Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make oatmeal taste better?

I bought some Apple & Cinnamon oatmeal, and I just ate a packet. It tastes way mooshy. It needs something sturdy to it, or something crunchy added. I also wouldn't mind being able to add chocolate to the oatmeal or something Smiley Happy

Best Answer
430 REPLIES 430

I put peanut butter and almonds.  Makes it taste better to me.

Best Answer

To add one more idea I stir in a tablespoon of pumpkin puree. It improves flavour and add some creaminess 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good idea! I 'll try it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Two of my favorites! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I soak old fashioned oats in 30-cal low fat almond milk with 1/2 cut-up apple or pear (small pieces), cinnamon, 1/2 tsp maple syrup, dash of coriander and cardamon. After 10 minutes soaking, microwave for about 2 min and your breakfast is ready. Put some roasted hazelnut pieces on top for extra crunch. Or chocolate, raisins, prunes, whatever.Just try adding what you're in the mood for. I haven't used boxed food since I crossed the border of wondering what might fit. Invest in the "Flavor Bible" by Karen Page ISBN978-0-316-11840-8.  It's not a recipe  book per se, but lists of lists of foods that go together. Be creative and stay away from prepared chemistry in boxes! 🙂

Best Answer

I agree, use unprocessed rolled oats. Add salt. If weight isn’t an issue also add butter and brown sugar or maple syrup.

Best Answer

I like to put some heavy cream this recipe as well as the other ingredients listed.  I have been able to shed 80 pounds over two years.  Coffee goes well with it and it especially makes you stay full and satisfied.  I am able to limit my calories, I enjoy the oatmeal's staying power and it's enabled me to eat two meals a day instead of three.  I combine that with walking four miles a day and an hour-long water aerobics class.  I go to the walking track and aerobics six days a week.  Even the LORD took a day of rest, so I take Sunday off.  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
But if you are going to do that, make protein waffles with dry oatmeal you grind in blender with eggs, cottage cheese splash of vanilla and olive oil and some water- so good! Then top with fruit or a bit of maple syrup. Yumm

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

There is no question that steelcut oats are better than instant. I cook for the work week and store it in an airtight container in the fridge. I take out a daily portion and reheat it in the microwave briefly or in a pot with milk. My preferred style is to slice fruit into it while it is cooking. My girlfriend turned me on to dry fruits like dates, figs, and cranberries, but I also use nuts, banana, apple...and it is flavourful and nutritious. No processed sugar required. Give it a go! You won't be disappointed!

Best Answer
Sounds delicious and nutritious.

Brett Crawley
Best Answer
0 Votes
OMG you are a saint!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds lovely. I don’t do sugar either.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

This sounds like it’s going to taste some kinda  good. I will be trying this recipe. Thank you for the heads up!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Extra sugar into oatmeal or porridge isn't needed at all. Sometimes I eat porridge just with milk and oats and a very tiny pinch of salt if necessary. One thing I recently noticed is how different is microwaved meal compared to cooked one. Once I included cooking my porridge/oatmeal every morning into my morning routine I never looked back at the microwave. I believe this is because of how microwave works - it heats up food from the inside while cooking in the pot affects oats and other ingredients from the outside. Now I leave my oats submerged in the milk ( half of the milk used in the cooking, usually 125ml ) for at least 10 minutes and in the meantime, I heat up chopped fruits with a tiny layer of water ( with a pinch of salt if needed ) at the bottom of the pot, as I don't want them to burn. I put the lid on top and let it simmer until fruits will get soften and release juices ( this is where the sweetness comes from ). Then I pour in remaining 125ml into the pot and bring it almost to the boil. Then I add oats and let it cook for a while until it gets creamy. I need to stir it to avoid it being burn. While stirring I can see when it gets thicken enough ( I like my porridge thick and creamy ).

I know it takes longer and probably if not the fact that I have lots of time to cook it fresh before going to work, I probably would stick with quick way but the difference makes me not wanting to cut the corners 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

This looks interesting and I will probably give it a try whenever I have regular oats in the house. Lately I have been a steel-cut girl. Thanks for the guidelines.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hope you enjoy it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I like to add crunchy peanut butter to it, usually a tablespoon or two. Frozen blueberries once the oatmeal is cooked then I add them to thaw real fast. Of course cinnamon and raisins are awesome also. Even apples at the end of cooking so they are firm.

Best Answer

If I use instant, I also add some regular oatmeal to it before cooking.  It makes the texture a little firmer.  I also add slivered almonds or chopped pecans for added crunch.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree about using Old Fashioned Oatmeal. In the winter we eat it every day;more than 25 pounds of oatmeal over 6 months. We cook the oatmeal, then add some frozen blueberries just before we dish it out. In the bowl we add cinnamon, flax seed (I'm not crazy about that but there's no taste), walnut pieces, mini shredded wheat, and half a banana. It tastes great and it's a healthy vegetarian start to our day. I'm fortunate enough to be a morning person so I have this ready after my morning walk and by the time my wife gets up. We've been doing it for years and we're healthy.

Best Answer

Hi Laura,

Few options you can do to make super-delicious bowl of oats are:

• Add a bit of maple syrup to it.
  • You can add finely chopped fresh fruits like apple and strawberries to your oats.
  • To get health benefits, you can add cinnamon powder, flaxseeds and chia seeds to your oats. A little bit of cardamom won't hurt either
  • Add finely chopped almonds, walnuts and raisins.
  • You can alternatively try yogurt instead of milk.
  • Try some overnight oats recipe- they are super healthy and yum!
  • To make it healthier you can add a bit of artificial sweetener instead of sugar.

Hope these help you!

Regards,

Daniel

Best Answer
0 Votes