healthier alternative by changing your lifestyle. 

I highly recommend that you read "The End of Heart Disease" and Eat to Live, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. You will find all your answers there, just as I did. All Dr. Fuhrman's books are highly documented and backed up by thousands of cases of people who were able to reverse all kinds of diseases. The are many great nutritionists out there, but I do not trust anyone like I trust Dr. Fuhrman. If you follow his directions, I guarantee that your blood pressure will go down and you will never need to use any medication for it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique, I lowered the plaque on my arteries by adopting the Nutritarian diet promoted by Dr Joel Fuhrman, and through physical exercise. Just as we burn fat from our body when we exercise and healthy eating, the fat from the arteries will come down, as well. I used to have moderate plaque about three years ago. Last summer, the results to my exam was mild plaque. I am 64, and it took a lot of time for that plaque to build up with my Standard American Diet (SAD). As soon as I moved to Greens, Beans, Nuts, Berries, Mushrooms, and Seeds, ad I started to exercise, both my weight and my plaque came down. My goal is to continue to reverse it as much as possible, and to a continue the Nutritarian lifestyle for the rest of my life. 

Best Answer

@Bogdel: glad to hear you were able to reduce plaque on your arteries! What method(s) was used to assess/quantify the extent of the reduction? Or did you notice it indirectly, e.g. via lower blood pressure, increased cardiovascular performance etc.?

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique, The same method was used to detect it, and to check the evolution (or rather, the involution) of the plaque. They used a computerized devise that allows them to see inside the arteries. They placed some electrodes on both sides of my neck, arms, legs and abdomen, and took pictures of them in the computer. . 

I also read in several of Dr. Fuhrman's books and case studies of people who were able to lower their arterial plaque. I don't know if it can be completely removed (I hope it can and will aim for it!), but it can be lowered, and at least stopped with nutritarian diet and exercise. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Klehman1 

http://thesaltfix.com - worth a read 🙂

Allie
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the additional information, @Bogdel! The last (and only) time I’ve seen a cardiologist was 5.5 years ago (pre-Fitbit). I had an echocardiography, which may have been the same procedure you underwent. All I remember is it didn’t show anything abnormal. I may go back for a routine checkup later on this year. I’d be interested to see how I fare in the stress test. Last time I was so out of shape I had to give up after 10 minutes!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Dominique, Sorry for the confusion! I don't believe that the test I took for plaque build-up was EKG. I had that, as well, but that checks the heart rhythm for atrial fibrillation (that was normal for me, too). I just looked at my papers, and the exam that I took for arterial plaque was an Ultrasound Scan of the "Carotide Artery (Plaque)" which is specifically designed "to detect fatty plaque buildup". I took this test with Life Line Screening. The first time, the result of my plaque build-up was "Mild to Moderate". About three years later, the result was "Mild Plaque Buildup". After the first exam, I told my doctor about the results, and he had me take the test with Kaiser. The results were the same.  

About the same time (3-4 years ago), through my regular doctor, I also learned that I had Prediabetes (my A1C was 6.1) and that my LDL was high. I was overweight at the time, but I never thought that I was "sick". These tests were a wake-up call. I was in my 60's and things weren't going to get better unless I made some lifestyle changes. That's when I purchased my first Fitbit, and I started to do some research on how to reverse my conditions. From my research (and personal experience!) I learned two things:

1. Meds do not reverse the disease; while they cover up the symptoms, the disease continues to evolve, eventually leading to death.

2. Most illnesses are caused by the kind of food we eat and lifestyle we have. In order to reverse the problem, we need to remove the cause. That's when I started to buy Dr. Fuhrman's books, and to follow his principles. I lost about about 38 lbs in the first six months, which brought me back to my ideal weight. At the same time, both my blood sugar and my cholesterol came down to the standard range. 

Needless to say, I am committed to Dr. Fuhrman's Nutritarian lifestyle and I find it hard not to recommend it to anyone who may benefit from it. Thousands of people have been healed of all many serious diseases through his coaching and guidance! I am using conventional medicine for testing and monitoring my health, but to the best of my ability, conventional medicine will be my last solution in treating my diseases. 

Blessings and Health to you and your family!

Best Answer

From personal experience what worked for me was lose weight (yup, dieting...), keep it off (change the eating habits), stop eating things that are high in sodium (canned soups/stews are insane) and possibly cut out coffee. All those together worked like magic.

Best Answer

I think it was due to my medication. I still need to get my eating under control. But I have an addiction to boxed mac ans cheese.

Best Answer

I am a 72 year old woman. I was diagnosed with high blood pressure back in February. My doctor suggested I tried some life style changes before he set in medication. Since I was already quite fit, he basically told me to cut out fat meat and fat dairy products. Since I didn't quite believe this was the root to my problems (I never ate much of them) I started to research the issue, and based on what I found I decided to do a few things.

Now, after four months my blood pressure is down to the lower range of normal! 

What I did:

• Increased exercise
  • drank a small glass of beetroot juice every morning
  • did some breathing exercises daily for two weeks (to help me relax) and after that whenever I felt wound up, and always before measuring my blood pressure.  

After only a few days my blood pressure had started to go down. After three weeks it had gone down by 10 units!

In addition to the above I then also started to do this:

• ate a portion of ruccola salad on most days
  • cut out all (except for special occasions) processed food, in particular added sugar (including artificial sweateners), wheat products, white rice and other starch food. Instead I added more fruit and vegetables, nuts, beans, lentils. Meat, fish and shellfish as before (I never ate a lot of red meat, but I eat chicken every week and fish several times a week). No restriction on certain fats: Olive oil, fat on meat, fat fish (like salmon, sardines, mackerel), fat dairy products (I never consumed much milk, but I adore cheese). Wine for dinner (moderate amounts) on week-ends as before.

Today my blood pressure is sometimes even on the low side, which, on some occasions, has made me slightly dizzy. So now I have decided it is time to cut down on beetroot juice and ruccola salad. I will of course continue with the rest of my new healthy eating, exercise and breathing habits, and whenever I see an increase in my blood pressure I will go back to the daily intake of beetroot juice/ruccola salad.

Best Answer

By eating Lemon syrup with sugar, can help lowering the high blood sugar.

Best Answer

@Allieanders12 wrote:

can help lowering the high blood sugar.

High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) and high blood pressure (hypertension) are two different conditions. What’s being discussed in this topic is high blood pressure

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer