Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to slow down when eating

An interesting article on How to Slow Down When Eating, and how important it is to digesting food and weight control.

"You know the person and maybe you are one.  The person who always finishes their meal about 10 minutes before everyone else does.  The person who gobbles up their food too fast without skipping a beat and then sits around eyeing the rest at the table who are still enjoying their food.

Speed eating or shoveling in food at a hurried pace has its drawbacks"

Read full story here: How to Slow Down when Eating

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Interesting article with some good tips.

This has always been a big problem for me, especially eating meals at work I just seem to inhale my meals.  I have had some success with with putting down my fork after each bite and taking a sip of water between bites as well.

Best Answer

I try to do this. Sometimes Im successful. Some not

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Hi,

Interesting article. In my family it seems that I am the slowest eater, lo.

A family of hearty meat eaters. I enjoy savoring the flavor and eating slower.

Sometimes it works, other times it does not. Just depends on the mood and food

I guess.

M.

Best Answer

I do this constantly. My family has even taken notice. Thanks for posting the link to that article.

"Why are we here? Because we're here." - Neil Peart
Best Answer

Hi Lary found this article interesting I have known I rush eating and by wearing my fir bit realising I am not really stoping to rest when I eat. I have been aware of this for some time. Great article thanks 🙂 for posting 

Best Answer

I had a friend that ate way too fast, and the easiest way for him to slow down was to use his fork with his left hand instead of using his dominant hand.

This forced him to be more conscious of each bite and the muscle memory of using a fork wasn't there with his left hand, so he naturally ate slower than before. 

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

Thankyou for the tip Derick  I will will it a go , may be surprised as i used to be left handed 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

The royal family in England never want to be filmed while eating.  Chewing is not attractive, and actually eating is worse.  Counting chewing would spoil a meal for me.  But if you pretend someone is filming you while you are eating, or if you watch yourself in a mirror you would probably find it very easy to slow down, take smaller bites, keep your mouth shut and not having a big bulge of food in your cheek and you wouldn't be so anxious to cram in another bite before you even swallow the first.  One bite at a time is a good plan even for pop corn.  People eat when they are not eve hungry because the food tastes good, so you could enjoy it lots more if you didn't swallow it quick like bad tasting medicine.  Make the enjoyment last longer.  Think about it.  

..................You can cut salad greens "fine" (smaller) at home or order it that way in a restaurant.  A smaller pile on the fork is not as gross as  huge pieces to cram into a wide open mouth.  

Best Answer
0 Votes