Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stay on track during holidays, vacations and for the rest of your life?

ANSWERED

Hi, My name is Shari and I'm new.  I made a post in "Introduce Yourself" which goes in to greater detail.  What I've learned is that I need to exercise and eat healthy all of the time; including, holidays and vacation and for life.  If I go off track, even a little bit, I'm not able to reach my weight loss goal.  It's a struggle not to eat sugar or anything but healthy foods all of the time.  I need advice regarding how to live this way for the rest of my life.  So far, it hasn't been sustainable and I need it to be sustainable.  Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Glenda replied to this question in the Come say hi & introduce yourself section on 12-02-19 at 04:04.  I'm posting the location of the answer here and voting for it as Best Answer, so everyone can find it.  Her answer really helped me and I want to share it to help others.  Thank you.

Everyone's answers were helpful.  Thank you.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Welcome to the community, @SunsetRunner ! In another post, you said you gained 30 lbs in 3 years, then adopted the DASH approach in May 2019, and then joined Noom after "plateauing". My questions are: 1) did you try to lose in 6 months all of the 30 pounds it took you 3 years to gain, 2) what is your ultimate weight goal and how far away are you from it?

There’s nothing wrong with either DASH or Noom, but there’s a case to be made against attempting to lose too much too fast, and/or to be in a caloric deficit for too long without switching to maintenance. Hence my questions above.

As to holidays/vacations: life happens and it’s OK to be less strict once in a while. Doing the right things (in terms of eating, exercising, life style etc.) most of the time is what matters.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

Thank you for your reply, Dominique.  Excellent questions.  The Noom App told me I could lose 30 lbs. by December.  On my own, I realized that if it took that long to put the weight on, it may take that long to get the weight off.  I realize I'm not going to get back to my 19 year old weight.  I have a friend from China who helped me lose weight, years ago (no sugar, less fat).  When I got down to a certain weight, he said not to lose anymore.  So, I've based my weight goal on his standard.  Plus, it was also a weight where I was healthy with normal blood pressure.  I've lost and kept 10 lbs. off this year (2019) and I have 20 lbs. more to lose.  After re evaluating my progress, my goal is to lose 10 lbs. next year (2020) and the final 10 lbs. the year after (2021).  I put the dates for reference if someone reads this post in the future.  I think losing 10 lbs. a year is a more realistic and attainable goal.  I appreciate your advice about being less strict once in awhile.  I think this is the only way I can do it.  It's good to know that eating healthy and exercising, most of the time, will still help me to reach my weight loss goal.  That was my biggest concern.  Thank you again. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree with @Dominique You need to treat yourself once in while. Don't treat it as a diet but  lifestyle change. I have desserts once in a while. If eating it out my Husband and I always share it.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Thank you WendyB, for the sound advice.  I really appreciate you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome @SunsetRunner 

For me, finding healthier options that satisfy my sweet tooth has been very helpful.  I have a peanut butter chocolate shake powder that I mix with 1/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk.  I put it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and then eat it like ice cream.  So good!

Best Answer

Thank you so much, cathm!  That sounds delicious and I will definitely add that to my treat list!

Best Answer

@cathmThat does sound good will have to try it!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I'm currently on 1,200 calories per day and it's a struggle some days.  I wondered, if I raised my daily calorie intake, would I be more satisfied and be able to maintain a healthy lifestyle more easily?  Although, I realize it will take longer to lose the weight.  I wonder if this would be a more sustainable lifestyle?  If so, I'm not sure what number of calories?  If I find the calories are too high, I can modify it or go back down to 1,200.  Thanks.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Glenda replied to this question in the Come say hi & introduce yourself section on 12-02-19 at 04:04.  I'm posting the location of the answer here and voting for it as Best Answer, so everyone can find it.  Her answer really helped me and I want to share it to help others.  Thank you.

Everyone's answers were helpful.  Thank you.

Best Answer

By the same principle as you left information about yourself for potential readers "from the future", I would like to leave my answer. Rewards help me like everyone else. But I realized that small rewards don't work very effectively for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes